U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:34 AM

8,287 posts, read 11,834,959 times

Advertisements

Lindsey? do you know what we Floridians say about God? Thank God for I-95 since it is the quickest way out of the South!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 09:36 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,827,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
His speach was emphesizing that all people, regardless of race, are his brothers and sisters in Christ. It was an inclusionary statement on MLK day. Only the liberal media (non-Christians for the most part) would take it and bend it into something negative sounding. What he said was true. He also went on to say that he wanted to be brothers and sisters with those who did not know Christ. It was a very nice race-inclusinve speech but some people can see the negative in anything.
No it wasn't.
I quoted it above.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:39 AM

15,008 posts, read 31,383,615 times
Westwaswon,
I don't believe 84% of Alabamians are Christian, at least not where I live. They may say they are on a survey just because they feel it's the "right answer", but many of these people never go to church.

There is a younger person/older person divide in Alabama regarding religion, and I think in the coming decades Alabama will be a less religious state, whether Dr. Bentley likes it or not. Drive by any church on a Sunday morning and you'll see mostly older folks, the younger people are at home in bed, at work, or doing other things.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:43 AM

6,967 posts, read 5,421,403 times
Quote:
His speach was emphesizing that all people, regardless of race, are his brothers and sisters in Christ. It was an inclusionary statement on MLK day. Only the liberal media (non-Christians for the most part) would take it and bend it into something negative sounding. What he said was true. He also went on to say that he wanted to be brothers and sisters with those who did not know Christ. It was a very nice race-inclusinve speech but some people can see the negative in anything.
His speech stopped just short of asking people to accept Christ as their savior. It is totally inappropriate for the governor of any state to proselytize when he/she is acting in an official capacity.

Quote:
"There may be some people here today who do not have living within them the Holy Spirit," Bentley said. ''But if you have been adopted in God's family like I have, and like you have if you're a Christian and if you're saved, and the Holy Spirit lives within you just like the Holy Spirit lives within me, then you know what that makes? It makes you and me brothers. And it makes you and me brother and sister."

Bentley stopped just short of calling for non-Christians to accept Jesus Christ.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:43 AM

15,008 posts, read 31,383,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Lindsey? do you know what we Floridians say about God? Thank God for I-95 since it is the quickest way out of the South!
Florida is just as religious as Alabama as far as I can tell, the only exception being the major urban areas (except Jax).

Old 01-19-2011, 09:45 AM

3,191 posts, read 4,135,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I've heard it said before that the best thing that came out of the South was a northbound yankee!

Old 01-19-2011, 09:46 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,313,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
His speech stopped just short of asking people to accept Christ as their savior. It is totally inappropriate for the governor of any state to proselytize when he/she is acting in an official capacity.
Maybe Bama should lay down the law: either convert to christianity or be prepared to suffer the consequences.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:49 AM

6,967 posts, read 5,421,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Maybe Bama should lay down the law: either convert to christianity or be prepared to suffer the consequences.
Many in that state probably would, if they could, but they can't.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:54 AM

9,857 posts, read 7,027,687 times
Politicians may have a faith in God, may even thank God, but why be abrasive in the name of God?

Old 01-19-2011, 09:57 AM

10,736 posts, read 31,789,636 times
Quote:
Blinders on much??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or