Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:10 AM

5,346 posts, read 4,046,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Your boss will fire you, in all likelihood. For Sarah Palin, the equivalent will be how the voters ultimately treat her. Rather than try and curb her free speech, you can choose not to give it credence and simply not listen. For example, I dislike MSNBC. I choose to show my dislike by not watching that station. Easy enough.
Not everybody chooses to ignore... Naive statement...

Old 01-12-2011, 09:12 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
No there are certain things you can't do, yell fire in a crowded theater for example. Of course one needs to accept the consequences of their words screaming at your boss will have quite predictable consequences. Using the term "war room"? Well the consequences aren't as clear.

The reality is the left is trying to shamelssly connect this event to the right when no such connection exists.
I don't think this is a left or right thing--I think for once, everyone needs to be a grownup vs. fingerpointing, and both sides need to tone it down. You've got Roger Ailes from Fox, MSNBC, and politicians on both sides of the isle admitting that the rhetoric is out of hand and it needs to calm down. Enough is enough.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:13 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,247,679 times
What a clever *****. Palin gets called out on her incendiary map with the gun scope crosshairs over Democrat districts and for her trailer trash class approach to politics. She got pummeled in the media for three days while Representative Giffords' words on 'toning it down' were played again and again. The barracuda remained silent. She had to gather her army: consult allies (becky boy) and strategized her attack. What did she come up with?

"Blood libel" Oh my. This woman just swung the ax with such a force that she split the wound of the Tuscon tragedy wide open. This was intentional, and cleverly planned by Sarah's army, but it may be the thing that brings Sarah down. The mainstream GOP will eat her for lunch and be glad to be rid of her, and the left will keep pounding away.

Quote:
Palin’s use of the charged phrase “blood libel” - which refers to the anti-Semitic accusation from the Middle Ages that Jews killed Christian children to use their blood to make matzoh for Passover - touched off an immediate backlash.
I didn't really think the Tuscon Tragedy would do her in, but this very well might. Oh yeah, and after a 3 day wait she releases this video right before PRESIDENT Obama is to speak.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:14 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
No there are certain things you can't do, yell fire in a crowded theater for example. Of course one needs to accept the consequences of their words screaming at your boss will have quite predictable consequences. Using the term "war room"? Well the consequences aren't as clear.

The reality is the left is trying to shamelssly connect this event to the right when no such connection exists.
I don't think this is a left or right thing--I think for once, everyone needs to be a grownup vs. fingerpointing, and both sides need to tone it down. Denying that it's a problem and trying to deflect is cowardly. You've got Roger Ailes from Fox, MSNBC, and politicians on both sides of the isle admitting that the rhetoric is out of hand and it needs to calm down. Enough is enough.

**EDIT--sorry about the double post. I was still typing and I must have accidently hit save :P

3,004 posts, read 3,885,578 times
Good for her!

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Quote:
Your boss will fire you, in all likelihood. For Sarah Palin, the equivalent will be how the voters ultimately treat her. Rather than try and curb her free speech, you can choose not to give it credence and simply not listen. For example, I dislike MSNBC. I choose to show my dislike by not watching that station. Easy enough.
I dislike both MSNBC and FOX, but I watch both, as well as others. I tend to want a wide exposure to different opinions and slants on news. I feel that helps me to determine a little more informed opinion, of what I think.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:16 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC475 View Post
Not everybody chooses to ignore... Naive statement...
Hardly naive; although this is an interesting argument. "Not everybody chooses to ignore" and what would be the remedy then? I choose to ignore the hateful words of the Westboro Baptist Church but still support their right to say those hateful words. Do you propose free speech should be curbed or is it just Sarah Palin's free speech that is bothersome?

Old 01-12-2011, 09:16 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I don't think this is a left or right thing--I think for once, everyone needs to be a grownup vs. fingerpointing, and both sides need to tone it down. You've got Roger Ailes from Fox, MSNBC, and politicians on both sides of the isle admitting that the rhetoric is out of hand and it needs to calm down. Enough is enough.

I agree it isn't a left right thing. I don't agree the rhetoric is any worse than it has ever been. Civil War, turn of the century mukrackers, FDR, the 60's. American political discourse has always been rough and tumble. I don't believe it promotes violence any more than video games, music sports etc. does.

People are always trying to make sense of the senseless, like this massacre. Sometimes crazy people do crazy things because they are crazy.

I also think the left is despicable for trying to turn this tragedy to political advantage.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:17 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,068,439 times
Why so much time is spent on an individual who went to five different universities to get her degree, quit half way through her governornship of a state that has a population of Kansas City, and who has shown zero interest and capacity in understanding basic fundamental issues and challenges this country faces is beyond me. Wow.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:18 AM

5,346 posts, read 4,046,385 times
Quote:
Hardly naive; although this is an interesting argument. "Not everybody chooses to ignore" and what would be the remedy then? I choose to ignore the hateful words of the Westboro Baptist Church but still support their right to say those hateful words. Do you propose free speech should be curbed or is it just Sarah Palin's free speech that is bothersome?
I'm all for free speech... But there is a line to be drawn... Any public speaker needs to be mindful of any violent metaphors... Which people like Sarah Palin blatantly disregarded for political gain until now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies