Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 03:17 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times

Advertisements

It all depends. Hardliners regardless of party will spew party rhetoric and believe that they have the inside line on whats really going on.
Then you have the free thinkers who actually do a little home work they seem to have a good handle on reality.
Then you have the ones who simply don't care because they feel that their opinion doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 03:21 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I know what you mean. I've met some nice people, but if they yammer on about politics, i drop'em like a hot potato. Don't want to discuss that stuff with friends or family.

I live in a conservative state too...in a conservative city. So far, i've found plenty of apolitical or indifferent friends. Thank goodness.
I live in Phx. I must be a freak of nature. So far I really haven't found anyone where politics has not become an issue. So I guess I just live my life on the Net and keep racking my brains as to where to find like minded people. In all the years I've lived here, everyone is either a right winger or seemingly politically apathetic. I know they (people like me) are out there - somewhere. But in 5 or 6 million it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. Plus, it is so NOT popular to be a liberal in this town that I don't think people advertise it. I know I don't.

And I guess I am different from you, as I'd kill to discuss politics with someone who thinks like I do. Oh well, have another friend in another state and we discuss crazy Michelle Bachmann and I rant about what I rant about.

Oh, and the only way I got to vote (on the record and not provisionally in 2008) was to register as a republican. It worked.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I live in Phx. I must be a freak of nature. So far I really haven't found anyone where politics has not become an issue. So I guess I just live my life on the Net and keep racking my brains as to where to find like minded people. In all the years I've lived here, everyone is either a right winger or seemingly politically apathetic. I know they (people like me) are out there - somewhere. But in 5 or 6 million it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. Plus, it is so NOT popular to be a liberal in this town that I don't think people advertise it. I know I don't.

And I guess I am different from you, as I'd kill to discuss politics with someone who thinks like I do. Oh well, have another friend in another state and we discuss crazy Michelle Bachmann and I rant about what I rant about.

Oh, and the only way I got to vote (on the record and not provisionally in 2008) was to register as a republican. It worked.
Us Dems are a small band down here in Cochise County, but we're tight, and we chip in come election time (which is why Gabby Giffords keeps winning). I early vote myself, and i registered at the Dem HQ here in Sierra Vista.

I'm surprised that you can't find many like minded folks in Phoenix. I know a lot of libs up there (some are my family members). This state is right leaning, but it's not nutty right like Mississippi or Texas. It's actually more purple than ever in the last few years. My son lives in Flagstaff, and it's lib paradise up there. LMAO!

Old 01-13-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Us Dems are a small band down here in Cochise County, but we're tight, and we chip in come election time (which is why Gabby Giffords keeps winning). I early vote myself, and i registered at the Dem HQ here in Sierra Vista.

I'm surprised that you can't find many like minded folks in Phoenix. I know a lot of libs up there (some are my family members). This state is right leaning, but it's not nutty right like Mississippi or Texas. It's actually more purple than ever in the last few years. My son lives in Flagstaff, and it's lib paradise up there. LMAO!
I think it's because it's 5 or 6 million up here. I once joined Toastmasters and had to quit as I got tired of all the RW anti Obama stuff (and that organization is not supposed to be about that). There was ONE of me in there and that was it.

Yeah, I hear it is more liberal down your way and up north. It's just one giant RW "blech" here. This is the capital and where it all really is decided. It's ok. Got my house fixed up and am thinking of leaving the state before the next wave of foreclosures hits.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:50 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
I think it's because it's 5 or 6 million up here. I once joined Toastmasters and had to quit as I got tired of all the RW anti Obama stuff (and that organization is not supposed to be about that). There was ONE of me in there and that was it.
^That is EXACTLY why i'm leaving the American Legion after this year.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:56 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,611 times
Uninformed and uncaring. It seems that's the norm for most people and those of us on this forum are the rare exception. I guess that's why we have the government we do.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:00 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,611 times
Quote:
And I guess I am different from you, as I'd kill to discuss politics with someone who thinks like I do.
Why would you want to discuss politics with someone who already thinks like you do? That's just an echo chamber. It is more interesting to debate someone who thinks differently and be required to provide facts to support your beliefs.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Why would you want to discuss politics with someone who already thinks like you do? That's just an echo chamber. It is more interesting to debate someone who thinks differently and be required to provide facts to support your beliefs.
Not to come across as "smug," for lack of a better word, but I used to be a conservative and campaigned for Reagan. That was 20 some years ago and I've grown into an appreciation that, while we are all created equal, some of us need help. I don't need to expand my views. I prefer to spend my time with compassionate and intelligent people who already understand this concept. Sort of like that "compassionate" stuff Bush advocated but never practiced.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:10 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Not to come across as "smug," for lack of a better word, but I used to be a conservative and campaigned for Reagan. That was 20 some years ago and I've grown into an appreciation that, while we are all created equal, some of us need help. I don't need to expand my views. I prefer to spend my time with compassionate and intelligent people who already understand this concept.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Go ahead and roll your eyes but it's true. It is also somewhat ironic, in that Reagan reminded me of my dad and Alzheimer's took both of them out. My dad was the real deal conservative and I respect that - and it resembles NOTHING of what you see today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies