Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your political bent and living situation?
I am republican and have mortgage - no fear of foreclosure 25 30.12%
I am democrat and have mortgage - no fear of foreclosure 34 40.96%
I am republican and fear foreclosure 2 2.41%
I am democrat and fear foreclosure 0 0%
I am republican and prefer to rent 6 7.23%
I am democrat and prefer to rent 16 19.28%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 01:59 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,979 times

Advertisements

I can't answer the poll. I'm neither a democrat or republican. I rent right now but that's not my preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 02:00 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
I'm not sure where you're going with this but irresponsible lenders and realtors lean heavily to the Right.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:01 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Interesting. I know that's come into vogue lately, but for decades the thinking has been homeownership is the American dream. Why wouldn't you be caught dead owning a home?
I don't willingly take on debt, for one. Plus, it's less...hmm, liquid? If I buy a home, I'm pretty much STUCK right there. As it stands, I can move all around town.

I'm also not responsible for putting on a new roof, buying a new water heater, mowing the lawn, or--God willing--shoveling snow.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:04 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
I am just wondering how this breaks down on CD. We hear so much about Repubs do this or Dems do that or Dems overspend or Repubs are for personal responsibility. Where do you stand?

Oh, and for the sake of ease, if you're an independent you can just check off based on your leaning.

Oops! I forgot the I have no mortgage part, but I figure most people do.
I am neither and although I worry about losing my house it is not something I anticipate will happen (but you never know).

Old 01-13-2011, 02:05 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
I voted that I was a dem with no fear of foreclosure, but our house will be paid for by summer. No other debt on anything at all. I think lots more people own their homes outright than you realize.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:13 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And have absolutely no debt.

Your poll didn't include my status.

I'll probably buy another house when I move back to the States.
There also has to be an "I'm rich and don't care" option

Old 01-13-2011, 02:13 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I voted that I was a dem with no fear of foreclosure, but our house will be paid for by summer. No other debt on anything at all. I think lots more people own their homes outright than you realize.
No, I know a great many do. Heck, I do. I guess it's because 1 in 45 now are going into foreclosure. That's remarkable.

This is not exactly a scientific poll. It will only draw a certain type of person and those living on the streets are probably not the ones with access to it right now.

And I am a Dem too, but I tell you even though my house is paid off, I live in fear I am going to evetually end up under some bridge someday.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:14 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I can't answer the poll. I'm neither a democrat or republican. I rent right now but that's not my preference.
That's pretty much my answer. I'm an independent/libertarian of sorts (definitely closer to Dem than Rep), and I rent but not necessarily by preference. Just not quite stable enough to make that commitment, not to mention the average home price here is $850K - and I'm a single woman with a career that pays well, but not THAT well. I'd like to get a home one day, but for now I'm okay with renting.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:18 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
No, I know a great many do. Heck, I do. I guess it's because 1 in 45 now are going into foreclosure. That's remarkable.

This is not exactly a scientific poll. It will only draw a certain type of person and those living on the streets are probably not the ones with access to it right now.

And I am a Dem too, but I tell you even though my house is paid off, I live in fear I am going to evetually end up under some bridge someday.
I think it depends on what part of the country you live in--I'm in a midwestern state with a primarily agriculture based economy, and some of the lowest unemployment in the country. Our housing prices went down a little, but they're coming back up. In states where you have underwater mortgages, and high unemployment, I understand how it could be a real fear. I wasn't criticizing you at all--just commenting . We're in our early 50s--younger people probably do not own outright.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:18 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That's pretty much my answer. I'm an independent/libertarian of sorts (definitely closer to Dem than Rep), and I rent but not necessarily by preference. I've just been moving too often to commit, not to mention the average home price here is $850K - and I'm a single woman with a career that pays well, but not THAT well. I'd like to get a home one day, but for now I'm okay with renting.
I don't know how much you make, but I used to tell people (when I worked in mortgage) that not more than 30 or so percent of income should go to pay for living expenses. That means a salary of around $300K in SF and I know that is not exactly the going rate for most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies