Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 03:22 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times

Advertisements

In my experiences gay white men are very racist to anyone who is not pale. There is social stratification in the gay community: it is not pervasive but it is noticeable in certain groups or organizations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 03:43 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Name any ethnic community where homosexuality has popular support. Hispanic? Asian? Armenian? But for some reason, the black folks have caught the brunt of the criticism. Something about that doesn't make any sense. Maybe someone can explain it to me.
According to the CNN Exit Polls, blacks were much more supportive of Prop. 8 than Asians, Latinos, or whites.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:06 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
In my experiences gay white men are very racist to anyone who is not pale. There is social stratification in the gay community: it is not pervasive but it is noticeable in certain groups or organizations.
I've seen this from both sides black and white and it disgusts me and turns me off. Both black and white gays can be very cliquish and try to make their own friends feel guilty for liking guys outside of their race. Personally for me I'm very leary of people who only want someone who looks or acts like them. This equates to me a very closeminded and unevolved type person. Sorry to be so judgmental but these are the impressions I get from this type of mindset.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:14 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,451,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
According to the CNN Exit Polls, blacks were much more supportive of Prop. 8 than Asians, Latinos, or whites.
That's not quite what they asked.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:18 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Yea, but given the paucity of the black vote (we vote in TERRIBLE numbers), i still don't see that as being a difference maker. Even in a year that Obama was running, our voting percentages were still pretty pathetic overall.

Of course, i'd have to know the percentage of black voters (vs black eligible voters) in California to get a clearer picture.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:49 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Much has been made about the black vote in regards to the Prop 8 controversy. Something tells me that it's overblown.

Name any ethnic community where homosexuality has popular support. Hispanic? Asian? Armenian? But for some reason, the black folks have caught the brunt of the criticism. Something about that doesn't make any sense. Maybe someone can explain it to me.
But I think that the thing is that while there are many white homophobes, there are equally as many white folks that are for equality. In the black community, it seems that the majority of blacks aren't for equality for gays. Yes, there are some, but it seems that those against gay rights outweigh those for it.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:21 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,451,439 times
Why does a vote for Prop. 8 automatically mean homophobia? The percentage of secular blacks is much lower than the percentage of secular whites or Asians so it should not be surprising that a higher percentage of blacks voted for Prop. 8 than those other groups. Most of my family would've voted for it if they could. I can assure you that they don't hate gays or lesbians. Their philosophy is hate the "sin" not the "sinner".

It would be interesting to see how the different religious groups voted.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:27 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Why does a vote for Prop. 8 automatically mean homophobia?
It doesn't automatically mean homophobia, but there is definitely a correlation.

Quote:
I can assure you that they don't hate gays or lesbians. Their philosophy is hate the "sin" not the "sinner".
Sexual orientation is a part of who we are. You can't separate it from sexual acts unless you believe that homosexuals should be celibate in order to be accepted.

Quote:
Here's the CNN exit polls for you:

Local Exit Polls - Election Center 2008 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

Old 01-17-2011, 07:40 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Why does a vote for Prop. 8 automatically mean homophobia? The percentage of secular blacks is much lower than the percentage of secular whites or Asians so it should not be surprising that a higher percentage of blacks voted for Prop. 8 than those other groups. Most of my family would've voted for it if they could. I can assure you that they don't hate gays or lesbians. Their philosophy is hate the "sin" not the "sinner".

Well the fact that they even think homosexuality is a sin in the first place is telling. You cannot seperate the two so therefore you hate the person as much as the sin.

That's like saying, I don't hate Muslims, but I hate their religion. But even that is not a perfect example since you cal always change your religious preference, not your sexual orientation...

Old 01-17-2011, 09:06 PM

223 posts, read 615,951 times
There's definitely prejudice and even racism in the gay community - even in a cosmopolitan city like New York. It's still a bit of a shock for me. Of course I know that many people are guided by prejudices & stereotypes, but I am just surprised by the prevalence of it within the gay white community. I guess I assumed that a community that tends to be highly educated, cultured and the recipient of prejudice themselves would be more open-minded.

And as MrSykes mentioned, it is always denied or claimed to be "just a preference" but I don't buy it. Maybe it's subconscious but there is no doubt in my mind that the majority of these "preferences" are based on more than instincts. Races don't look that different from each other that you can't find not one Asian, Black, or White guy out of billions attractive. Please. Maybe if Asians had an extra pair of lips on their foreheads or Blacks had horns growing out their necks, I’d believe the “preference” spiel . Mind you, Black gay men have their prejudices too but I believe it's more reactionary to what they face from gay White men.

And on the other side of the coin, there are those who use the same prejudices & stereotypes to fetisize guys. Personally, the whole dominant Black “beast” against the submissive White guy scenario is getting soooo old. Hey guys, I'm more than the color of my skin and more than a certain part of my body .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies