Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 11:42 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
...Watch Undercover Boss.

When a "CEO" can't do the most basic job that he pays his workers crap wages to do, nor has a clue about how the policies he and his well heeled corporate execs effect their workforce or their product it tells you volumes about the condition of American companies.

I read a lot of nostalgic posts on these boards about returning to the Constitution, or 19th century economic principles, well I would like to go back to a time when CEO's weren't just hired guns but folks that really understood their core business.
excellent!! you hit the nail on the head...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 11:51 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
There are good CEO's and bad ones. I don't expect them to know how to do every job under them, that's nuts, but they do need to have an understanding of the workflow from the bottom up, and what the employees deal with.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:07 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't expect them to know how to do every job under them, that's nuts,
Nuts?

Sort trash?

Put a screw in a wall?

And these are the CEO's who are actually willing to go into the bottom wrung of their company and be humiliated on national television!

Old 01-17-2011, 09:11 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
This topic is a bit of a stretch....

Why would the owner of a company know the nuts and bolts of how the work is done?

Should the CEo of GM know how to paint a car?
Or work the production line?

Should Obama know how to fly a helicopter or pilot a drone?

Old 01-17-2011, 09:44 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:

When a "CEO" can't do the most basic job that he pays his workers crap wages to do, nor has a clue about how the policies he and his well heeled corporate execs effect their workforce or their product it tells you volumes about the condition of American companies.

I read a lot of nostalgic posts on these boards about returning to the Constitution, or 19th century economic principles, well I would like to go back to a time when CEO's weren't just hired guns but folks that really understood their core business.
You do realize this is a TV program geared towards ratings.......they have a camera man following them around........If you want to say this is a legit then you must also acknowledge that about all other "Reality" tv shows! Wife swap, Real housewives..........

Old 01-17-2011, 10:29 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Should the CEo of GM know how to paint a car?
Or work the production line?
There's a difference between service industries and production. For most service industries, the value is generated right on the front line, and the CEO should be able to understand the workflow in detail, because his decisions can have huge and immediate ramifications.

Production industry is different, because there's presumably an established base of owners already using the product, so bad decisions do not trigger immediate effects.

The CEO of GM needs to understand to considerable detail what can and cannot be done with the tools and methods at his disposal and having an industry background helps immensely. Obviously he cannot have the aggregate skills of every worker or engineer. Without deep understanding, unless a CEO is very good at surrounding himself with - and listening to - those who do have the knowledge, he's not going to make good decisions.

Nobody expects Bill Gates to sit down and code a few modules of the next Windows release. But he has been writing code for a living, so he gets what problems can and can't be solved with programming.

On the flip side, Carly Fiorina mismanaging HP is the classical example of a CEO of a technical business not understanding what the business actually did.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:37 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Yeah, I watched an episode.

I've always found generally that the sophistication of the delegation of . . . everything . . is . . stupid.
You don't actually expect the master to pick cotton do you?

Of course, I know YOU don't ... I use the "you" generically.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:42 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
You do realize this is a TV program geared towards ratings.......they have a camera man following them around........If you want to say this is a legit then you must also acknowledge that about all other "Reality" tv shows! Wife swap, Real housewives..........
That's right!

A "new" employee suddenly and mysteriously shows up for work followed by a camera crew and who looks suspiciously just like the CEO pictured on the bulletin board in the back of the store, and nobody notices?

I can't imagine that people are truly dumb enough to swallow this horse manure, let along develop a philosophy of management/worker relations from it!

I mean, gee whiz, people! How blatant does it have to be? Are you REALLY that gullible?

Old 01-17-2011, 11:04 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:

I disagree. I was once hired to start a new division in a company that they had never been involved in.

Smart CEO's hire experts to do many things that need to be done that they don't know how to do themselves.

Do you think every CEO is an attorney, a CPA, a HR expert, a janitor?

His job is to "run" the company, not know how to do every single job, big or small.

I think many on here are just anti business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies