Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:08 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Why do you want to silence speech you don't agree with? Would you say the same about Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh's shows? Those terms are not different but equal.
Since when do Beck and Limbaugh actually use racial slurs? Never. Furthermore, since liberals seem to be so righteous about political correctness, they should also be consistent (but they aren't, which is typical of hypocrites).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 10:19 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,834,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Since when do Beck and Limbaugh actually use racial slurs? Never. Furthermore, since liberals seem to be so righteous about political correctness, they should also be consistent (but they aren't, which is typical of hypocrites).
are you angry with the used term gringo or you just angry...

Old 01-17-2011, 10:19 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
I find it hard to believe that you're all about consistency yet at the same time, find the racism of Beck and Limabaugh acceptable because they don't use out and out slurs...

You want to silence NPR because you don't agree with it. At least have the where-with-all to come out and say it. Instead of faux outrage at this one reporter's poor choice of speech and no outrage at Beck and Limbaugh's series of racist comments (which have been well documented on here, so please don't bother with bogus request for clips), perhaps you could work on your own inconsistencies.

I think FOX news is dangerous, panders to the lowest common denominator, and that people who watch it are generally misinformed. But I also believe in the Constitutional right of free speech. Don't you?

For the record, I wouldn't mind if the 2% of NPR's budget that comes from the Federal Government were eliminated-- If only to have some people stop whining about it.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:25 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
NPR's true colors shining through again.

Across America, Latino Community Sighs With Relief : NPR
The left is so wrapped up in race, its all they seem to think about. Even sheriff Stupnik had to make the statement that Tucson was a Mecca of racial bigotry and hate, even when he had no evidence behind the motives for the shooting.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:33 AM

810 posts, read 1,578,712 times
I have to admit, the first thing I did when I heard about the shooting in Arizona, was to find out the name of the shooter

I was relieved it was not a Latino. It was a terrible event that should have never taken place. But the shooting had already taken place and I couldn't help feeling that way.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
are you angry with the used term gringo or you just angry...
I'm angry at hypocrisy, which should be obvious to anyone who can read.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:35 AM

7,528 posts, read 11,362,441 times
Daisy should have used the term illegal-immigrant instead of talking about people being anti-immigrant. No one is against legal-immigrants.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I find it hard to believe that you're all about consistency yet at the same time, find the racism of Beck and Limabaugh acceptable because they don't use out and out slurs...

You want to silence NPR because you don't agree with it. At least have the where-with-all to come out and say it. Instead of faux outrage at this one reporter's poor choice of speech and no outrage at Beck and Limbaugh's series of racist comments (which have been well documented on here, so please don't bother with bogus request for clips), perhaps you could work on your own inconsistencies.

I think FOX news is dangerous, panders to the lowest common denominator, and that people who watch it are generally misinformed. But I also believe in the Constitutional right of free speech. Don't you?

For the record, I wouldn't mind if the 2% of NPR's budget that comes from the Federal Government were eliminated-- If only to have some people stop whining about it.
Yeah, I am all about the consistency, which you wouldn't find hard to believe if you held the same value.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:47 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:

Since when do Beck and Limbaugh actually use racial slurs? Never.
"What happened to the Duke lacrosse team was practically a lynching without the rope. And for the first time in my life, Mr. Oreo Cookie without the chocolate on the outside can understand why people celebrated when O.J. Simpson was acquitted." -- Glenn Beck, January 15, 2007 (Link)

"Look, let me put it to you this way: the NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There, I said it." -- Rush Limbaugh, January 19, 2007 (though indirect, the racial slur is obvious to honest readers/listeners) (Link)

There are more, but they're unnecessary to prove the "never" contention false.
Quote:

Furthermore, since liberals seem to be so righteous about political correctness, they should also be consistent (but they aren't, which is typical of hypocrites).
Nice.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:52 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Although many definitions of Gringo state that it is a derogatory term, as a Gringa who used to live in Mexico, I can provide anecdotal evidence that I never heard it used derogatorily. Obviously my personal experience doesn't make it universally true, but it may lend some degree of credence to the notion that it was not intended as a slur by the author.

That said, a professional writer should take better care to frame her argument in a way that cannot be perceived as derogatory to her readers, and on that front, Ms. Hernandez failed miserably.

Her response to learning that the shooter was not Hispanic/Latino, however, is human and natural. And she's probably right in speculating that the crux of the national debate would have been directed towards anger at the Latino community had the shooter been a Garcia or a Sanchez. But there were much, much better ways to have gotten her point across.

I empathize with her sentiments but I condemn her choice of language.
I think you hit this right on the head, and I understand her sentiments, if not her choice of words. If the shooter would have been Hispanic/Latino, this would have erupted into much more than it has already, given the racial/cultural tensions in Arizona between those groups at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies