Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 07:57 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Yes, the point is that neo-cons ARE liberals. That's why I was amused at seeing the term neo-con utilized so many times against posters that were clearly and definitively conservative.
If one was a supporter of the last President, heck I voted for him in the second election, and supported the Republicans in Congress for the last 10 years then yes they were neo-cons. If that means those Republicans were nothing more than Liberals in Conservative clothng then that is what it means. The Dems never claimed to be conservatives, the Repubs in office over the last 10 years did, so the label applies to them alone, that is a major point some here seem to keep missing. I cannot make it any clearer, but if anyone wants to refuse to see why the lable is applied and would rather argue the semantics of the terms usage they are welcome to go for it.
Casper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 08:00 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
So a the democrats who are hypocritical almost on every point Casper made are neocons
Wendall Wilkie {R}{D} said " there is hardly a dimes difference between the two parties and mostly I think he is right. Maybe we need a new definition for the {D}s how about neo liberals. One of their talking points is the {R} party is all cozy with Wall street then you look at the Obama administration and it is filled with the banksters, he just hired a new one the other day.
Or how bout we are ending the Iraqi war and bringing our troops home has been re translated into we are leaving 50,000 troops. I could go on and on. But myself I believe both parties get their marching orders from the shadow gov that JFK talked about mainly the FR on monetary and economic policy and the CFR on foreign policy and lets not forget large corporations that greases the palms.
Yes, both parties have a lot in common and are alike and that is why most arguments on here end up your party did it too.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and mine is that your definitions are a whole lot leftie.
Guess that depends on ones POV, mine is actually just left of center, I assume yours is either right or far right of center. You are welcome to your POV and I will stick with mine.
Casper

Old 01-17-2011, 08:13 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
A neo-conservative is a new age LBJ "guns-n-butter" progressive who bashes libertarians and strict constitutionalists and has the same intensity of hate towards them as they have toward liberal progressives. Progressives from both parties tend to view libertarians as too ideological, not realizing the same policies were firmly entrenched in the 19th century when we had the largest real GDP growth in our nation's history and a boon in the standard of living for all Americans overall.

When someone calls you too ideological, chances are they are a progressive from one of the two parties. The issues (pot usage, foreign intervention, economy, health care) dictate which stripe of progressive they are. That's also a useful litmus test in knowing you're right.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:15 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
If one was a supporter of the last President, heck I voted for him in the second election, and supported the Republicans in Congress for the last 10 years then yes they were neo-cons. If that means those Republicans were nothing more than Liberals in Conservative clothng then that is what it means. The Dems never claimed to be conservatives, the Repubs in office over the last 10 years did, so the label applies to them alone, that is a major point some here seem to keep missing. I cannot make it any clearer, but if anyone wants to refuse to see why the lable is applied and would rather argue the semantics of the terms usage they are welcome to go for it.
Casper
Actually, I would agree to a point. There were plenty of conservatives that claimed to be conservative and then their actions were quite liberal. The one glaring difference would be the social policies of the Republicans of the last 10 years were most definitely not liberal. However, we did have massive spending and the desire to spread democracy throughout the world. I think the Tea Party is about the closest to conservative that we have today. Should be interesting to see how the GOP evolves as many, many conservatives were very unhappy with the GOP's actions in the last decade.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Yes, the point is that neo-cons ARE liberals. That's why I was amused at seeing the term neo-con utilized so many times against posters that were clearly and definitively conservative.
It would lack class if you named those so called consevatives but I bet if we did and took a poll and asked if they voted for John McCain it would be nearly 100% that they did. That one act took away any of their conservative credentials that they so claimed they had.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
A neo-conservative is a new age LBJ "guns-n-butter" progressive who bashes libertarians and strict constitutionalists and has the same intensity of hate towards them as they have toward liberal progressives. Progressives from both parties tend to view libertarians as too ideological, not realizing the same policies were firmly entrenched in the 19th century when we had the largest real GDP growth in our nation's history and a boon in the standard of living for all Americans overall.

When someone calls you too ideological, chances are they are a progressive from one of the two parties. The issues (pot usage, foreign intervention, economy, health care) dictate which stripe of progressive they are. That's also a useful litmus test in knowing you're right.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I thought this would be interesting because I have seen, multiple times, Tea Party proponents referred to as neo-cons. I believe the Tea Party is not even close to being neo-cons.
At this point in time I agree that calling those associated with the Tea Party movement as Neo-cons would be incorrect, and I have never done so. I hope you are correct that they will not prove themselves to be such but I will have to see more of their real actions before making that judgement. I still wonder if would not be easier for them to break with the GOP and forming their own Party. Reforming a Party from within when the leadership of the Party is against you is not an easy thing to do.
Casper

Old 01-17-2011, 08:35 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
As I peruse these threads, I notice that a lot of people use the term neocon, short for neoconservative. This begs the question on exactly what you think a neoconservative is and how you would define it? I would love to see your personal opinion vice something quoted off a site.

ne- cons ( ie neo eqauls new) are former democratic progressives that believe the liberals took over the democrat party and are too far to the left, they are not left or right, but the worst of the both...........new-cons are SOCIALLY conservative (from their SOUTHERN BAPTIST roots), but fiscally liberal (ie how bush spent like a democrat)....sometimes neo-con and neo-lib can be interchangable

noe cons are not republicans or conservatives......they are progressives in conservatives clothing

Old 01-17-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post

OK, I'll bite:
Pot Usage: A personal choice for adults to make for themselves.
Foreign Intervention: Only when apsolutely no other alternatives are avilable, a very last choice.
Economy: A Balanced Budget with spending closley controlled, social and other programs including the military reformed to be as efficient as possible.
Healthcare: Affordable Insurance available to all, nothing more nothing less.
Now where in the progressive spectrum do I fall?
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies