Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 06:02 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,847 times

Advertisements

The Environmental Protection Agency, in an unusual move, revoked a key permit for one of the largest proposed mountaintop-removal coal-mining projects in Appalachia, drawing cheers from environmentalists and protests from business groups worried their projects could be next.

The decision to revoke the permit for Arch Coal Inc.'s Spruce Mine No. 1 in West Virginia's rural Logan County marks the first time the EPA has withdrawn a water permit for a mining project that had previously been issued.

EPA Blasted as It Revokes Mine's Permit - WSJ.com

I don't hate Obama, but economically it's a jerk...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 06:11 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
Quote:
t's also only the second time in the 39-year history of the federal Clean Water Act that the agency has canceled a water permit for a project of any kind after it was issued...

The EPA said Thursday it revoked the permit, issued by the Army Corps of Engineers in 2007, because it concluded new scientific research on mountaintop-removal mining since then indicated the potential harm to streams and watershed areas surrounding the Spruce project could be significant.

"...the EPA stressed that the permit decision had no implications beyond the Spruce mine..."
Seems this was a specific rejection/cancellation of a permit for a specific area. Not a general edict for an industry. That said, it always does good to flex a little regulatory muscle, especially to an industry that flaunts it's "record" of safety & stewardship.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:59 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
If you're really concerned about jobs in the abstract, you would advocate a return to traditional, labor-intensive mining. "Mountain top-removal" decreases the number of workers necessary to mine coal, all at stupendous environmental cost. The "jobs" issue is a canard perpetuated by the mining industry to general local support.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:49 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
If you're really concerned about jobs in the abstract, you would advocate a return to traditional, labor-intensive mining. "Mountain top-removal" decreases the number of workers necessary to mine coal, all at stupendous environmental cost. The "jobs" issue is a canard perpetuated by the mining industry to general local support.
Yeah, choosing mountain-top removal as an activity that must be protected is a bit of a hard sell. If ever there was an activity where environmental concerns should be considered...

Of course, Rand Paul has said that mount-top removal "enhances" the landscape, so perhaps it's just those among us who like mountains with the tops still on them that are seeing things wrong?

Old 01-14-2011, 04:52 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
The Environmental Protection Agency, in an unusual move, revoked a key permit for one of the largest proposed mountaintop-removal coal-mining projects in Appalachia, drawing cheers from environmentalists and protests from business groups worried their projects could be next.

The decision to revoke the permit for Arch Coal Inc.'s Spruce Mine No. 1 in West Virginia's rural Logan County marks the first time the EPA has withdrawn a water permit for a mining project that had previously been issued.

EPA Blasted as It Revokes Mine's Permit - WSJ.com

I don't hate Obama, but economically it's a jerk...

"The plaintiff who began the fight to stop the mine, 70-year-old Jimmy Weekley, told CNN on Thursday that he was elated at the decision.
Weekley sued the government in 1998 for issuing the permit, saying Pigeonroost Hollow, where he lives, would be obliterated by the mine.
"They did the right thing, the EPA did. Thank God for that," Weekley told CNN, whose news crew was interviewing him when he received word of the ruling."

EPA revokes permit for hilltop mining project in West Virginia - CNN.com

Anyway, good for the EPA for finally heeding the scientific community.

"The litany of problems—both to the environment and human health—caused by a practice that involves blasting the top off a mountain to get at the coal beneath it more easily include: heavy metals, sulfuric acid and other mine contaminants in waterways and drinking-water wells; deformed fish carrying toxic levels of selenium found in 73 of 78 streams affected by mountaintop mining; entire streams filled in by blasted mountain rock; and forests cleared to get at the mountaintop beneath them. "

Observations: Mountaintop removal mining: EPA says yes, scientists say no
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies