Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:03 PM

132 posts, read 249,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
If so, this brings it to six states - MA, CT, IA, VT, NH and MD.

I wonder what state will be number seven? Perhaps California in 2012 -- but that's just a guess...
Rhode Island is definetly number seven. The governor has indicated he is not at all impressed by all these anti-gay commercials that have cropped up from the "save the marriage" group who've come in from out of state.

This "Save Traditional Marriage Group" might as well just go back and sulk with the Fred Phelps family who are also not too happy about not being able to petition a nine year old girls funeral as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 12:08 PM

59,028 posts, read 27,290,738 times
When you get a state that is run totally by the dems/libs it is not un-expected.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:42 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,987,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I'd be ok with the moonbattery in Maryland doing what they want with it and inventing a new form of marriage if my state didn't have to recognize it when they come here.
It's coming to your state eventually. Sometime in the next decade, I'd imagine.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:41 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,900 times
By 2020, most states will have recognized gay marriage or civil unions and as a result, Congress will be forced to repeal DOMA, otherwise there will be economic issues, adoption issues, financial trust issues, etc.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:35 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Sounds good. I'm in favor of individual states deciding these things for themselves. I'm against the federal Defense Of Marriage Act for the same reason.
what happens when I get married in maryland, but then move to arizona? does my move make me lose my marriage?
states shouldn't be deciding this issue..

Old 01-14-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
By 2020, most states will have recognized gay marriage or civil unions and as a result, Congress will be forced to repeal DOMA, otherwise there will be economic issues, adoption issues, financial trust issues, etc.
exactly... we are united states, not divided states. Certain things can not be different from one state to another...without alienating states economically, socially, and politically.
Social conservatives have lost sight of power in washington. They know it's never going to happen for them. So their next best bet is to pull for as much states rights as they can in hopes of keeping gay marriage out of states where they have influence. It's ridiculous..and smells of similar sentiments during the civil war. "don't tell us what to do here in good ole boy christian land"

Old 01-15-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I'd be ok with the moonbattery in Maryland doing what they want with it and inventing a new form of marriage if my state didn't have to recognize it when they come here.
that's like saying you don't care if black people are free maryland so long as their freedom isn't recognized in your state when they come there...
being a state in the union comes with obligations... you don't get to pick and choose what you like.. the federal constitution takes precedent over anything a clique of people in one or two states want to impose... sorry you will be on the wrong side of history on this issue as well

Old 01-15-2011, 03:10 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
what happens when I get married in maryland, but then move to arizona? does my move make me lose my marriage?
states shouldn't be deciding this issue..
No, if the Defense Of Marriage Act is repealed, all states should have to recognize marriages performed in other states; but not all states will have to perform same-sex marriages themselves.

Time will tell.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:27 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times
The bigots, some of whom are on this forum, need to realize that their days are numbered. Of course, some states will never pass it if it is left up to them, and its residents to vote for civil rights of others. Like it or not, this IS in fact comparable to inter-racial marriage. Although it is legal in 50 states, there are many areas in this country where I know an interracial couple will not want to marry/live. Therefore, if your state or area is so hate filled with hyprocricy and hate, and you contribute to it, you have nothing to fear. I guarantee gay people won't be flocking there should it be made legal. Most states that have marriage equality are "live and let live" states anyway.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:07 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
that's like saying you don't care if black people are free maryland so long as their freedom isn't recognized in your state when they come there...
being a state in the union comes with obligations... you don't get to pick and choose what you like.. the federal constitution takes precedent over anything a clique of people in one or two states want to impose... sorry you will be on the wrong side of history on this issue as well
No.

No, it's not. Please stop equating skin color with sexual behavior. It's not the same. No matter how many times you say it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
The bigots, some of whom are on this forum, need to realize that their days are numbered. Of course, some states will never pass it if it is left up to them, and its residents to vote for civil rights of others. Like it or not, this IS in fact comparable to inter-racial marriage. Although it is legal in 50 states, there are many areas in this country where I know an interracial couple will not want to marry/live. Therefore, if your state or area is so hate filled with hyprocricy and hate, and you contribute to it, you have nothing to fear. I guarantee gay people won't be flocking there should it be made legal. Most states that have marriage equality are "live and let live" states anyway.
Please stop trying to force your bigoted values on me. Racial issues aside (this has nothing to do with race), I don't appreciate you trying to force your pro-homosexual values on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies