Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 02:35 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times

Advertisements

Forcing poor people to buy health insurance that can't afford it isn't a good solution.

The indigent poor already have Medicaid. For low income people, the costs will be made affordableand that's better than going without insurance.

I'm not sure it was really needed. Who doesn't have insurance? Was there really 40 million uninsured? Of those without insurance--it isn't the children. Most states cover kids already.

This is ludicrous! It's been needed for DECADES! Just because YOU have never been unemployed or worked for an employer who didn't offer health insurance, doesn't mean there is no one who needs it.

Our current healthcare system is a total mess - wasteful--and why should a clerk at a huge, greedy health insurance company decided whether or not someone can get treatment? The health insurance companies in this country are like the evil banks with their greed and lack of concern for people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 02:40 PM

why does obama have to keep campaigning for it?

Probably because of right wing extremist talk radio brainwashing its listeners. That's where you get your information, isn't it? Or maybe it comes from faux news.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:45 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
why does obama have to keep campaigning for it? It seems every time I turn around he's trying to convince us it's a good thing. You and I both know it was a hugely partisan bill. Even many of the dems that did vote for it caught a huge backlash from their constituents.
A lot of lies to counteract. It seems to be gradually getting thru the BS machine but still has a ways to go. I am listening to FOX lie about it right now. Just look at some of the posts above. "Forcing poor people to buy insurance" for example. It doesn't.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:50 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
why does obama have to keep campaigning for it?

Probably because of right wing extremist talk radio brainwashing its listeners. That's where you get your information, isn't it? Or maybe it comes from faux news.
Please, share with us where you get your information?

Old 01-17-2011, 02:56 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,981,438 times
Forcing every citizen to buy anything is unconstitutional.

People will say well, you have to buy car insurance.

The problem with that argument is that no one says you must own a car. There are other forms of transportation. And in fact, there ARE people who don't own cars because they cannot afford the insurance.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:57 PM

Please, share with us where you get your information?

From years/decades really, of reading and listening to both sides. Also I live in Massachusetts which DOES provide health insurance for all. It works great. The federal law will be modeled after the Massachusetts law.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:01 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post

People will say well, you have to buy car insurance.

The problem with that argument is that no one says you must own a car. There are other forms of transportation. And in fact, there ARE people who don't own cars because they cannot afford the insurance.
Plus there's no law that allows the federal government force you to buy car insurance.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:01 PM

I haven't seen that in the Constitution but I do believe we are promised, LIFE, LIBERTY and the pursuit of HAPPINESS. To me, and this is just my own thinking -- if you don't have access to medical care you just may not have access to LIFE.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:03 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
From an out of country perspective it seems like no one likes this effort from Obama to give every one affordable health care,i presume it has some flaws but for 40 million uninsured Americans isnt it better than nothing?.
And for the people who do think this healthcare package is better than what they have now where are the protests against those who are about to repeal that healthcare package?Where are the pro Obamacare advocates?
Does no one think Obamacare is worth fighting to keep?
Seems from my Canadian perspective that this effort at healthcare for every one is just going to be voted out of existence and no one cares
Well Obamacare doesn't effect my healthcare plan, since its a private plan. Might make it go up a few dollars, might make it go down a few dollars, but I can live without an extra playstation game or two this year.

I think its better on some things, and I think it was wrong on others. The 1099 part, for instance, hurts some small businesses, not a good thing. However, I can now keep my son on my health insurance plan for another 19 years now, which is great.

I also can't be denied coverage for a pre-existing condition, another good thing.

Lots of good things in that bill, which is also another reason why it won't be repealed. Fixed, well to the extent Washington can do that, yes, repeal, no.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:05 PM

8,628 posts, read 9,133,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Forcing poor people to buy health insurance that can't afford it isn't a good solution.
Not everyone is poor who does not have insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies