Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 12:35 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times

Advertisements

Not only is the whole "supersized" portions contributing to obesity, the lack of education regarding proper nutrition and the fact that foods are overprocessed. I have been an unfortunate victim of this due to my lack of awareness of proper nutrition and now taking the steps I need for a more healthier me. It's a shame that most of our grocery foods are over processed crap so it is difficult to avoid it completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 12:41 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
I just read an article called "Corn syrup may help promote obesity" by Luke Curtis, MD, MS, CIH.

It states that from 1970-1990 (period of study) HFCS use increased by 1,000%; that HFCS is responsible for 7% of average daily caloric intake. Rat studies show obesity, increased body weight and triglyceride levels.

We are what we eat.

Another study shows that the use of aspartame increases hunger.

A good reason to choose natural. If I can't pronounce it, I don't eat it.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:47 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Take your bag of bread off the counter. Check the ingredients listing. I'm willing to bet one of the ingredients is ... high fructose corn syrup.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I just read an article called "Corn syrup may help promote obesity" by Luke Curtis, MD, MS, CIH.

It states that from 1970-1990 (period of study) HFCS use increased by 1,000%; that HFCS is responsible for 7% of average daily caloric intake. Rat studies show obesity, increased body weight and triglyceride levels.

We are what we eat.

Another study shows that the use of aspartame increases hunger.

A good reason to choose natural. If I can't pronounce it, I don't eat it.
It's sad but most Americans are ignorant about the "corn syrup" that is being used to sweeten so many of our foods and how harmful that stuff is. I'm only now realizing this myself and working on changing my eating habits to where I am eating more natural foods versus the processed crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Take your bag of bread off the counter. Check the ingredients listing. I'm willing to bet one of the ingredients is ... high fructose corn syrup.
This is why I use multi-grain breads ....

Old 01-17-2011, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
The only problem is in America we have illegals ( my goof GUEST WORKERS) pick our fresh fruits and greens, out in the fields they don't provide a place to take a **** or a dump. Even better they get them from fields in the fertile highlands of Mexico where they meet all Government Standards, the government of The Estados Unindos de Mexico that is.
More and more I'm seeing that our fruits and veggies are coming from Mexico ... If the water ain't safe to drink when you are visiting Mexico, how the HECK is our fruits and veggies safe when their contaminated water was used for farming?

Don't even get me started on the whole meat packages that indicate that the origins are "Canada/USA/Mexico"! Why are our meat products originating in THREE different countries?

Old 01-17-2011, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Farms don't have to pay minimum wage, and you're not gonna get any benefits picking produce. What citizen is gonna want that job?
The zillions of Americans that are currently out of work and that are desperate for income...

Old 01-17-2011, 01:09 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
You might want to learn about meat packing in the US.
It's one of the reasons why I'm vegetarian.

It's horrendous and dangerous and, at times, deadly.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:35 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
I have also chosen to eat fresh whole foods, locally grown if at all possible. I do have an issue with the government trying to legislate healthy options, or what they think is healthy, for everyone.

I am not a proponent of the corn subsidies because it makes HFCS even more prevalent in our food options. I do believe that HFCS has contributed to the obesity epidemic in our population. For my child, I have chosen to feed her fresh, whole foods.

Beyond making sure our foods are safe, I really believe there should not be government intervention into our foods, through either banning certain ones or increasing others through subsidies.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:37 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
The zillions of Americans that are currently out of work and that are desperate for income...
Reminded me of this article.

United Farm Workers invite Americans to 'Take Our Jobs' - Jul. 7, 2010

Old 01-17-2011, 01:46 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Some of that stuff looked tasty.

[yum]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies