Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 12:29 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times

Advertisements

Are the remaining Arab dictators fearful?

Tunisia: the first Arab revolution | Mona Eltahawy | Comment is free | The Guardian

Quote:
Leave it to Muammar Gaddafi, the world's longest-serving dictator, to best portray that panic. Addressing a nation where thousands had faced down the bullets of Ben Ali's security to protest at unemployment, police brutality and the corruption of the regime, Gaddafi told Tunisians they were now suffering bloodshed and lawlessness because they were too hasty in getting rid of Ben Ali.

If every Arab leader has watched Tunisia in fear, then every Arab citizen has watched in hope because it was neither Islamists – long used by our leaders to scare many into acquiescence – nor foreign troops that toppled the dictator: it was ordinary and very fed up people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 10:19 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss ...

Old 01-17-2011, 02:55 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Ah, I get it!

I was getting ready to ask how this was the first Arab revolution considering the Iranian Revolution and then I remembered Iran is Persian.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:27 PM

344 posts, read 462,584 times
I hope they get some normal people in charge there.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:29 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Ah, I get it!

I was getting ready to ask how this was the first Arab revolution considering the Iranian Revolution and then I remembered Iran is Persian.
Well, there is always the Algerians vs the French in the 1950s. That probably counts as a revolution.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:40 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Well, there is always the Algerians vs the French in the 1950s. That probably counts as a revolution.
You know, I was thinking that as well, but I got lazy.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:43 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Ah, I get it!

To be fair, there have been several Arab revolutions, most of them just failed.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:53 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Love the postings about this or that revolution....

Guess they might not have noticed what CENTURY it is now???

Old 01-17-2011, 04:26 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss ...
Pretty much. I don't even think it's newsworthy.

But if there are to be some changes in the Arab world, they'll have to come from entirely within their own countries or culture. Outside agitating will achieve nothing there.

That said, i don't really care about what happens in the Arab world. But at least it's provided some great entertainment over the years...if not much else.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:02 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Pretty much. I don't even think it's newsworthy.

But if there are to be some changes in the Arab world, they'll have to come from entirely within their own countries or culture. Outside agitating will achieve nothing there.

That said, i don't really care about what happens in the Arab world. But at least it's provided some great entertainment over the years...if not much else.

The Arab/Islamic world has its own version of regime change and Presidential sucession. It consists of a time of exciting insurection and the elimination of the previous strong man. The new man emerges all happy with a smile and cheering crowds. the new man kinda forgets those promises he made and starts to get a taste for fine Euro thingamajigs,he then gets defensive and cleans out his critics, challengers real or imagined does it really matter, he gets on in years has a number one son and prepares him to take up the reigns of power when he can no longer hold them. Then the cycle begins again with the son and heir or the new man who may snatch the reigns out of his hands. Now there are interesting variations, if you hold on power is ended by a trusty deputy or aide you have been Saddamized. If you fall victim to your palace guard you got Sadated. (In a related culture we call this an Indira) When your body conks out at too young an age you were Nassered. If your airplane or chopper has an unfortunate accident we have a Zia. Finaly if an external power preferably a Super Power concludes you just have to go them you have been Amined, named after a late President of Afganistan who spent a little quality time with the Spetznazi. Isn't Arab/Islamic governance so easy to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies