Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 04:34 PM

711 posts, read 1,140,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I don't give a rat's ass about the historic struggles of black folks, honestly, b/c they have no bearing on today. The past is the past and most of us have moved on now. I suggest you do the same.
I don't think we should forget about the past because it lets us know where we come from and how to stay strong. I know the present doesn't affect the past but the past surely does affect the present. It is easy for some white folks to say just move on and get over it, but you will never understand. Some states today are still backwards.

History is part of human experience and no one should forget it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 05:08 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,092,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
NONE of your post have been intelligent in this op so what's your point?
But since you want to go there..

The Effects of Slavery Today

Not just on blacks but on whites and other races too..

Rather positive or negative or rather if you accept it or not, it has MAJOR and LASTING effects in modernized America.
"in this OP" <--What does that even mean?

You should not speak on what is intelligent and what is not if you are going to post articles like this. If you want to link to something credible, I will read it. Hubpages is just a compilation of original writing by freelancers like myself. At least I have to use citations, this article has none, which means it's all just unverifiable opinion.

It does not have an effect on America today if you don't want it to. I don't carry on what my white ancestors did, nor do I harbor their resentments toward the black race. Likewise, you as a black man (I assume) should not carry on the hostility of your ancestors toward whites. It's your choice, as it is my choice.

Why can't black people honestly own up to mistakes they make and acknowledge their own downfalls instead of just throwing out the race card? THAT is the question.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde81 View Post
I don't think we should forget about the past because it lets us know where we come from and how to stay strong. I know the present doesn't affect the past but the past surely does affect the present. It is easy for some white folks to say just move on and get over it, but you will never understand. Some states today are still backwards.

History is part of human experience and no one should forget it.
You have done the same thing another poster has. Please tell me exactly where I said we should forget the past.

I said we need to move on. How does it benefit black people to play the race card and keep seeing things in black/white terms? I would LOVE to get an honest answer to this question.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:09 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,439,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547
I think that's it to a large extent--it's all supposed to be swept under the rug like it never happened, or it all happened a long time ago and it doesn't now, and if anyone brings it up in any context, it's "playing the race card." It's very defensive.
This is what I notice a lot too. Especially if a person of color mentions in any way that a white person benefits from white privilege it's like BAM--"why do you have to play the race card? Not everything's about race!" God forbid a person of color points out that white people have an unspoken advantage in most situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey
The double standard applied to blacks and whites is the issue.

What of that?

We all know blacks get a pass on grammar. No sane white person would dare call out a black person at work for poor grammar.
Oh no. I guess I better stop editing my wife's stories, cause you know--gasp--that would be like, a white person correcting a black person's grammar!

I seriously think people make things up to complain about. I correct people's grammar when they ask me to, and if they don't, I let it slide. Most people don't care enough about grammar to correct people, and the people who do usually correct any error they come across, regardless of who makes it.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:10 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,879,591 times
Quote:
"

Why can't black people honestly own up to mistakes they make and acknowledge their own downfalls instead of just throwing out the race card? THAT is the question.
That IS the question. Some honest black leaders DO do that, but then they get blackballed and called "Uncle Toms." I will continue to admire people who think for themselves and speak the truth, regardless of the consequences to themselves.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
From some of these posts and posters that is dreaming and dreaming BIG TIME.
Yes, posters like yourself who vilify whites who call out blacks who use the race card.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:39 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,439,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821
Judging from the number of people who scream about how people who dislike Obama are just racists, I would say the race card is definitely being played and has nothing to do with whites feeling guilty. That's just one example. What would we have to feel guilty about, anyway?
How about…enslaving black people for hundreds of years? Denying black people rights? A lot of white people feel guilty about the history of slavery and racial segregation.

Quote:
No one wants it to be swept under the rug, but why do we need to keep rehashing the past? Every group has been discriminated against in some way throughout history, but do we really need to bring it up every time we interact with the group of people who did the discriminating decades ago? THAT is defensive.

There is a value to knowing history, but we don't need to dwell on it. Everyone needs to move on and move forward. How do you expect us to progress as a species if we're still hung up on things that happened 150 years ago, like slavery?
We have been moving forward. Things are much better today than they were 50 years ago. But wounds take time to heal. Maybe you're over it but that doesn't mean everyone is. Those who aren't quite over it yet have just as much right to feel the way they do as you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99
I think it's just as fair to flip it around and ask how many times was something racism or discrimination and not something else.
I agree and I did. Earlier in this thread I said that more often than not, when race is a factor, it's only one of many factors. In other words most things aren't all about race, but often times race does play a factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821
Pray tell, how does slavery have ANY affect on society today?

I said they have no bearing, show me they do.
Why do people accuse my wife of stealing all the time but never accuse me of stealing? Why do people assume she's my caretaker and not my wife? Where does that comes from? Why were blacks required by law to sit in the back of the bus 60 years ago? Why was MLK's speech "I have a Dream" a dream and not reality when he delivered it? All of those events were directly related to slavery. Modern-day racism between whites and blacks is directly linked to slavery, and all the events I just mentioned are links that lead back to slavery times.

Quote:
The idea that black people always play the race card and don't take responsibility for their mistakes is just absurd. Black people acknowledge that they're wrong all the time. I don't even understand where the idea that black people "always" play the race card comes from.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
How about…enslaving black people for hundreds of years? Denying black people rights? A lot of white people feel guilty about the history of slavery and racial segregation.
I never did that. Why should I feel guilty?
Quote:

We have been moving forward. Things are much better today than they were 50 years ago. But wounds take time to heal. Maybe you're over it but that doesn't mean everyone is. Those who aren't quite over it yet have just as much right to feel the way they do as you do.
We need to move faster. You personally probably have no wounds (or rather, your wife), and today's youth definitely have no wounds leftover from things that happened in the 60's. People need not be angry about something that 1) never happened to them and/or 2) happened to ancestors decades ago.
Quote:

I agree and I did. Earlier in this thread I said that more often than not, when race is a factor, it's only one of many factors. In other words most things aren't all about race, but often times race does play a factor.
I can agree with this, except where you say "often." I think it's probably sometimes to rarely. People just misconstrue it.

Quote:

Why do people accuse my wife of stealing all the time but never accuse me of stealing? Why do people assume she's my caretaker and not my wife? Where does that comes from? Why were blacks required by law to sit in the back of the bus 60 years ago? Why was MLK's speech "I have a Dream" a dream and not reality when he delivered it? All of those events were directly related to slavery. Modern-day racism between whites and blacks is directly linked to slavery, and all the events I just mentioned are links that lead back to slavery times.
I don't know. Maybe she looks sneaky, or maybe she just looks like she takes care of you in some way (you're deaf and blind, correct? That might have something to do with it)? I couldn't tell you b/c I'm not there. People who assume things are idiots, pay them no mind, don't get your knickers in a twist just b/c someone thinks something false about you and your wife's relationship.

Honestly, maybe the whole point here is that we should stop caring what others think of us. It's natural but there needs to be a line drawn.

I don't think it's right that blacks had to sit in the back, but it happened. Why do we still need to bring it up today, like it has any relation to how you or I function in everyday life?

Quote:

The idea that black people always play the race card and don't take responsibility for their mistakes is just absurd. Black people acknowledge that they're wrong all the time. I don't even understand where the idea that black people "always" play the race card comes from.
Some blacks do take responsibility, but I have yet to meet one on CD that does not throw the race card when it's convenient. I have met many fewer blacks in real life who do this. Maybe it's just something that happens on online forums. Or maybe I just choose to surround myself by people who don't have a chip on their shoulder.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:04 PM

774 posts, read 1,162,401 times
Quote:

Actually, many of us do. Bill Cosby speaks on it; Roland S Martin speaks on it; Dr. Michael Eric Dyson speaks on it; Shelby Steele speaks on it. Black people I know and associate with speak on it;. We readily acknowledge the problems in the Black Community and acknowledge those behaviors that contribute to the problem.

My question to you is, why is it that you go into attack mode any time a black person points up a discriminatory act perpetrated by a white individual or organization. Instead of examining the situation, your immediately yell "Race Card", as though the situation was not a bona fide race-based offense. A lot of bad that is done to black people is not necessarily racially motivated. A lot of it is. You seem to have a problem accepting that there actually are racially motivated acts of wrong doing perpetrated by whites. Yes, I know that black people are also guilty of perpetrating racially based wrongs against whites, but that's not the issue here. And please don't try to dodge the question placed at your feet by trying to hide behind the wrondoings that black people do. I already know about that and that's not what I'm asking you about.

Further, I invite you to go back to Post #155 in this thread, examine the posted links, and then come back and explain why it is that you maintain that the legacy of slavery in these United States has no impact on society today. You seem to have not been able to respond to that post, but I noticed that you did attempt to discredit a link on the same subject posted subsequent to my post. Let's not cherry pick.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:15 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,329,403 times
Quote:
Yes, posters like yourself who vilify whites who call out blacks who use the race card.

Nobody is vilifying whites but yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies