Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 08:52 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,856 times

Advertisements

With that bloke who shot all those people seemingly mentally iIl I wondered if many Americans were now in favour of would be firearm owners having to take a test, background check, check that your wife/husband is happy for you to have a firearm in the house.
With us it is not the Crims we worry about but the mentally ill.

Or, do you prefer the mentally ill to keep their second amendment rights ?
No matter the risk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 08:57 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
Why would my wife or girlfriend need to be "happy" with me having a gun in the house? I can see why it might apply if I had kids, but I don't.. and the gun would be there to protect them.

We already do have to do background checks unless we are doing a private sale.

I'm in favor of leaving the gun laws the same. Even though the guy was mentally unstable he did buy it legally. I'm not going to blame anyone other than him, but someone should have stepped in at any of the numerous times he showed signs of being disturbed.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:16 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
With that bloke who shot all those people seemingly mentally iIl I wondered if many Americans were now in favour of would be firearm owners having to take a test, background check, check that your wife/husband is happy for you to have a firearm in the house.

No matter the risk
It is illegal for the mentally ill to possess firearms.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:17 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Registration leads to confiscation in every country its been used. No, no national firearms registry, period.

Tyrants and criminals prefer their victims unarmed. Natural rights do not require a license.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:25 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,709 times
Quote:

No matter the risk
Impressive...I doubt you could have come up with a more biased group of options had you tried.

No one has expressed a desire that the mentally ill possess firearms.

How are the preferences of a husband or wife any business of government? Individuals are responsible for maintaining harmony in their households.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:27 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
#1 - The shooter was not mentally ill. He overused the drug salvia along with pot. He did not have a history of mental illness.

I posted three articles in the True Crime forum.

Salvia and Tucson

#2 - Our problem is not a 2nd Amendment problem. It is a law enforcement problem - in that this should be the prime case for the swift administering of the death penalty - so that the punishment is associated with the pain of the crime. Ditto with the Fort Hood shooter.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:29 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
Quote:

No matter the risk
I originally read this and thought you were a Brit, until I saw your screen name; I shall, therefore assume you are Kiwi.

You realize, of course, one of the greatest mass murders, was committed by an Australian, with mental issues?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Ar...cre_(Australia)

And registering firearms would do what, exactly? Exactly what? Except to make you feel better? What would registering firearms do, for ANYONE, except the government to know whom has a gun? THAT is going to stop someone from walking into their local mall and shooting it up?

Wake up and smell the coffee. All these laws do is make people "feel good" about themselves. They do NOTHING to stop firearm violence. There are more laws in the United States, especially California, regarding firearms; yet the killings continue.

People will kill. People will do bad things. Its life and deal with it. You cannot sit there dreaming of fluffy clouds and rainbows. That is not life. Life is nasty, dirty, and full of blood, violence, and killing.

The problem with people, is they do not want to accept this fact and whine, complain, and fall on the floor, when violence happens around them. People are violent; has been that way since the dawn of time. Live with it and move on...

Old 01-17-2011, 09:33 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Registration leads to confiscation in every country its been used. No, no national firearms registry, period.

Tyrants and criminals prefer their victims unarmed. Natural rights do not require a license.
Guns should be registered and there should be a longer screening period.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:37 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,903 times
The US has over 20,000 gun laws on the books currently including Federal laws banning firearms ownership for anyone with a mental history or criminal record. Many foreigners have the incorrect impression that anyone can just walk into a gun store and purchase anything we want to. This is absolutely false.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:37 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Guns should be registered and there should be a longer screening period.
For what purpose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies