Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 11:25 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
I think anything is possible on paper.

Some aspects of gun control are good, but not perfect: i.e. criminal background checks. There are still criminals out there who are able to acquire weapons without much difficulty.

I don't generally support gun control laws for practical reasons, not because of ideological/philosophical reasons.

Someone who is determined to obtain a high capacity magazine will do so regardless of laws. Worse, they can just buy another gun(s). Heck, isn't "another gun" a faster "reload"?

Bottom line, I don't think it's a good idea because it isn't going to accomplish much of what it intends to do.
Excellent points.

My solution is extensive education for gun ownership. Classes on safety, responsibility and legal ramifications. It's time that anti gunners stop attempting to put restrictive bandaids on law abiding citizens to prevent the mentally incompetent and illegal from using guns. By the same token it's time that gun advocates step up to the plate and endorse extensive education as a requirement for responsible gun ownership.

If Loughner had to attend three weekends of classes held by certified firearms instructors, he'd been weeded out of the process and would never had owned a gun unless purchased illegally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 11:34 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,121 times
Should lawmakers enact a high-capacity (30-bullet or more) magazine ban?

Absolutely.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:37 AM

898 posts, read 827,647 times
Absolutely NOT!

Old 01-16-2011, 11:41 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,273 times
Do you think it is likely that manufactures will then make 29 round magazines? If so, is it that 1 bullet that really makes the difference?

Old 01-16-2011, 11:47 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Excellent points.

My solution is extensive education for gun ownership. Classes on safety, responsibility and legal ramifications. It's time that anti gunners stop attempting to put restrictive bandaids on law abiding citizens to prevent the mentally incompetent and illegal from using guns. By the same token it's time that gun advocates step up to the plate and endorse extensive education as a requirement for responsible gun ownership.

If Loughner had to attend three weekends of classes held by certified firearms instructors, he'd been weeded out of the process and would never had owned a gun unless purchased illegally.
Too bad notions like this weren't around during the birth of our nation.
The patriots fighting for freedom could have been stalled or weeded out by safety classes conducted by loyalists and we could have remained part of the monarchy.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:53 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Really?? Why would a private citizen ever need to fire 30 rounds in 10 seconds?? Give Bambi a chance!!
1 bambi isn't a real deer.

2 States have regulations on how much ammo a hunting gun may have in it, and a alot of other regs

3 the 2nd isn't about hunting.

4 This was done by Clinton and Biden drew it up. That ban sunset without making a bit of sence (typical for the left)

5 This killer is a wacko plain and simple. A someone who should have been on his meds. He had to lie to buy the gun which is a felony. He should be charged with that felony as well as all these murders, but I doubt he will be for a bit of it. That old insanity plea will be what he gets and pretty soon he will walk the streets............... again.

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 01-16-2011 at 12:01 PM..

Old 01-16-2011, 11:54 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,989,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting.

Your damn right, it has everything to do with political killing, for example when John Hinckley nearly killed Ronald Reagan in early 1981. America might be a better place if George Herbert Walker Bush had begun his Presidency in 1981 instead of 1989. American histroy also changed when John Kennedy, William McKinley and Abraham Lincoln had their Presidencies ended by gun fire. Gun fire also eliminated too of our Founding Fathers from political life, Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr. Also the Presidencyt of Andrew Jackson might have never been, but Andrew was a better shot and Old Hickory went through his Presidency with a bullet in his chest to keep him company.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:56 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Too bad notions like this weren't around during the birth of our nation.
The patriots fighting for freedom could have been stalled or weeded out by safety classes conducted by loyalists and we could have remained part of the monarchy.
That's really a cartoonish stretch there, Frank. Why wouldn't gun advocates want safe, responsible, educated gun owners among their ranks? I'll tell you one thing though, if gun owners don't step up to the plate with some form of reasonable solutions against the anti gun backlash and keep stonewalling behind the 2nd. we are going to lose the fight against unreasonable restrictions placed on gun ownership by a fired up, anti gun, social agenda. Education is the compromise between the two factions. We as gun owners can take charge of the debate and institute education programs or we can sit in the back of the bus spouting absurd arguements against any form of restriction or regulation on anybody at any time and lose the war. If society felt that gun owners were responsible, well trained and educated, concerning firearms we'd have much less screaming from anti gunners for more meaningless restrictions.

Last edited by mohawkx; 01-16-2011 at 12:04 PM..

Old 01-16-2011, 12:00 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
That's really a cartoonish stretch there, Frank. Why wouldn't gun advocates want safe, responsible, educated gun owners among their ranks? I'll tell you one thing though, if gun owners don't step up to the plate with some form of reasonable solutions against the anti gun backlash we are going to lose the fight against unreasonable restrictions placed on gun ownership by a fired up anti gun social agenda. Education is the compromise between the two factions.

I don't need the .gov to educate me in order to retain/exercise a Constitutional right. That right is mine, from birth, and while it may be taken away from me due to my actions, it most certainly must not be denied me because of my inactions(like not taking a .gov approved class.)

Old 01-16-2011, 12:02 PM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Is THAT a personal attack?

You know, I just don't hear much or read much about families having to defend themselves in their homes with guns, against criminals breaking in with bigger weapons. Certainly it must happen, but I haven't heard much about that type of thing. I've also heard that watch dogs are great for security. Actually, I've also heard that criminals are often kind of lazy and if they heard a big dog barking in a home, they'll just move on to an easier target. Does your gun bark for you?
Maybe you should expand your reading material: Home*|*The Armed Citizen

"FromFrom WALB of January 6, 2011: A woman known for carrying the notorious Taurus Judge had occasion to use it when two armed men attacked her WALB of January 6, 2011: A woman known for carrying the notorious Taurus Judge had occasion to use it when two armed men attacked her".

So theorestically, 2 men armed with 15 round magazines attack you and you only have 15 rounds. Who is at a disadvantage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies