Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 07:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times

Advertisements

IMHO the definition of gun control is simple.

It is the ability to select a legitimate target and hit it with the first shot.

There is no need for further controls on law abiding citizens. Any citizen should be able to purchase, own and carry any weapon they please for whatever reason they please. If they use the gun to harm someone without the overriding reason of defense of self, family and strangers under assault the gun user must take the responsibility and face the proper penalties under law. Simply stated it is carry whatever you want but be responsible for what you shoot.

I would stop an assault with deadly force without remorse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 08:38 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,419,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
aren't the criminals to blame for this?

Do you have insurance?
Do you have a fire extinguisher in your home?
Not entirely, yes, and yes.

I think in many cases the threat is way smaller than the perception of the threat, and the media is in large part to blame for this. I also didn't hover over my children at the playground in fear of abduction when they were small. They even (gasp!) walked themselves home from school at age 9.

I have insurance and a fire extinguisher because falling branches or a house fire is exponentially more likely to impact our lives than is an armed attacker.

I protect against reasonable threats, not every worst-case scenario. It's a quality-of-life thing, for me.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:54 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
Not entirely, yes, and yes.

I think in many cases the threat is way smaller than the perception of the threat, and the media is in large part to blame for this.

I have insurance and a fire extinguisher because falling branches or a house fire is exponentially more likely to impact our lives than is an armed attacker.

I protect against reasonable threats, not every worst-case scenario. It's a quality-of-life thing, for me.
Who else is to blame?

Why do you have insurance?
Because of the possibility of damage to your home.

Why do you have a fire extinguisher?
In case there is a fire.

How often have you made a claim for damage?

How often has your house caught on fire?

Quote:
I also didn't hover over my children at the playground in fear of abduction when they were small. They even (gasp!) walked themselves home from school at age 9.
It is a wonder they are still alive...LOL
We used to roam around the entire day without any supervision,I used to ride my bike to school(10 miles or so) by myself as well....funny how THAT has all changed.
Of course,that was in Australia.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
When I was a kid we could carry around Daisy Air Rifles without anyone commenting. But we had not been trained to be fearful of everything in the late 1950's.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:30 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,419,035 times
Quote:
Who else is to blame?

Why do you have insurance?
Because of the possibility of damage to your home.

Why do you have a fire extinguisher?
In case there is a fire.

How often have you made a claim for damage?

How often has your house caught on fire?
Our deductible is so high that we don't make claims for routine damages. But we've definitely had tree damage that others would have filed for.

And the house I own was completely gutted by fire in 1991. It happens. My family was kept from being ruined by a good homeowner's policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
When I was a kid we could carry around Daisy Air Rifles without anyone commenting. But we had not been trained to be fearful of everything in the late 1950's.
I'm training my kids the same way. That's my point--there's no need to be fearful of everything. And hence, no need to own a gun in our area. Some risks are more real than others.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:54 AM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Our deductible is so high that we don't make claims for routine damages. But we've definitely had tree damage that others would have filed for.

And the house I own was completely gutted by fire in 1991. It happens. My family was kept from being ruined by a good homeowner's policy.

I'm training my kids the same way. That's my point--there's no need to be fearful of everything. And hence, no need to own a gun in our area. Some risks are more real than others.
Understand we are just trying to understand your way of thinking....I don't think anyone is saying your wrong with the way you think....It's just not "right to us."

Many years ago in Kentucky....we used to leave our houes doors unlocked also, nighttime, daytime...anytime....

Leave the keys in our cars at night...

when we would run in and get a pop/coke or what ever...leave the car running....

No way in heck would I do that now....

I hope your neighbor hood does not change for the worse....and you can continue like that.....

But as you keep a fire extinguisher....I keeep a gun....and fire extinguisher...

Old 01-18-2011, 09:56 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
So it is just on case?

Quote:
Sorry to hear that.
So once in your lifetime a fire happened,yet you still have an extinguisher on hand.Just in case I guess?

Quote:
But you seem to have a fear of firearms....

Old 01-18-2011, 10:20 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,195 times
Quote:
aren't the criminals to blame for this?
No, of course not, social injustice, racism and bad parenting are the cause of all crime therefore it is your duty to submit to any demand of indignity placed upon you by a would be robber/rapist/muderer. How dare any of us place our desire to live above the health, welfare and self esteem of a criminal!

Imagine what being shot in a robbery attempt would do to the self confidence of a criminal!

Old 01-18-2011, 10:44 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
No, of course not, social injustice, racism and bad parenting are the cause of all crime therefore it is your duty to submit to any demand of indignity placed upon you by a would be robber/rapist/muderer. How dare any of us place our desire to live above the health, welfare and self esteem of a criminal!

Imagine what being shot in a robbery attempt would do to the self confidence of a criminal!
Something to brag about in prison... unless you hit them right.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:04 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,287,224 times
Quote:
You know what? I would MUCH rather be the victim of a robbery than carry around the burden of having killed another human being for the rest of my life. To me, no amount of property is worth that horror.
Typical victim mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies