Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 09:17 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,021,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Of course they will! Our new Governor is putting a task force in place to ensure Boeing does not allow the unions to take over the new facility in our area.

Unions destroy business.
Good to know! How great is Gov Haley...I'm so excited she's our new governor!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 09:27 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Good to know! How great is Gov Haley...I'm so excited she's our new governor!!
You're very lucky to live in a non-unionized state. Don't worry, the smart citizens of your beautiful state will not allow the Feds to bully them.
S. Carolinians know the detrimental effects that unions have on practically every industry they infiltrate. Wish I could say the same about my state.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:31 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
You have that because unions make sure that your employer cannot do whatever they want with you. It doesn't matter if you are in a union or not. Without unions your working life would be horribly. Just look at earlier times when there were no unions and workers had absolutely no rights. What would stop an employer from exploiting his employees and deny them basic economic justice? Do you really believe companies care about their employees at all? All they care about is making money and if they see a chance to make even more money at the expense of their employees then they will happily do that. That is why unions are a good thing.
Yes, unions started all of that. Today we have labor laws that took over what they started. There is no longer the usefulness.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
You're very lucky to live in a non-unionized state. Don't worry, the smart citizens of your beautiful state will not allow the Feds to bully them.
S. Carolinians know the detrimental effects that unions have on practically every industry they infiltrate. Wish I could say the same about my state.
Yes, South Carolina has a bit of a history of standing up to the feds. We have actually seen an increase in industry (Boeing) because of the fact that we're non-union. Unions are just past their time - at one time there really was a legitimate need but those days are long gone.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:43 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,215 times
Quote:
My industry hasn't even had unions. Guess that shoots your theory straight to he**. In addition, we have labor laws that already protect the workers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Yes, unions started all of that. Today we have labor laws that took over what they started. There is no longer the usefulness.
How naive it is to think those labor laws protecting workers will always be with us without the pressure of unions who worked so hard to get them enacted in the first place. They weren't given to us without a massive effort from the unions and those laws benefit all of us, not just those in unions. The Family Leave Act of 1993 is their latest accomplishment and if you ever have a terminally ill child or parent you'll be grateful that act was passed. If you don't think all our labor protection laws could evaporate, just take a look at Tea Party backed freshman senator Mike Lee who thinks child labor laws are unconstitutional. We get a few more people like him in office and they can change any laws if there is no organization to push back.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:49 AM

148 posts, read 550,280 times
Growing up my dad worked for a union company. Tell your kids to their face we can`t put food on table because we are on strike have to support union. Oh goody we are back to work 3months later Oh Honey we lost the house and car because we made a better life for the union. UNION is for UNION only. Look at all the millions they spent to get their people in office while their members are losing the home cars, There are laws these days to prevent what the union support. AND ITS NOT BECAUSE OF THE UNION. I would never work for a union they are no longer needed. Unions need to stay out of any election party too. The dues should go to help the members NOT election.(Yep they support the union while their members are losing jobs, home, car ) To each there own.Unions are old news this is the 21st century .

Old 01-15-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
How naive it is to think those labor laws protecting workers will always be with us without the pressure of unions who worked so hard to get them enacted in the first place. They weren't given to us without a massive effort from the unions and those laws benefit all of us, not just those in unions. The Family Leave Act of 1993 is their latest accomplishment and if you ever have a terminally ill child or parent you'll be grateful that act was passed. If you don't think all our labor protection laws could evaporate, just take a look at freshman Tea Party backed freshman senator Mike Lee who thinks child labor laws are unconstitutional. We get a few more people like him in office and they can change any laws if there is no organization to push back.
We were responding to that particular person from Denmark. Nonetheless, you are right, it is more than just labor laws that protect employees. Retaining talented personnel is quite important, even in this economy. To retain that talent, you treat your employees well. I guess, in my non-union state, we just treat our employees better without the strong arm tactics of unions.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofnorth View Post
Growing up my dad worked for a union company. Tell your kids to their face we can`t put food on table because we are on strike have to support union. Oh goody we are back to work 3months later Oh Honey we lost the house and car because we made a better life for the union. UNION is for UNION only. Look at all the millions they spent to get their people in office while their members are losing the home cars, There are laws these days to prevent what the union support. AND ITS NOT BECAUSE OF THE UNION. I would never work for a union they are no longer needed. Unions need to stay out of any election party too. The dues should go to help the members NOT election.(Yep they support the union while their members are losing jobs, home, car ) To each there own.Unions are old news this is the 21st century .
This was my husband's experience as well. He's from West Virginia, a coal mining town. He can recall going hungry several times from these strikes. He also remembers the violence. He will never work for a union as a result.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:49 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times
Quote:
Feds threaten to sue states over union laws - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110114/ap_on_re_us/us_unions_secret_ballots - broken link)
On this one they will absolutely lose because such a law would be in direct opposition to the intent of the National Labor Relations Act which was to facilitate the right of workers to organize for the right to collectively bargain. This law as suggested would in fact reduce those rights and unlike the Arizona statutes, this does nothing to further the federal intent, thus coming into direct conflict with the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution.

In short it is a really stupid idea and a total waste of tax payer dollars.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:03 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,520,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
In short it is a really stupid idea and a total waste of tax payer dollars.
Yes It Is

I do wonder if the Obama Administration will have all
the law suits settled by the time he leaves office in 2012
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies