Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 04:59 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,363,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Supporting the "little guy" supports and impacts YOUR community directly.
There are in fact smaller local owned car lots, there are in fact small community banks, there is small utility companies in many areas and the places you purchase your gasoline from there are many of the mom and pop type operations. That is why retail IS different.
But who cares about those places any more than they care about the mom&pop places that used to rent movies at $5 a pop? Lots of people cashed in on a temporary opportunity but they're just no longer relevant, nor should they be. Just because your neighbor owns a dinosaur retail business doesn't mean you're obligated to pad his lifestyle.

My most recent purchase was was a Funai DVR device from walmart.com. Not only does NO other retailer offer it, the sad fact is that no local retailer would have EVER offered it at a 5% or so profit margin, and NOBODY would have paid a higher price for it so it wouldn't have been available at all! How would that benefit anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 05:16 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
But who cares about those places any more than they care about the mom&pop places that used to rent movies at $5 a pop? Lots of people cashed in on a temporary opportunity but they're just no longer relevant, nor should they be. Just because your neighbor owns a dinosaur retail business doesn't mean you're obligated to pad his lifestyle.

My most recent purchase was was a Funai DVR device from walmart.com. Not only does NO other retailer offer it, the sad fact is that no local retailer would have EVER offered it at a 5% or so profit margin, and NOBODY would have paid a higher price for it so it wouldn't have been available at all! How would that benefit anyone?
What an absolutely ridiculous response????
And people wonder why this country is in trouble.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:23 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,363,015 times
Quote:
What an absolutely ridiculous response????
And people wonder why this country is in trouble.
The country is in trouble because not enough people pay some yahoo more than necessary for their purchases? And I'm the one who is ridiculous???

Old 01-14-2011, 05:57 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I am fortunate because in our town, we have a populace committed to buying local. I'm not sure why some towns seem to do this and others do not but I must say, I absolutely love it. I can find just about everything I need from local businesses and manufacturers. I do know our town and Chamber of Commerce does quite a bit of PR on buying local. As a result, we even made the list as one of the top towns in America to open a small business.

Recently, we had a Walmart open just on the outside of the town line. It worried a lot of our local merchants. Turns out that they had nothing to worry about because Walmart is actually having a challenge because local businesses are doing better. That being said, IF I ever had to shop at Walmart, I would also be committed to buying American made goods. At least it's good to know there are American made products available there.

However, I still advocate - buy local!
Are you saying there is a group of people left in the US who actually get it? Kudos!

Old 01-14-2011, 05:59 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Just bought 2 new toilet seats from Home Depot less than a month ago.

They were made in America. I was gleefully surprised and happy until, now both seats have the paint chipping off. So much for american made is better.
What is the brand that you bought. I am curious. My furniture is holding up great, and is beautiful. Funny thing about toilet seats, they take a lot of abuse, i have a toilet seat that folds down but itself, and also the lid. I take such good care of everything that we own, just from cleaning my toilet's they have little surface scratches, it was not a cheap seat either.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:10 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
Heck I outfitted my entire kitchen and livingroom cheaper than you could at walmart all made in the USA and lasted more than 3 lifetimes already and will outlast me. The local antique store.I find grizwald fry pans for 40 bucks in perfect shape, beats a toxic chineese junk pan that lasts 5 years

Old 01-14-2011, 08:51 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Are you saying there is a group of people left in the US who actually get it? Kudos!
Yes, because our ENTIRE community has made a very conscious effort to buy local. The local businesses use local suppliers. When Walmart came in, it scared the local merchants but once again our community solidified their committment to buying local. We get a lot of tourists - they do tend to go to the big box stores (although we only have a couple). The result is that we have actually seen a growth in our local economy, our housing is rising, and our schools are consistently rated best in the country. Works for us!

Old 01-14-2011, 09:03 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:

When you buy from the little guy you are supporting your community and why someone wouldn't want to do that is beyond me, other than the whole "ME" mentality.
Supporting competition and capitalism is more important to me. I donate regularly to a local charity, and I think that helps the community more than overpaying for things I can buy cheaply at Walmart.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:08 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
It's not the stores I have a problem with. Its the people inside shopping. And it doesn't matter what city/state your in.
Yes, but being surrounded by those people gives me a greater appreciation for what I have. And it's not like anyone's forcing you to live with them. It's just a department store that you're visiting for a brief time. Think of it like a trip to the zoo, if that helps.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:10 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Think of it like a trip to the zoo, if that helps.
But there are no bars or glass between us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies