Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 02:39 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times

Advertisements

"This month, I will introduce legislation to ban gun magazines that feed more than 10 rounds at a time. One of my colleagues, Rep. Carolyn McCarthy of New York, is planning to introduce a similar bill in the House of Representatives."

Yeah, good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 03:49 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Screw the Second Amendment. It was written long before the US became such a violent, dog-eat-dog society. There have been too many school / college shootings in the US. Kennedy was assassinated, as was Martin Luther King. The shooing of Gabrielle Giffords should be the last straw. We need a "grown up" discussion about firearms.

I believe that people should be able to keep guns in their homes and should be allowed to transport said guns to a range for sport. I also think there should be tougher restrictions on who can legally own a firearm. I also think that no one should be allowed to carry a gun in a public place, e.g. to a political rally! No one should have a loaded weapon in their car either. Anyone caught with a gun in public should 1) be arrested and 2) sent to prison. No need for it.

In the US, there's far too much "romanticizing" of guns. Guns have become an extension of the American man's penis. It's all about macho BS. There are also too many crazy / angry people here to be trusted. Like I said, I'm all for guns in the home, but they should be left AT HOME!

A ban isn't the answer, but restrictions and regulation are sorely necessary. Sadly, I don't think Obama has the balls to really address this issue. It will probably take more needless deaths for the public to take notice. Until then, we will continue to experience obstacles placed in front of us by people who literally think that their guns are a part of their manhood.

Real men don't use guns; we fight. Unless you're faced with another gun toting *******, guns are for *******. An 8 year old girl can shoot a grown man and kill him.
you need to look at the real statistics before you make a post like this. for instance you say there should be severe restrictions on gun ownership, but we have tried that in this country, and what happened? well lets just say that if gun control really worked then los angeles, chicago, washington dc, and many other places with severe gun control laws would be paradise on earth, and they are NOT. in fact those places have some of the HIGHEST gun crime rates around.

when florida was first debating letting residents carry concealed weapons, the antigun people argued that there would be a huge increase in shootings in the streets, and florida would look like the old west of the movies. the reality is that gun crimes went DOWN, and criminals stopped going after residents and went after tourists. why? in the words of one criminal when asked why he started robbing tourists, the criminal replied "i dont want to get shot".

if someone had a firearm at virginia tech, there would not have been what 31 deaths? more like 5 or 6, and the shooter would have been one of them. same with colombine. those idiots kids would have been laid out on the ground and many lives saved. and again here in tucson, if someone had a firearm with them early in the shooting spree, perhaps fewer people would have been injured or killed, and likely the shooter would have been one of the casualties.

and lets look at europe and australia. handguns there are essentially banned, and yet gun crimes are on the increase there. why? because the criminals dont have to worry about being shot by law abiding citizens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Very true, and today, these strong arm cowards, leave you for dead. They mean business. Todays Robbers, for gosh sakes, not only take your money, jewels, and everything of value, still end up killing the family or whoever is in the home at the time, and they don't care about age.

Take guns away from law abiding responsible citizens, the bad guys, criminals, will still get their hands on them.
very well said.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:55 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Screw the Second Amendment. It was written long before the US became such a violent, dog-eat-dog society. There have been too many school / college shootings in the US. Kennedy was assassinated, as was Martin Luther King. The shooing of Gabrielle Giffords should be the last straw. We need a "grown up" discussion about firearms.

I believe that people should be able to keep guns in their homes and should be allowed to transport said guns to a range for sport. I also think there should be tougher restrictions on who can legally own a firearm. I also think that no one should be allowed to carry a gun in a public place, e.g. to a political rally! No one should have a loaded weapon in their car either. Anyone caught with a gun in public should 1) be arrested and 2) sent to prison. No need for it.

In the US, there's far too much "romanticizing" of guns. Guns have become an extension of the American man's penis. It's all about macho BS. There are also too many crazy / angry people here to be trusted. Like I said, I'm all for guns in the home, but they should be left AT HOME!

A ban isn't the answer, but restrictions and regulation are sorely necessary. Sadly, I don't think Obama has the balls to really address this issue. It will probably take more needless deaths for the public to take notice. Until then, we will continue to experience obstacles placed in front of us by people who literally think that their guns are a part of their manhood.

Real men don't use guns; we fight. Unless you're faced with another gun toting *******, guns are for *******. An 8 year old girl can shoot a grown man and kill him.
YOU need to leave MY guns alone......We are none of your business!

And to the bolded part, what are the Women gun owners trying to extend?

Old 01-15-2011, 03:57 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:

You almost got it, a friggin nut case wacko, no doubt raised by liberal nut case wacks, who let the wacko skin kittens and lizards ALIVE likely as not got his 15 minutes of fame, and because no one else there was armed, or had a clear shot.

I wasn't there missing the place by maybe 2,500 miles, but i was armed. Now I can't say if I was there that I would have had a clear shot. I sort of doubt it.

Grown men have bad backs, and other health issues sometimes. I got that bad back and even a broken finger right now, so I am not going to hit someone in a fight right now, maybe after the finger is healed eh?

These were not everyday day issues so far back as 1980. I don't know what, but something is very wrong with society and these newer generations. I was born in 51, so I know what I am talking about.

No longer is there any courtisey period.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:05 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
ROFLMAO I am not much of a movie-watcher, but I always LOVED that scene. Don't know if it is true or not, but the story goes that this was not part of the original script. Rather, it was a prank on the part of Harrison Ford. It cracked up the whole cast and the producers/directors thought it so hilarious, they wrote it into the movie, with some improvements. Love it!

Old 01-15-2011, 04:14 PM

Thanks fer the laff Reb.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:37 PM

932 posts, read 1,176,968 times
I'd actually like to take most of what I said back in my original post. I am not anti-Second Amendment and I do actually believe in the right to bear arms. My post last night was as a result of a knee jerk reaction from having to endure the company of a particularly obnoxious person (long story).

I agree with MiamiRob's short reply, in the case of Switzerland. They have 100% gun ownership and virtually no gun crime. In Switzerland, gun ownership is basically a requirement. The Swiss are trained to use firearms responsibly and in effect, all Swiss citizens are part of an unofficial army. They are also big on recreational shooting, which is a very important social aspect of their country.

I think that the US could learn a LOT from the example of Switzerland. We need to teach people how to use guns responsibly and perhaps as a society, we need to become a little less "macho" when it comes to guns. I do feel that we need to do a lot more to ensure that "crazies" don't get their hands on firearms. The screening process for gun licensing needs to be improved as it's often harder to pass a background check for an apartment than it is to obtain a firearm. I also think that guns should not be sold in places like Walmart, but rather only at designated gun shops and certainly not at gun shows.

As much as I am a peaceful guy, having a society where citizens have the right to bear arms is less likely to be steamrollered by a corrupt / power hungry government who wishes to exert control over its people. Although that scenario is unlikely to happen, never say never. An unarmed population against an armed government is like a one legged, one armed blind man in an ass kicking contest. So an armed civilian population kind of provides a level of "checks and balances", in terms of keeping any crazy government or leader in check.

As far as violence in the US is concerned, it's a problem with society, rather than the availability of guns. If you banned guns tomorrow, it'd make no difference. The criminals would still find a way to get hold of them, while law abiding citizens would be left defenseless in a very violent society. The mental health system is a joke here too, allowing such crazies to carry on as is for so long, without being forced to get help or even institutionalized (in the case of the most dangerous, such as the VA Tech shooter).

Anyway, I apologize for my earlier post. It was way out of line.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:41 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
I'd actually like to take most of what I said back in my original post. I am not anti-Second Amendment and I do actually believe in the right to bear arms. My post last night was as a result of a knee jerk reaction from having to endure the company of a particularly obnoxious person (long story).

I agree with MiamiRob's short reply, in the case of Switzerland. They have 100% gun ownership and virtually no gun crime. In Switzerland, gun ownership is basically a requirement. The Swiss are trained to use firearms responsibly and in effect, all Swiss citizens are part of an unofficial army. They are also big on recreational shooting, which is a very important social aspect of their country.

I think that the US could learn a LOT from the example of Switzerland. We need to teach people how to use guns responsibly and perhaps as a society, we need to become a little less "macho" when it comes to guns. I do feel that we need to do a lot more to ensure that "crazies" don't get their hands on firearms. The screening process for gun licensing needs to be improved as it's often harder to pass a background check for an apartment than it is to obtain a firearm. I also think that guns should not be sold in places like Walmart, but rather only at designated gun shops and certainly not at gun shows.

As much as I am a peaceful guy, having a society where citizens have the right to bear arms is less likely to be steamrollered by a corrupt / power hungry government who wishes to exert control over its people. Although that scenario is unlikely to happen, never say never. An unarmed population against an armed government is like a one legged, one armed blind man in an ass kicking contest. So an armed civilian population kind of provides a level of "checks and balances", in terms of keeping any crazy government or leader in check.

As far as violence in the US is concerned, it's a problem with society, rather than the availability of guns. If you banned guns tomorrow, it'd make no difference. The criminals would still find a way to get hold of them, while law abiding citizens would be left defenseless in a very violent society. The mental health system is a joke here too, allowing such crazies to carry on as is for so long, without being forced to get help or even institutionalized (in the case of the most dangerous, such as the VA Tech shooter).

Anyway, I apologize for my earlier post. It was way out of line.
i repped you for your mea culpa. and i agree that we need to learn to handle firearms properly.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:44 PM

I can buy that Glasvegas. Years ago the Columbine event made me feel pretty guilty. I did consider getting rid of my guns, but wondered how to get money for them and not just pass on the problem.

Suddenly I realized I am not the problem this weak excuse for a society is the problem. Me Me Me, and that non-stop liberal whine.

The simple part is that these days when someone does a bad thing it is never their own fault, and no one appears to much of any sence of responcibitly.

Fix the responcibitly and everything else will be fixed.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:45 PM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
You do know that Wal-Mart that sell firearms are "gun shops" according to the legal definition and have to have all relative licenses to conduct that portion of the business.

Most, if not all, sellers at gun shows are also licensed dealers who, at least at the ones I've attended, fulfill all the required NICS requirements before transferring a firearm to anyone.

In reality there is no "gun show" loophole. It's more like a "living room" loophole. If you were here in MD I could sell you any of my long guns with no further checking required, if I had no reason to believe you otherwise were not prohibited from owning one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies