Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 07:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
It is censorship when one asks another to not speak what is on their mind.
And no matter how hard you try and how much you want to argue you will not change the fact that it was tasteless and tacky to treat a memorial as a pep rally. But that is what is expected in a college, liberal environment, the environment where everything is ok and acceptable.
Once again, I must disagree that it was tasteless and tacky. I think even Miss Manners would say to do what felt right. They were acknowldedgin some people who did some good things, as well as memorializing those who died, and wishing Gabrielle Giffords a speedy recovery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 07:46 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,087,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Care to comment on this article that contains the opinions of people who were actually there in person on what they thought of the cheering?

Mourning turns to cheers at Ariz. rally - Meredith Shiner - POLITICO.com

Interesting statement that most were not aware of:

— the event was never billed specifically as a memorial event but rather “Together We Thrive: Tucson and America” —

So now we have the source of the confusion, it was a political event and the public thought it was a memorial service for the dead and wounded. Rather takes us back to "Never let a good crisis go to waste".

Old 01-18-2011, 08:05 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Interesting statement that most were not aware of:

— the event was never billed specifically as a memorial event but rather “Together We Thrive: Tucson and America” —

So now we have the source of the confusion, it was a political event and the public thought it was a memorial service for the dead and wounded. Rather takes us back to "Never let a good crisis go to waste".
Nice job of cherry picking one sentence out of an article to twist out of context to suit your own agenda. I doubt you'll find even one person in all of Tucson who thought they were at a political event.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:22 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,807 times
Quote:
It was tasteless and tacky....and this silence that are now touting is the same thing as censorship and THAT is wrong. Tnat pep rally that we all saw was out of place and wrong and a large part of what is wrong in this country is that people want to embrace everyone and everything and not offend or hurt. Not everything is ok and not everything is acceptable.
Dramatic much? "touting silence" is absolutely NOT censorship. Censorship is an authority which FORCES your silence; not someone suggesting you might want to rethink your position.

As for what's wrong with this country is that "people want to embrace everyone and everything and not offend or hurt".......actually, that sounds like a very worthy goal. The duality of rigid "right" and "wrong" is often the source of enormous pain.....especially in situations like the memorial service.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:24 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
No it isn't the same thing as censorship. EmeraldMaiden is talking about having the common sense, good taste and proper manners to not criticize the way a community chose to begin their healing process. As I said in an earlier post: The community planned and got a much needed celebration of life, unity and hope and of honoring those who were killed and injured and the heroes of that awful day. Their community. Their pain. Their right to decide what is appropriate and what isn't.

You're right about one thing, though: "Not everything is okay" and your attitude regarding the Tucson memorial is a perfect case in point.
Thank you, that is exactly what I am talking about. You don't tell a grieving person what a creep their lost loved one was, even if it's true. You don't criticize the choice of flowers at a funeral or a wedding - at least not to the people involved in it.

I, for one, am tired of watching people in this thread deliberately trying to make Tucson's rally something it was not, and trying to make those of us who found it healing feel as though we've done something wrong. We haven't.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Nice job of cherry picking one sentence out of an article to twist out of context to suit your own agenda. I doubt you'll find even one person in all of Tucson who thought they were at a political event.
So correct. "cherry picking...twist out of context"

Old 01-18-2011, 08:27 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Dramatic much? "touting silence" is absolutely NOT censorship. Censorship is an authority which FORCES your silence; not someone suggesting you might want to rethink your position.

As for what's wrong with this country is that "people want to embrace everyone and everything and not offend or hurt".......actually, that sounds like a very worthy goal. The duality of rigid "right" and "wrong" is often the source of enormous pain.....especially in situations like the memorial service.
Not dramatic, just not interested in the everything is ok and acceptable. And no it is not a worthy and to suggest such is such a diservice to society. What we saw was not a memorial service it was political grandstanding at its worst.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Not dramatic, just not interested in the everything is ok and acceptable. And no it is not a worthy and to suggest such is such a diservice to society. What we saw was not a memorial service it was political grandstanding at its worst.
And, of course, you're welcome to your OPINION however unpopular it may be.

Actully, I can make just as "difinitive" a statement as the way you expressed your opinion, yet it still remains my opinion: The memorial service we saw was unique and not only very appropriate to the occasion but emotionally satisfying and enormously healing. Great tribute to the heroes as well as those who lost their lives. We celebrate the lives of those who were lost and applaud the survivors.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:44 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
And, of course, you're welcome to your OPINION however unpopular it may be.

Actully, I can make just as "difinitive" a statement as the way you expressed your opinion, yet it still remains my opinion: The memorial service we saw was unique and not only very appropriate to the occasion but emotionally satisfying and enormously healing. Great tribute to the heroes as well as those who lost their lives. We celebrate the lives of those who were lost and applaud the survivors.
Many share my opinion.....

There is no reverance at a political pep rally.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Many share my opinion.....

There is no reverance at a political pep rally.
And there was no "political pep rally" at any memorial I saw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies