Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 01:33 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,059,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I agree.

They sell to the entire world,the USA is important but China isn't dumb,it can see that other markets will have to pick up the slack....One thing China has that we don't is leadership concerned with the nation,not getting elected.

Again,this is short sighted,the EU has over 500 million people.

I don't see the USA doing that,actually I don't see how the USA can back off.
We are dealing with a hypothetical situation. China can't build an alternative market quickly enough. If it could it wouldn't be floating our debt.

The EU could have a billion people. What matters is what they buy and they don't buy as much as Americans. Runaway American consumerism is our worst enemy but a boon to most of the world... except of course those we step on.

I agree it's unlikely the US will back off since no other fallen empire has. As to how: It's quite easy. 1) Quit the wars. 2) Quit tossing money out the window. 3) Get a handle on the massive trade imbalance.
You and I both know it's not going to happen but technically it would be rather easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 01:37 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,838,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
We are dealing with a hypothetical situation. China can't build an alternative market quickly enough. If it could it wouldn't be floating our debt.
China is getting rid of the debt owed to it by the USA pretty quick...and is expanding markets all over the world.

Quote:
The EU could have a billion people. What matters is what they buy and they don't buy as much as Americans. Runaway American consumerism is our worst enemy but a boon to most of the world... except of course those we step on.
And we are running out(well ran out really) of credit to keep spending...

Quote:
I agree it's unlikely the US will back off since no other fallen empire has. As to how: It's quite easy. 1) Quit the wars. 2) Quit tossing money out the window. 3) Get a handle on the massive trade imbalance.
You and I both know it's not going to happen but technically it would be rather easy.
Nope,it won't happen.
I just wonder what WILL happen when the dealer cuts off our supply of heroin?

Old 01-20-2011, 10:48 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,394,795 times
No doubt the US is on the decline. It will continue to decline unless some DRASTIC changes are made. The number one reason why we will continue to decline is the disappearing of jobs and with that comes the shrinking middle class. A country that consists of mostly "have-nots" with maybe 10% "haves" cannot be a super-power. At the rate jobs are being outsourced that is what we will have eventually. A country that doesn't manufacture anything will have a tough time remaining on top as well. The second area leading us to decline is education. America as a nation DOES NOT value education. I do not have a college degree and regret it deeply. Here in the US we send our kids off to school for about 7 hours and we expect them to just learn. The problem is that learning is not encouraged in the home. Kids come home and go online or grab the X-Box. I have a sister that is a teacher she is constantly telling me how parents just don't encourage their children enough in the learning process. Learning must never stop. Life is a learning process. Learning isn't just for the classroom and must be encouraged in the home. When my sister lived in DC, when the weather was nice, on Friday and Saturday nights when American kids were out at the bars and partying, foreign kids were sitting out on benches studying. Hmm...is it surprising foreign kids end up making more money and are more successful? In the world we rank 14th in reading, 17th in science, 25th in math, can we expect to stay on top with those academic scores? As Americans we're more caught up in our external selves. We work work work so we can accumulate the big 401K, work work work so we can buy the big house, work work work work so we can have the new SUV in our drive-way. We work we consume. As a whole we are obsessed with material goods. This material obsession and greed has already started to catch up with us and is helping to bring us down. We don't work on our innselves. We don't work on actually becoming better as a person. We are over-worked which takes away time spent helping kids with homework or improving yourself as a person. All of this has an affect. I know some moron will respond with a comment like;"move to Europe if you don't like it here." Hey, it is what it is

Old 01-20-2011, 11:06 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,070,791 times
Okay...so obviously some of you think that all of us "Americans" (as if that's a monolithic group) are a "rah-rah-we're-number-one" type who have all enjoyed our position at the top and are wondering what will happen now that's it all going to come crashing down?

Many of us do not come from wealth or privilege. Many of us do not enjoy a place "at the top" of any strata of society and never will regardless of being American. Many of us live our day to day lives, trying to work and pay the bills and enjoy whatever there is to enjoy in life-you know, probably similar to other people in other countries.

Yes, the U.S is declining. Of course things will change, especially economically and militarilly. That's all up to speculation at this point I think, and they are changes that will be gradual and continuous and far-reaching. These changes are happening all over the world and not just in the U.S.

I think the bigger question is: will there big a next big one superpower, or a larger body of power similar to the U.N?

Old 01-20-2011, 11:11 AM

Being from somewhere else,perhaps it is easier to see that which Americans cannot...

There IS a sense of entitlement to being No.1...as if it is a birthright.
And most Americans live a life of ease compared to the rest of the world.

China is getting ready to pass the USA in the next few years,it will be interesting to see how Americans as a people will take no longer having their nation(and themselves) being put first.

I doubt the UN will do anything as far as a power play,it is a useless organisation whose purpose is to make insignificant nations feel better...

Old 01-20-2011, 02:15 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,253,575 times
The irony is that many progressives, such as lead cultist in NASA's church of climate change, Dr. Hansen, actually like the dictatorial style that China exhibits. Now, he doesn't like the much more fluid free market system China has (like most anti-free market progressives), just the way the government can implement policy much more, shall we say, "efficiently"? Chinese justice is swift and gets the job done. It's legislative branch is equally swift in implementing policy.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:19 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,587,187 times
Coming from a nation that has never been one of the 'players',it matters little to me.

and living in this great Country????

there you go...I rest my case...another America hater...

Old 01-20-2011, 02:30 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,825,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
It is pretty easy to get out of wars,one way is to not keep sending more troops.

Also,if you aren't in favor of more wars,it doesn't make sense to bomb other nations.

Borrowing more money and increasing spending aren't the best ways to reduce debt.
I don't think too many people would like to see us "cut and run" from the Iraq or Afghan messes. Getting out responsibly is vital to all involved.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:36 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,253,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
Coming from a nation that has never been one of the 'players',it matters little to me.

I love this country and agree wholeheartedly with oz. But, that's just me.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post

LOL....YES!!!!

That must be it...daring to think the USA won't last 1000 years like the 3rd Reich....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies