Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:52 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Yep. The silence is deafening.
As it should be here. Abortion is a private issue between the parents and their conscience. If they can willingly snuff out the life of a human being, them let them live with the consequences for their entire life. Believe me, it isn't very easy, and some people regret the day they have the abortion, and wish they could go back in time and keep that baby. Those who don't, well their actions speak for themselves.

No government should command a person to do this, or not to do this, as it is a private and personal issue betwen the parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 02:56 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The fetus is still the same.
So you aren't having a baby,you are really just carrying a fetus around....

Old 01-19-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
yeah right lets see where do I sell a baby heart that isn't fully formed to be transplanted into a baby that needs one? lots of doctors in good standing would stand in line to buy and transplant baby organs not fully formed. parents too are looking can we find them on craig's list?
24 weeks is viable.
This person was aborting babies at 30 weeks I do believe.

He was also killing them AFTER they were born.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:58 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
By the way, do y'all know that criminalizing abortion hasn't been a part of our law but since the late 19th century? Before that, it was virtually unregulated at all.

In fact, even under Common Law, which is the basis for our judicial system, there was very little precedent for the criminalizing of abortions, even after "quickening" had occurred. "Quickening" is a term which was once in wide use which meant when the fetus begins moving inside the womb. The commonly accepted understanding was that a fetus was not afforded the status of human being until it began to move, and that the Mother was free to do anything she liked with it. Over time, that has been lengthened to the understanding of viability outside the womb.

But, under the Roe v. Wade ruling, the Court ruled that while the state, at some point, DOES have a compelling interest in protecting the "person" within, the whole thing turns upon at just what point. Specifically in that case, the Court ruled that the Texas Statute in question was too broad and interfered with the Mother's 14th Amendment rights.

By ruling thusly, the Court left open the possibility that a re-definition of when a fetus becomes a person would necessarily re-define a woman's right to privacy.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Oh I see how it is. You don't want statistics, you want to make up figures based on crimes that could be happening somewhere. Well then, I guess all crime stats should just be ignored so our imaginations can lead us.
If you polled people asking if they had committed a felony,do you really think you will get correct figures?

And yes,I know EXACTLY where imaginations can lead us....to the decision legalising abortion.
Based on no facts at all....

Old 01-19-2011, 03:00 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
Not quite:

I want a ice cream cone and have one. It is chocolate and I like it and enjoy it.

You don't want an ice cream cone because it is vanilla but get it anyway. You throw yours away.

It is still an ice cream cone. It just happens to be in the garbage now.

Try again.
Why?

Because you don't like my answer. That's too bad.

You asked why people use different terminology in different situations. I pointed out the obvious answer, because the situations are different.

This thread isn't about abortion, and I've mounted strenuous defenses for women on other abortion threads. So go to those threads, or stick to the topic here, a horrible doctor who is accused of horrifically victimizing women and murdering babies.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:01 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
This makes me sick.

DA: Pa. abortion doc killed 7 babies with scissors - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110119/ap_on_re_us/us_abortion_clinic_investigation - broken link)
But, but, but.....these women are only exercising their "freedom to chose".

Friggin' animals.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
As it should be here. Abortion is a private issue between the parents and their conscience. If they can willingly snuff out the life of a human being, them let them live with the consequences for their entire life. Believe me, it isn't very easy, and some people regret the day they have the abortion, and wish they could go back in time and keep that baby. Those who don't, well their actions speak for themselves.

No government should command a person to do this, or not to do this, as it is a private and personal issue betwen the parents.
One small point,it is not the choice of the parents,it is solely the choice of the woman.
The man has no legal standing....well except to pay to support the baby if she chooses to keep it.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:02 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
So you aren't having a baby,you are really just carrying a fetus around....
Yes. Scientifically, that's what pregnancy is, carrying a fetus.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:05 PM

Would you support the aborting of the fetus up to the point of birth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies