Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would YOU go to Cuba to enjoy "the best, free healthcare in the world" like Michael Moore?
Heck NO!! I don't want to die in Cuba with NO healthcare. Michale Moore is a LIAR! 50 56.82%
Of course! I will cancel my crappy US health coverage and to Cuba I go! 25 28.41%
I don't know. 13 14.77%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 03:05 AM

626 posts, read 993,023 times

Advertisements

Nirvana-Guy, there are MANY things wrong with health care in the US. You can't honestly be implying that the US system is adequate, can you?

Cuba's health care system is NOT better than the US. However, it does rank pretty close to the US, and they spend a fraction of the money we spend. Moore's point is that if the US was dedicated to universal health care, like Cuba, our system would see much improvement. I don't believe in socializing medicine, but there are some benefits to universal government health coverage (while keeping hospitals private).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 03:23 AM

7 posts, read 24,321 times
Nirvana,

That's a rather overblown and pretentious way of criticizing something, don't you think? Yes, it's true that Cuba is not the happy lands, but it's not as if the American health care system is flawless.

Truth is that it is a very flawed system and it's shame that a country which makes some thirteen trillion dollars a year can't afford better health care for its citizens.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:29 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
I think its funny because the post reflects the same kind of fact cherry picking Moore uses in his film to make points, yet people who like Moore's view are irritated by such tactics when used against their view.

Did we really need Michael Moore to do a shockulamentary on healthcare to realize there are issues that are in big need of being addressed in America? No, he just saw an opportunity to push his agenda and cash in at the same time. Brilliant idea on his part, but his opinion and 100% biased movie making are useless IMO.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
I think its funny because the post reflects the same kind of fact cherry picking Moore uses in his film to make points, yet people who like Moore's view are irritated by such tactics when used against their view.

Did we really need Michael Moore to do a shockulamentary on healthcare to realize there are issues that are in big need of being addressed in America? No, he just saw an opportunity to push his agenda and cash in at the same time. Brilliant idea on his part, but his opinion and 100% biased movie making are useless IMO.
I couldn't disagree with you more. This is an issue that wasn't being addressed by presidential candidates, before the movie. We'll see what effect is has on future debates.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:22 AM

286 posts, read 1,587,250 times
Default Just want to point something out...

The OP is incorrect. Moore did not state that Cuba has the best health coverage in the world. He stated that France is #1 on the list. But, I suspect pointing out what was stated or not stated would be pointless since the purpose of the movie was lost to Nirvana.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:56 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
I couldn't disagree with you more. This is an issue that wasn't being addressed by presidential candidates, before the movie. We'll see what effect is has on future debates.
Maybe not as much, but it was being talked about. And it seemed obvious that it was going to become a front issue without Moore's movie.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:15 AM

793 posts, read 3,122,300 times
I consider Cuba's healthcare system to PERHAPS be better, but a whole host of issues arise that need to be weighed besides simply what is affordable. And what is meant by "Would you go to Cuba?" To partake, is it questioned would one actually reside there to receive universal healthcare? Of course not! And if you suggest otherwise, you are dreadfully naive about the atrocities and human rights violations that still exist in that country. Our healthcare is in turmoil yes, but some in the goold ole USA get a bit too complacent and start to actually believe some place else is better to live when they particularly have emotional ties to the issue of expensive healthcare. The bottom line is simple: all the floats, life preservers, and wooden row boats are UNIVERSALLY (pardon the pun) arriving in Key West, not Havana.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Maybe not as much, but it was being talked about. And it seemed obvious that it was going to become a front issue without Moore's movie.
It was not being talked about by Republican candidates, at all. And since I am not going to vote Democrat (unless Giuliani wins the nomination), that matters to me. I still don't believe it will be a front-line issue with Republicans. This is an issue where Republicans fail to come up with a solution and they continue to dodge questions.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:43 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Default Best documentary film produced yet!

I saw the movie this past weekend it was an eye opener. If America doesn’t have a national health problem, then who and where was Michael Moore filming? There are too many storied like those in the film in this country and too many people who fall through the cracks without getting medical care. If this country was in the top 10 nations for good medical care, then this documentary film wouldn’t and couldn’t have been made.

Michael Moore is the messenger and too many people don’t like the message. Wakeup and smell the coffee folks! The other problem is that too many will condemn the film and refuse to believe anything without going to see the film. It’s easy to put your head in the sand and ignore the issue but this issue won’t go away soon.

In this thread it seems that there is more focus on Cuba and the medical care there. What about the other three nations and the medical services there? There is a story and information in the film other then just Cuba.

This is the best documentary film that Michael Moore has produced and I’m sure he’ll receive an award for it. Well put together, full of information, good photography and a message that can’t be ignored unless you just don’t want to know or care about fellow Americans.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
This is the best documentary film that Michael Moore has produced and I’m sure he’ll receive an award for it. Well put together, full of information, good photography and a message that can’t be ignored unless you just don’t want to know or care about fellow Americans.
I agree. Michael Moore has been improving. I didn't think much of Bowling for Columbine. F-911 was ok, but there was too much emotional rhetoric for my taste. Sicko is a definite improvement. I think that many of the people bashing the movie haven't actually seen it. They're just repeating what they've heard people like Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly say about the movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies