Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 04:35 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Yes, separation of church and state should be rigidly maintained, in spite of what some of my brothers think. If my Evangelical Republican friends ever get their way and impose a so-called Christian government on the rest of the nation, just stand aside and watch as they fight over whose brand of Christianity gets to run the place. That oughta be interesting!

However, that doesn't mean all public officials or candidates should hide their faith in the interest of unity, nor that they should be precluded from serving because their faith will inform their decisions. That would be going too far the other way. While the Constitution specifically forbids a religious test for office, it seems logical to me that we would no more want a lack of religion as a test for office.

In the end, it simply boils down to good manners and tolerance, both of which seem to be in short supply these days on both sides of the aisle.

And, I did try to look it up but can't find it, at least not yet.
Link at OP. Here's another: Governor: Only Christians are my brothers - War Room - Salon.com
''But if you have been adopted in God's family like I have, and like you have if you're a Christian and if you're saved, and the Holy Spirit lives within you just like the Holy Spirit lives within me, then you know what that makes? It makes you and me brothers. And it makes you and me brother and sister."

Bentley added, ''Now I will have to say that, if we don't have the same daddy, we're not brothers and sisters. So anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother."

Do you really see people from the left coming up with this religious drivel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 05:10 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,528,866 times
I don't agree with him. I don't think he should have that outlook and be in public office. I'm glad he spoke honestly about how he feels about certain people. Now those people know that they are cast aside by their government. They deserve to know. We need more politicians to tell the truth.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:23 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Link at OP. Here's another: Governor: Only Christians are my brothers - War Room - Salon.com
''But if you have been adopted in God's family like I have, and like you have if you're a Christian and if you're saved, and the Holy Spirit lives within you just like the Holy Spirit lives within me, then you know what that makes? It makes you and me brothers. And it makes you and me brother and sister."

Bentley added, ''Now I will have to say that, if we don't have the same daddy, we're not brothers and sisters. So anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother."

Do you really see people from the left coming up with this religious drivel?
First of all, I categorically reject the notion that a person's faith is defined by his politics. Faith in Jesus Christ means just that...faith in Jesus Christ, and whatever party or ideology one subscribes to has nothing at all to do with that. Frankly, I'm sick of those who suppose that a "good" Christian can't possibly be "leftist," or that a leftist is a "bad" Christian, or that a "conservative" is a proper Christian. Jesus doesn't belong to any political party, and when someone tries to draft Him into theirs, they'll meet me in opposition.

You may cling to such false notions if you wish, but don't expect me to validate them for you by arguing the point.

Secondly, and based upon my first comment, the Governor's remarks isn't a left/right, either/or, Christian/heathern issue. He can legitimately be taken to task for the intemperance of his comments (if that's what he actually meant to say in context), but don't make any more of it than that.

To treat it as anything more than the comments of one man, without any evidence that such feelings dictate his official actions as Governor, does nothing but feed the divide and hate. You should be ashamed of yourself for trying to do that.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:26 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,127,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
There should be no religion in government. If he gave this speech as part of his official duties as governor, he should have kept Jesus out of it. If he keeps this up, the good people of Alabama should initiate a recall action.
Nah.

He can SAY whatever he likes, however stupid and inappropriate.

But as soon as he tries to inject religion into an executive order or policy, he's going to get thumped by the courts.

Even in Alabama.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:43 AM

Quote:
First of all, I categorically reject the notion that a person's faith is defined by his politics. Faith in Jesus Christ means just that...faith in Jesus Christ, and whatever party or ideology one subscribes to has nothing at all to do with that. Frankly, I'm sick of those who suppose that a "good" Christian can't possibly be "leftist," or that a leftist is a "bad" Christian, or that a "conservative" is a proper Christian. Jesus doesn't belong to any political party, and when someone tries to draft Him into theirs, they'll meet me in opposition.

You may cling to such false notions if you wish, but don't expect me to validate them for you by arguing the point.

Secondly, and based upon my first comment, the Governor's remarks isn't a left/right, either/or, Christian/heathern issue. He can legitimately be taken to task for the intemperance of his comments (if that's what he actually meant to say in context), but don't make any more of it than that.

To treat it as anything more than the comments of one man, without any evidence that such feelings dictate his official actions as Governor, does nothing but feed the divide and hate. You should be ashamed of yourself for trying to do that.
My statement was that I've never heard a democrat/liberal make speeches like the one that this moron made.
He's divisive.
Can you direct me to some links where those on the other side of the political spectrum have made such boneheaded comments?

I'm not ashamed at all, I asked a question... you didn't answer, but went off on a tangent.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:48 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
So long as he treats all the people of his state legally equal there is no problem with his being openly Christian. If he equates being Christian with citizenship I think all non Christians in Alabama will soo be having difficult times.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:49 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
My statement was that I've never heard a democrat/liberal make speeches like the one that this moron made.
He's divisive.
Can you direct me to some links where those on the other side of the political spectrum have made such boneheaded comments?

I'm not ashamed at all, I asked a question... you didn't answer, but went off on a tangent.
And, I'm not going to answer it because the underlying assumption is that there must not be very many ardent Christian's on the left or in the Democratic Party, that it's only those trogolodyte Republican Christian's who would dare have any measure of faith at all, let along speak about it. That's a falsehood I won't dignify by responding to.

You can do your own research to valid your prejudices and misperceptions.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:11 AM

Quote:
And, I'm not going to answer it because the underlying assumption is that there must not be very many ardent Christian's on the left or in the Democratic Party, that it's only those trogolodyte Republican Christian's who would dare have any measure of faith at all, let along speak about it. That's a falsehood I won't dignify by responding to.

You can do your own research to valid your prejudices and misperceptions.

Tried, couldn't find any self-asserted Dems/liberals making such absurd statements. However, I did find many on the self-professed "conservative" side.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:16 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
"Speaking on Martin Luther King Jr. Day in the very church where Dr. King once pastored, new Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley gave a speech in which he said that those who have not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior are not his 'brothers.'"

"'Now I will have to say that, if we don't have the same daddy, we're not brothers and sisters,' he said. 'So anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister'"

New Alabama Governor: Only Christians Are My Brothers And Sisters | TPMMuckraker

What a great message to the non-Christians who live in Alabama.
What do you expect?

It's Alabama!

Not the most open-minded people on the planet but they've got some great courses on the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:27 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
"Speaking on Martin Luther King Jr. Day in the very church where Dr. King once pastored, new Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley gave a speech in which he said that those who have not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior are not his 'brothers.'"

"'Now I will have to say that, if we don't have the same daddy, we're not brothers and sisters,' he said. 'So anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister'"

New Alabama Governor: Only Christians Are My Brothers And Sisters | TPMMuckraker

What a great message to the non-Christians who live in Alabama.
He's right. 2 people with different parents are not brothers and sisters. Why exactly does that upset you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies