Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:46 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Due Process shouldn't take 15 - 20 years now shouldn't it?

As to research here's the list have at it, here's the names Database: Death Row inmates - LA Daily News
Here I found the first one for you DNA hit links death row inmate to Riverside County cold case | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times Here's your 2nd Have at it !!!California to execute rapist, murderer of teen girl; 1st execution in 5 years - National Crime | Examiner.com

Due process takes as long as it takes. Have you ever worked a death penalty appeal case, or do you know anyone who has?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 11:26 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Yea, the DP is too damn expensive. I don't know where this "one appeal" nonsense comes from. You might find yourself wrongfully accused, and surely you'd wish like hell that you had more than one appeal.

And seeing as how it takes too long to get anyone executed in that state as it is, they may as well drop it.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:13 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea, the DP is too damn expensive. I don't know where this "one appeal" nonsense comes from. You might find yourself wrongfully accused, and surely you'd wish like hell that you had more than one appeal.

And seeing as how it takes too long to get anyone executed in that state as it is, they may as well drop it.
THIS so much much much. I can't give you more reputation but you just about nailed it there.

Let's see these "one appeal" folks get wrongfully accused and see if they're happy with their one appeal

Old 01-15-2011, 12:13 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Is there no way to make the process less expensive and streamline it? I ask because I am really not well versed in the costs of death penalty cases.

I did some basic research

Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) - Capital Punishment, 2009 - Statistical Tables

California had an average time on death row of 14.2 years. There is some improvement in other states, like 10.8 years in Texas and 10.7 years in Alabama.

I would imagine there are some cost savers in there, such as automatic appeals, providing legal representation so finding a lawyer does not slow down the process, and other ways??

I am pro-death penalty based on beliefs but I am also quite concerned about rising costs in our government. I wonder if the death penalty costs are worth being incurred given the gravity of the crimes that are committed.

I found a LOT of information from anti-death penalty sites on the costs are too expensive but I found next to none on how to reduce those costs except to abolish. I am wondering what is involved in the process and how it could possibly be streamlined?

Old 01-15-2011, 12:38 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Is there no way to make the process less expensive and streamline it? I ask because I am really not well versed in the costs of death penalty cases.

I did some basic research

Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) - Capital Punishment, 2009 - Statistical Tables

California had an average time on death row of 14.2 years. There is some improvement in other states, like 10.8 years in Texas and 10.7 years in Alabama.

I would imagine there are some cost savers in there, such as automatic appeals, providing legal representation so finding a lawyer does not slow down the process, and other ways??

I am pro-death penalty based on beliefs but I am also quite concerned about rising costs in our government. I wonder if the death penalty costs are worth being incurred given the gravity of the crimes that are committed.

I found a LOT of information from anti-death penalty sites on the costs are too expensive but I found next to none on how to reduce those costs except to abolish. I am wondering what is involved in the process and how it could possibly be streamlined?
Very, very bright and well educated people have been trying for years to "streamline" the process, and, well, it doesn't seem possible to do so and also make sure that innocent people are not executed. There are layers of appeals, which are available to everyone convicted of a felony, not just people sentenced to death. As one US Supreme Court Justice said, "Death is different."

Here is a good site to learn a lot about the death penalty and the costs. One thing to keep in mind is that at least 15 states do NOT have the death penalty, and they get along just fine.

Death Penalty Information Center

Old 01-15-2011, 12:50 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Very, very bright and well educated people have been trying for years to "streamline" the process, and, well, it doesn't seem possible to do so and also make sure that innocent people are not executed. There are layers of appeals, which are available to everyone convicted of a felony, not just people sentenced to death. As one US Supreme Court Justice said, "Death is different."

Here is a good site to learn a lot about the death penalty and the costs. One thing to keep in mind is that at least 15 states do NOT have the death penalty, and they get along just fine.

Death Penalty Information Center
Quick question. If these layers of appeals are also available to anyone convicted of a felony, wouldn't that make the costs, in terms of appeals, the same for all convicted felons? Why would death row cases costs so much more?

Old 01-15-2011, 01:07 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
California doen't need an electric chair it needs an electric bench.

If you want to address waste, keeping Rapists and killers alive for life sentences with free healthcare isn't exactly financially prudent.

I so agree with you, my stupid a-- State, needs to wake their butts up. These guys yeah, have it so bad, they are on death row, for years and years, kept alive, eat, breath, sleep, while their innocent victims, are probably turning over in their graves. I agree, i may seem mean and cold, but an eye for an eye, and do we really need the finacnial burder of these cold hardened criminals. California needs those in power in this state to actually start thinking with their brains.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:03 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Why don't you start by telling us in specific detail how to "sreamline and revamp" appeals process? Tell us which particular appeals should be dropped and how that would affect the entire justice system.

Surely you've heard of the many people released from death row in Illinois because it turned out that those people were, in fact, not guilty. Good thing someone didn't decide to "streamline" the appeals process there or they would have, in fact, executed a large number of innocent people. Of course, I would guess that you've also heard that Illinois is considering dropping the death penalty in that state because of budget constraints.

As a people, we waste enormous amounts of money on the death penalty all over the country. Much cheaper to put people in prison for life without parole ever.
Always the hippy approach. However, I'll tell you how to streamline the process, make it fair, etc. The issue most people who are against the death penalty bring up, especially in this day and age, is the money. Its more expensive to kill someone, then lock them up the rest of their lives.

While this is true, it is also false. It is true, if you allow them to appeal their convictions. If you do not, its very cheap.

Remember, Calfornia is a VERY LIBERAL state and wants to afford criminals more rights then the victims.

Let us look at Richard Alan Davis. The poster child for the death penalty.
Richard Allen Davis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is NO doubt of his guilt; absolutely none. So, why is he still alive? Because you bleeding heart liberals are cowardly to kill him. You make up excuses, and hide behind the "law."

The laws need to be changed. Slamdunks, etc should be streamlined to a court hearing in front of a judge. Let the judge aside and if they are to die, die within 30 days.

Now, if its questionable, etc and believe me, most are not, give them their appeals, et al. I have no problem with that.

But you won't do it. You can't handle the blood on your hands.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:22 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
The nation's WORST prison system caused by stupid laws that floods prisons leading to third world conditions has already been ordered by Federal courts to reduce its prison population to combat overcrowding. California spends more on prisons than on education.

But let's just pretend none of that is a problem. Even if California left its horrible prison system as is, it could save 200 million per year by eliminating its death penalty statute.

James Clark: California Ignores Obvious Budget Solution: Cut the Death Penalty
It could also save a lot of money on prisons just by letting all the rapists, murderers go and closing the prisons completely.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:28 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Well I'm with you on all but # 3 ... they are hardly over paid, and the pension is what they worked for.

Now add the legalization of drugs and you can empty out 1/2 the prison population...
The Tucson killer could have been sent to prison for his heavy drug use and had been arrested for drugs before. A tragedy could have been prevented if that pot head had been sent to prison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies