U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 05:10 PM

81 posts, read 190,176 times

Advertisements

I see it all the time, in sports, entertainment and of course when I wake up. Whenever a black man plays the race card, you call him bitter, angry, or they should just be quiet and do what they are supposed to do.

Yet when a white person complains there counterparts usually follow up to correct the error. Or they are portrayed in a positive way. If a black man complains, it means he is a party pooper, an angry black man etc;.

It is almost like a double standard and it shows we truly not created equal. Race is a factor in everything and I don't understand why most white people try to disguise it like it is not happening or just turning a blind side.

Last edited by prinessdanika99; 01-14-2011 at 05:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 05:42 PM

7,288 posts, read 13,490,578 times
Well, considering your post is completely subjective, does not offer any examples, implies that everything is about race, and uses said subjective hyperbole to make a glaring assumption, there isn't much to talk about.

Might as well lock it up and move on to the next thread.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:48 PM

6,760 posts, read 10,428,253 times
Have you ever been falsely accused of something? Were you happy to just sit there and allow a false accusation against you to stand unchallenged? If so, you know why a lot of white people get angry when the race card is played. Fact is, its simply played way too much, very often when there is no racism involved at all.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:14 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,968,211 times
Here's a starting point:

The Toll of Racial Quotas and Preferences: True Horror Stories.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:42 PM

919 posts, read 1,703,661 times
I think whites are tired of being given no recognition for being helpful and the main reason minorities have rights. Laws were not past by blacks that made them equal. Obama is president because WHITE presidents said things need to change and made them happen. Yes there were whites not wanting the change, but the vast majority said different. many have died helping minorities. they are not wanting a public thank you, just get off the attitude.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:58 AM

1,882 posts, read 2,839,883 times
its not been that long ago, 50 years or so, that jim crow was still in effect and people were still being lynched in the south. so i know that there is some cause for bitterness.

however, what i don't like about your post is the sweeping generalities. "white folks". i am a white folk. i grew up in the south in a town where there were no black folk. there were separate churches. there were separate graveyards for white and black people even in the churches that were integrated. i grew up with this and being who i am, i questioned it as soon as i could talk. the only black people i had ever seen up close and personal as a child were on "good times", but i knew there was something really wrong with this whole idea.

when i got older and started hanging out in atlanta, i just thought that it would be obvious (silly me) that i wasn't racist and that it wouldn't be any big deal. how wrong i was. there were a couple times when i would go into a restaurant (and i'm talking on north ave, not sweet auburn) where we would not be served and totally ignored while other, darker people were. and who made up the staff? a whole gaggle of black ladies. who stood and watched us for a half an hour and didn't bring us menus. we finally left.

that is the point where alot of people would have became racist. but i didn't. because i am not white. i don't think of myself that way. hell no. what the HELL does that even mean? i have african in my blood from a couple centuries ago. i have cherokee indian and scotch-irish. in america they call this white. some say it means european descent. does that include spain? are spanish europeans considered white, because they are european?

when you sort it all out it looks a bit silly.

i don't think this is an issue for most people anymore. we have a mocha president, and OJ got away with murder. ergo, even a black man can become president and kill his blonde wife and get away with it. and the only people i see using the race card are the lazy ones. its the knee jerk reaction for the hard of thinking. "they must be doing this because i am black!" uh, maybe its because you are a JERK. you know? i don't think in terms of race, and i don't think many people do. but if you do, then you see patterns that to me, are just the last vestiges of old-time racism having its last gasp. it WILL die, at least in this country.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:57 AM

727 posts, read 425,489 times
Because some persons uses it wrong. It is like a weapon against whites you know, it is used for blackmailing and stuff.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:41 AM

14,540 posts, read 22,406,075 times
I don't think one could tie race to a behavior. The OP seems to be implying that minorities are using their race to gain some favor and whites are getting upset about this happening.

This would discredit the fact that some folks... of no particular race, don't see the need to get upset when others get ahead, but pay more attention to themselves and take responsibility to their own situation.

The perceived differences amongst the races is basically an ego driven perception anyway. We are more than the color of our skin. Some folks understand this and I wouldn't tie this to a race because there's something within us that transcends the barrier of our own awareness. At some level, we are all connected, despite our race, creed, socio-economic status, etc.

If anybody anywhere gets ahead and/or succeeds on this planet, the rest of us should feel good for them as we all benefit. When someone takes responsibility for their situation and rises beyond their current situation despite obstacles, all are benefitted. If anybody is adversely affected by the success of another, that's ego. Conversely, if someone gets ahead by applying for assistance, our altruistic spirit should kick in. If someone gets ahead by complaining, that's just annoying... despite our "race". For example, can someone's race or gender help them get a job? If so, that's great. But if someone's race or gender prevents them from losing a job due to incompetence, that's a shameful thing.

Define exactly what "race card" means and in what context... otherwise, we're all stuck with our own assumptions. I personally have no experience with the thing.

If anybody could use their race in anyway to gain some favor, I think some would eventually do it... and some would absolutely not. To pin this down to any race is ludacris at best.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:57 AM

2,243 posts, read 3,569,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
I see it all the time, in sports, entertainment and of course when I wake up. Whenever a black man plays the race card, you call him bitter, angry, or they should just be quiet and do what they are supposed to do.

Yet when a white person complains there counterparts usually follow up to correct the error. Or they are portrayed in a positive way. If a black man complains, it means he is a party pooper, an angry black man etc;.

It is almost like a double standard and it shows we truly not created equal. Race is a factor in everything and I don't understand why most white people try to disguise it like it is not happening or just turning a blind side.
I'm 39, and it's at the point where I'm sick and tired to hearing how minorities have it so bad in this country. In the meantime, the U.S. is better to Blacks than any other country on this planet, even countries managed by Blacks, such as Zimbabwe or Haiti. I'm young enough to have not seen Blacks sprayed with fire hoses or accosted by barking dogs, but I am old enough to know what it's like to be turned down for employment, whilst these same corporations I've sought employment from actively recruit "people of color".

To quote Alex Linder, "We're not listening anymore."

Old 01-15-2011, 05:45 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,503,156 times
Just one quick question. How can it be so very bad for black people here when we are the ONLY major country in the world to have ever elected a black man for president?

To answer the OP how can it be RIGHT when ANYBODY tries to use race as an excuse? Racism is racism & the sooner the black community realizes that they are as racist as anybody else the sooner we can put this behind us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies