Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 04:44 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Why do you feel the need to be the spelling and grammar police? Everyone knew what he/she was saying, so why do you care? It was mean.
There's a difference in mean and honest. Folks who don't give a damn worry me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 04:48 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
There's a difference in mean and honest. Folks who don't give a damn worry me.
Folk who feel the need to constantly point out others faults without looking at their own are rude.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:56 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
By your definitions, a family at the poverty level who manages with their meager income would be classified as working class. Meanwhile, a family with $300,000/yr that lives from paycheck to paycheck would also be classified as working class.

Sorry, your definitions don't work for me.
A family that lives paycheck to paycheck is working class regardless of income because they are dependent on that next paycheck. You could make $300k per year and be working class very easily. You have a $4000 mortgage, $1500 in car payments and 3 kids in college will cost a bundle, etc, etc.

But in the end, the definition is whatever you want it to be.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:05 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
A family that lives paycheck to paycheck is working class regardless of income because they are dependent on that next paycheck. You could make $300k per year and be working class very easily. You have a $4000 mortgage, $1500 in car payments and 3 kids in college will cost a bundle, etc, etc.

But in the end, the definition is whatever you want it to be.
Poverty level income....$300,000/yr are NOT the same economic class, no matter how you spin your definitions.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:59 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
poor<me<rich.

that's all the categories I need.

I guess, for you, I might be working class. All my bills are paid, but I don't have money for "extras".

Old 01-16-2011, 11:01 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
We all have our definitions, so here's mine;

Wealthy: You have enough assets or income that you don't have to work to continue your current standard of living.

Rich: You have lived within your means and saved for a rainy day. You have enough assets that if you were unemployed for 6 - 12 months, you could still meet your obligations such as house payment, etc. until you found another job. You don't plan around paydays or even know when they happen because you manage your expenses to be lower than your income and keep enough liquid assets that you don't worry about spikes in expenses.

Working class: You have no extra cash. You spend everything you make, and your paycheck is mostly spent before it arrives. You plan purchases around paydays because you have little or no liquid assets. But you do meet your obligations, at least as long as you are employed.

Comments ?
Your 'working class' is just the definition of people who are moronic with their cash.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:04 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
We all have our definitions, so here's mine;

Wealthy: You have enough assets or income that you don't have to work to continue your current standard of living.

Rich: You have lived within your means and saved for a rainy day. You have enough assets that if you were unemployed for 6 - 12 months, you could still meet your obligations such as house payment, etc. until you found another job. You don't plan around paydays or even know when they happen because you manage your expenses to be lower than your income and keep enough liquid assets that you don't worry about spikes in expenses.

Working class: You have no extra cash. You spend everything you make, and your paycheck is mostly spent before it arrives. You plan purchases around paydays because you have little or no liquid assets. But you do meet your obligations, at least as long as you are employed.

Poor: You don't make enough to pay your bills without help from someone else (parents, government, charities, etc). This could be due to your lack of financial discipline, a personal tragedy, or you have physical or mental disabilities that prohibit you from earning enough money to take care of yourself.

Notice that my definitions have NO NUMBERS. That's because I think you could have high income people in any of the four categories, and low income people in any of the four categories.

Comments ?
I guess your definitions are pretty much on point.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Poverty level income....$300,000/yr are NOT the same economic class, no matter how you spin your definitions.
I have to agree. If you have the money to waste on all that, then you're likely rich.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:26 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I have to agree. If you have the money to waste on all that, then you're likely rich.
In the 50's when I began with my first wife I earned about $5,500 per year. I had benefits...hospitalization, vacation, pension guaranteed if I stayed with the company, etc. When I retired in 1993 I was earning about $50,000. I educated my three children and began saving as much as I could in the mid eighties as they finished college. We live in a nice house on the lake and have considerable money in two investment accounts which we rolled over from our 401K's. I've always thought of myself as working class...or what used to be called the middle class.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:35 AM

If you can afford to put kids through college on your own dime, you're rich.

Working class/middle class people live paycheck to paycheck, there's nothing left for "savings".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies