Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 05:47 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,870,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I'm baffled as to how anyone can twist the foundation of modern biology into a liberal or conservative issue. As for it being a "Christian" issue, many devout Christians believe that evolution is entirely compatible with their faith.
Really? You can't have it both ways.

If you believe that God created the world and it's creatures with an ability to evolve further then maybe,otherwise maybe you would like to explain this position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
This liberal supports a system that helps those who need some help.

Although it would make some people in this country very happy if those 'weak' members would just die, it could get very messy because so very many are hurting & cannot afford things like health care or food.

This thread is another of many liberal vs. conservative bait threads IMO.
I support helping fellow Americans , but there is a difference between helping someone and enabling,carrying and supporting the stupid and lazy.

How long should the help last? A lifetime,maybe 3 or 4 generations ?
At what point is it no longer help?

Here's an analogy. If my neighbor fell on hard times and I took in his family ,fed and sheltered them for 6 or 7 months till he got back on his feet ,that would be help.

If I took care of him and his family for 10 years while they did nothing but pump out more kids and watched TV that would be enabling his laziness and I would have been had.

If I did the latter his kids would probably learn to be the same way as they would see laziness and stupidity as the norm.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:59 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Really? You can't have it both ways.

If you believe that God created the world and it's creatures with an ability to evolve further then maybe,otherwise maybe you would like to explain this position.
You just explained it! And it was the minister of the church I attended as a child who first put it that way to me. (We're talking nearly half a century ago!)

Old 01-14-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Do you assume that conservatives can't grasp the concept of evolution?

Social services used to be a safety net, not a lifestyle choice.
Well I agree with you there, generally it is no longer a safety net. I can understand how people in the 3rd world need help because of ignorance and lack of oppotunities.

Years back when I lived in LA I would see homeless Americans, drunk and begging yet see Illegal Aliens and , legal immigrants working several minimum wage jobs. Some of these people were middle aged and over at least trying to earn their way.

Yet when you have able bodied people in their 20's educated in this country trying to live on handouts that's their own fault. Poor lifestyle choices and no self respect. I would rather sign up for the military or take any minimum wage job to better myself.

Granted if they have a physical,mental disability or have fell on hard times that's different. And I don't believe drug addicts have a "disease".

If drug addiction is a disease it's the only one that can be cured by resricting access to it. Cancer patients don't have that option.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:22 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
To say nothing of math. I would like to find, and beat senseless, the first person who decided that chaos theory should be allowed to spill over into everyday parlance. It is invariably used by woolly-headed people who thinks that by uttering the words "chaos theory", they can somehow defend not even trying to apply logic or critical thinking.

People pay serious money to young PhD physicists and statisitians to apply things like chaos theory to managing financial assets. There is money to be made in showing that market flucuations follow a power law.
On the other side of the fence there are physicists trying to provide a physical theoretical underpinning for biology, economics, history, etc. Subjects considered "soft" sciences lacking powerful laws, known for non-repetablity or nonreversibility and known to be history dependent. These are interesting problems that span things like why does a flower like a daisy look the way it does, or why does life on Earth almost completely die off every few 100 millions of year to how can I beat the Lipper Average or beat the house at Caesar's Palace in Vegas.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:44 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
What is the Sun? Some say it is a huge ball of gas, burning in the sky above. These men are scientists. I choose not to believe this. I believe it is the Eye of God.

Scientists say it, so it must not be true. Scientists say we evolved from a common ancestor. Obviously, this is hogwash. The earth is 6000 years old.

Natural nuclear fission reactor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These reactions did not happen 2 billion years ago. It's just a lie.

Not real. Keep walking by. It's just a figment of your imagination.
We got a winner here folks. The sun is the eye of god. That's why one-eyed sunglasses are such a smashing success and are sold through out the world.
Maybe he has a cataract in the other eye.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:13 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
1. I am a liberal who believes that God created the heavens and the earth and all that is therein.

2. If people would actually sit down and read the words of Jesus Christ and actually do what He has told us to do they would know that He said the ones who will be welcomed into the kingdom of heaven are those who fed the hungry; took care of the sick, provided clothes to those in need, and gave water to drink to those in need. The people he most condemed were those who proclaimed their righteousness while selfishly refusing help to those in need.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:56 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times
Quote:
Originally posted by antarez
Liberals have strongly opposed Christian Ceationist teachings and supported evolution.

If Liberals so strongly believe in Evolution,survival of the Fittest.

Then why do Liberals support Survival of the Weakest through Social Services,food stamps,Section 8 and other entitlement programs???

If social services were scaled back wouldn't only the strong survive in society? Isn't this what evolution's end results are supposed to be?

Also wouldn't evolution eventually take care of or minimize the problems of the weakest and unfit (Darwinism) and those who made poor choices and continuosly do so(Social Dawinism) by drug/alcohol addiction,single mothers with multiple kids,absentee fathers,etc..?
Well, this poses a problem...see I am a (moderate) liberal who believes in God. The way I see it is that people, created by God, have an inherent dignity and must be looked out for if they are in need. Hence the need for social services and health care for those that need it.

Social darwinism is un christian. I'd like to know why so many creationists, who believe that man was created by God in his image, see fit to leave the poor to twist in the wind--or at least support those who would?

Old 01-15-2011, 08:19 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
At which point they might not be good ideas any more!

This is why lawyers usually make better politicians than scientists. Scientists are too empirical, lawyers understand how malleable the truth really is.

If the truth is so malleable is it really the truth at all. Now a powerful principle in physics is that all observers must to agree on the facts of an event. Now lets say I take a gun and shoot you and you snuff it, from your vantage point you've been murdered. Now from the vantage point of my lawyer, I'm a stark raving looney and need to see those nice people in the white coats so I can get sane again, no murder has been commited just the accidental killing of another person but you are just as dead.
It's too bad criminal law is not like physics.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:11 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
How do liberals "support" evolution? It's not like it's a political theory or legislative proposal. It's a very well documented and proven process for which there is absolutely no debate within the scientific community. Really, only some extreme religious groups still doubt because they hold to their various texts more than research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies