Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 12:55 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,020,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
It seemed like a celebration because that's what it was -- a celebration of the value of the lives that were lost, a celebration of the heroes who took down the shooter, who kept the Congresswoman alive and who saved others from the shooter's bullets.

The time to reflect and mourn will be tomorrow when the first of the funerals will be held.
There is precedence to look back and see how other memorials that the President attended and spoke at were conducted. Oklahoma City and Virginia Tech are two that come to mind immediately. The tone, in both of those cases, was significantly different. This memorial should not have been any different in tone. I do not think Obama was to blame for this as the tone of his speech seemed to fit a solemn event better than this pep rally atmosphere. I do believe that the venue and the large number of college kids contributed to this atmosphere. I did not see the families shouting or chanting, as I am sure they weren't "excited" like so many in attendance seemed to be.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:56 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
I am an Obama supporter. That said, I was disappointed. It seemed more like a celebration than a time to reflect and mourn. It was inappropriate.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I know that when (if) I die, I want my memorial service to be a celebration of my life. I would want there to be rock music, cheering, good food and funny or sentimental stories about me and my life and how I impacted others. The last thing I'd want is a bunch of sad people standing around dressed in black playing the violin. Forget that.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:29 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,829,266 times
One of my cousins died when he was in his early 20's .. 21.. 23 . .can't remember, it's been over two decades ago, and we lived over 100 miles away. We visited them time to time, but as we got older, the times became farther and farther apart. He got cancer when he was in his late teens. It took his life about 5 years later.

The funeral service was nice, I am sure. I can't remember a great deal of it either, since I was in my early teens at the time. He had gotten married to a girl he liked? loved?, before he died. He knew he was sick at the time. He didn't want to die without her being his wife. She was crying, softly.

During the service when they began the final part, the laying of the casket in the ground, his brother lost his mind. He started screaming, "Sammy's not dead! He's not dead!" and he rushed for the casket. His father and my other uncle dragged him away. I do remember that part, very well.

People handle fear, joy, love and sorrow in different ways. Maybe these people had to cheer to release their pent up emotions. Maybe they were caught up in the spirit of the moment. Who am I to judge?

Maybe they were feeling like my cousin.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:31 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,334,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Absolutely. Totally inappropriate, tasteless.

It was really disgusting.
Was Oprah there too?

Old 01-13-2011, 02:41 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa
I was particularly offended by the presence of Brewer, Kyl and McCain, the leaders of a party who funded an event where you could "join candidate Jesse Kelly shooting a fully automatic M-16 rifle" at likenesses of Gabby Giffords. I would have had to turn my back when the Wicked Witch of the West spoke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
How soon before you finally get bored with spreading this lie?
Are you saying Jesse Kelly did not do this?
Are you saying that Brewer, Kyl and McCain are not Rs?

What lie?
So sorry that you can't accept truth.

Flashback: Giffords Opponent Had M16 Shooting Event, 'Help Remove Gabrielle Giffords From Office' | TPMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
who are the fools trying to pin this on Obama? what, did I miss the fact that he was holding up an "applause" sign and telling jokes up at the mic?
Yaknow, Bush made jokes about not finding WMDs even though 4,000+ US military were killed; over 30,000 wounded and over 100,000 Iraqis were dead as a result of it.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yaknow, Bush made jokes about not finding WMDs even though 4,000+ US military were killed; over 30,000 wounded and over 100,000 Iraqis were dead as a result of it.
When was this?

Old 01-13-2011, 02:56 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,012,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
When was this?
Bush takes heat for WMD jokes - CNN

Old 01-13-2011, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Ok. Who is President now? A guy that used handicapped people as a joke.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfurm View Post
I've been to three this year...and they buried my Mom when I was 12. So nope been there and done it. Both of my Grandparents have passed in the last year...no laughing at their funeral. I'd be disgusted if anyone laughed at my grandparents funeral much less my Mothers.

Time to grow up don't you think? Also on that side....I'm sure after the formal service, with family and friends in their get together, that's when the stories about said deceased come out. I have no problem with that.
So sorry that you can only look at your dead loved ones with heaviness.

One of my dear friends died and his eulogy was light and wonderful and a celebration of his life.
We all stood and told anecdotes that made us laugh and cry.
It brought such joy and happiness to us that we were fortunate enough to have had him, and all of us, in our lives.

Grow up?
Perhaps you can take your own advice.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Answer the question. Is Obama your Messiah or something? Are we always supposed to heed what our President calls on us to do? Don't you realize how bizarre that sounds???
Your post is divisive; if that's what you want, that's what you'll get.
You choose to add to the divisiveness of politics; this makes you part of the problem, not the solution.

No need to respond...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies