Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 06:20 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,414,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Just wanted to say that the N in NAACP, stands for National, in case you thought it stood for that other "N" word for some reason . And the White Caucus is everyone besides the Black and Hispanic Caucuses. Also not all black people use the "N" word or like black people to use it either. I never use it and tell people not to use it around me and my family.
I think that poster knows what that "N" stands for. I think what he means is that if people started a NAAWP everyone, especially the black community would go nuts. As far as that terrible thing thats just a word, where I live you cant hang out with a group of black people without hearing it.

Quote:
Wanted to totally agree with this. I am black and hate it when I see people use AA to describe black people or even African American because I am not an African. Someone who emigrated to America, whether white or black or whatever else is more of an African American than me.
How would you preffer to be described and how should the world at large know your preference? I'm Italian American, of course I am no less American than anyone else but recognizing my heritage is a non issue.

Quote:
Also, I think the "race card" is something that some upset white person made up. I don't think it is a real thing at all and is just something that people refer to when they are being defensive about something that could may be involve race.
Perhaps it is something that a white person thought up after having been discriminated against in favor of a black person. Ever hear of affirmative action? Racism at its best right there.

Quote:
I don't think that race is a big factor in most situations but I am not ignorant enough to believe that racism ended just because Obama was elected either. People will always have racist and prejudiced attitudes and not just white people either. But if someone does bring up something and hints that race may be a factor, it probably is a factor.
Agreed but it works both ways.

Quote:
I have also seen the 20/20 specials and other specials about race and really they were disheartening to me, being I am 31 and grew up in a very diverse neighborhood with poor people from all backgrounds and we got along great and I never experienced any racism or prejudiced attitudes until moving here to Atlanta and just interacting with more people from all over the country.
Its not hard to find something if you go looking for it.

Quote:
One of the TV specials though that sticks out in my mind the most was when there was a staged crime taking place, some white kids were vandalizing a car or bik or something and of all the 911 calls being made, most of them were about 2 black guys asleep in a car at the park instead of the vandalism being committed by the white kids. They switched it up and had black kids doing the vandalism and people went crazy with confronting the kid and calling the police when the white kids were ignored.
Not hard to stage things to push an agenda either.

Quote:
It is my personal belief that many people who don't see the negative stereotypes and portrayals of not only black people but other minorities (especially Hispanic) as being prejudicial and racist are living in a la-la land.
It is my personal experience that white people can be racist, blacks can be racist, latinos can be racist, asians can be racist, women can be sexist & men can be sexist. Its the way things are & no race or ethnicity gets away scot free.

I know it wont likely be believed but when I was in high school we had a Black principal. Our school system didn't have enough black kids so some were bussed in from a neighboring city (racism) One day during lunch our music offended one of them & he came over & shut off our radio. Make a long story short I ended up getting beat by 6 of them. As a result of my hitting their fists with my head I was placed in another school & those kids were given detention. Am I bitter? Nope, I had no desire to be in a school that was so decidedly racist. Now, 20/20 didn't do a story on it so I guess its not important to the rest of the world. But it certaiinly did happen & it happened because people dont realize that worying & looking for racism everywhere creates it.

Want racism to go away? Stop practicing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 06:47 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
They (the NAACP) raise Cain about schools using MLK Day to make up snow days, but I'm sure it would be okay with them to use Presidents' Day. (Sorry George and Abe).
And you know this how, exactly?

Old 01-16-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
For instance, we have many couple friends who are Jewish married to Christian.

The trend is not that they practice both religions, but they stay away from religion altogether. Even though they practiced their own religion before they met.
My sister (Jewish) married a "Christmas Christian" (Christian by default but not super religious), and they've managed to compromise without abandoning all beliefs... the kids are being raised Jewish, but they also celebrate the major Christian holidays & learn what they're about. Sure, it might eliminate some challenges if they were both Jewish/Christian, but you can't help who you fall in love with! And just because you combine faiths or backgrounds, it doesn't mean both have to be pushed aside. It probably would be too strained if both were hardcore about their religion, but even then compromises can be reached if they're truly in love.

Quote:
But it would not cause a problem with us either way.
Then why did you imply earlier that it would cause a problem? FWIW, both of my siblings and I have dated outside our race (and religion), and our parents didn't care one bit... so not all white people care about that crap, as you said in your other post.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:55 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I wonder how often black people actually play the race card and how often it's just white people feeling guilty and projecting their feelings onto other people.
I think that's it to a large extent--it's all supposed to be swept under the rug like it never happened, or it all happened a long time ago and it doesn't now, and if anyone brings it up in any context, it's "playing the race card." It's very defensive.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:52 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
I see it all the time, in sports, entertainment and of course when I wake up. Whenever a black man plays the race card, you call him bitter, angry, or they should just be quiet and do what they are supposed to do.

Yet (,) when a white person complains(,) there (their) counterparts (fellow whites are "counterparts"?) usually follow up to correct the error.(,) Or they are portrayed in a positive way. If a black man complains, it means he is a party pooper, an angry black man (,) etc;.

It is almost like a double standard and it shows we truly not created equal. Race is a factor in everything (,) and I don't understand why most white people try to disguise it like it is not happening or just turning (turn) a blind side.

You are very correct that double standards exist.

Had a white conservative used the same erroneous punctuation and grammar you did in this post, liberals would have eaten him or her alive. As is, you seem to have gotten a pass from all sides. Are we seeing a double standard in action? As a known white male, I'm certain I would have been called out by a literate leftist were I the writer of a similarly written post. Does your status as an African-American - I'm assuming you're black - mean no white person may criticize your use of the English language for fear of being called a bigot? More to the point, will I be labeled a racist for pointing out what everyone has seen but no one appears to have mentioned?

Yes princessdanika99, double standards abound. And while you wondered "why most white people try to disguise it like it is not happening", I expect you'll be a little disappointed that I failed to turn the customary whites-only "blind side" to this particular double standard.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
You are very correct that double standards exist.

Had a white conservative used the same erroneous punctuation and grammar you did in this post, liberals would have eaten him or her alive. As is, you seem to have gotten a pass from all sides. Are we seeing a double standard in action? As a known white male, I'm certain I would have been called out by a literate leftist were I the writer of a similarly written post. Does your status as an African-American - I'm assuming you're black - mean no white person may criticize your use of the English language for fear of being called a bigot? More to the point, will I be labeled a racist for pointing out what everyone has seen but no one appears to have mentioned?

Yes princessdanika99, double standards abound. And while you wondered "why most white people try to disguise it like it is not happening", I expect you'll be a little disappointed that I failed to turn the customary whites-only "blind side" to this particular double standard.
Oh for heavens sake. People make grammar and spelling mistakes on this board all the time, and being the grammar police is never attractive, no matter who does it. This was one of the most all time ridiculous arguments I've ever seen on this board.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:21 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Oh for heavens sake. People make grammar and spelling mistakes on this board all the time, and being the grammar police is never attractive, no matter who does it. This was one of the most all time ridiculous arguments I've ever seen on this board.

The double standard applied to blacks and whites is the issue.

What of that?

We all know blacks get a pass on grammar. No sane white person would dare call out a black person at work for poor grammar.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:

What of that?

We all know blacks get a pass on grammar. No sane white person would dare call out a black person at work for poor grammar.
I think you're really reaching here. There are plenty of people on POC who can't write to save their life. I get annoyed when ANYONE plays grammar police--it's patronizing and rude. As long as they can get out a coherent thought, who cares? That goes for radical right wingers or the far left. You're making this into a racial thing and it's not pretty. Please.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:

What of that?

That is sooooo not true... I even corrected my Black BOSS one time, for making a spelling error on our printed schedule. She thanked me sincerely for correcting the mistake, as I saved her from a bit of embarrassment (since everyone who worked for & attended the program would receive these schedules). Therefore, I'm either insane or non-white according to your theory, both of which I believe are not true.

I see thousands of grammatical & spelling errors here, and rarely correct anyone - liberal, conservative, black, white, or whatever - since it doesn't matter much on here. I don't even know the race or political persuasion of every poster, thus it would be difficult to discriminate. So I'm not really seeing your argument, as very few people play "grammar police" on the forums, except maybe to make a specific point. Also don't agree regarding the workplace, since I've worked in some incredibly diverse environments, and we all corrected each other if/when it was appropriate. I've never even thought of this factor!

Old 01-16-2011, 08:45 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I think you're really reaching here. There are plenty of people on POC who can't write to save their life. I get annoyed when ANYONE plays grammar police--it's patronizing and rude. As long as they can get out a coherent thought, who cares? That goes for radical right wingers or the far left. You're making this into a racial thing and it's not pretty. Please.
Actually, the reason I didn't respond to this OP is because I felt she wasn't able to get a coherent thought out. Do you even understand what she's talking about? Does she not realize that "playing the race card" is a bad thing? Apparently she is using it in place of "accuses one of racism," but that is not the same thing at all. Then I had to wonder if it was a white poster posing as an illiterate black person just to get a rise out of people. Since I couldn't be sure, I just didn't respond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies