Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Agree or disagree: The west coast is the least racist part of America.
Agree 123 37.39%
Disagree 206 62.61%
Voters: 329. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 04:18 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,571 times

Advertisements

So it's either go to a place where I'll be marginalized for being black (the West Coast, Midwest, Northeast, or rural/Deep South) or go to a place where I'll be marginalized by my own for not being black enough (the urban Northeast or non-rural South).

Sounds like my Passport will come very handy in the foreseeable future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 05:22 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
No... A lot of the people out west are those that left during the "white flight"... many communities out there are very very white. Esp Pac NW and Intererior West like Utah/Wyoming/Montana/Idaho/Nevada. As far as integration goes... well, a lot of the west was settled later so there aren't as many ethnic enclaves. But look at somewhere like SF.. Hello, Chinatown. As far as race relations goes, one could just look at events like the LA riots, when has a full scale riot like that happened outside the west coast since the 60s? Before that, how about the japanese concentration camps camps that sent over 100k japanese to them throughout california, washington, oregon and fueled extremely strong anti-asian racial sentiment.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:44 PM

82 posts, read 121,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post
So it's either go to a place where I'll be marginalized for being black (the West Coast, Midwest, Northeast, or rural/Deep South) or go to a place where I'll be marginalized by my own for not being black enough (the urban Northeast or non-rural South).

Sounds like my Passport will come very handy in the foreseeable future.

I can tell you that the WestCoast especially the greater Los Angelos area has alot of racial animosity. Think about where the Black Panthers started! Lies Lies and more Lies.........claiming how great for interracial relationships and racial peace the west is. I believe the people who have said this are transplants to California and only grazed the surface of what this place is. In my first 19 years of life , I only EVER met 2 interracial Mexican-Black couples and seen it a total of maybe 6 times or so period. This for 2 groups who live side by side and work-school everything together.

IR relationships in CA are new. they didnt start happening till the 2000s. Mexicans born in America for whatever reason aren't considered to be IR dating or marrying when they marry whites-Filipinos-Armenians. ....but let a black do it! He/She might as well cause a war in the family. The rest of the country isnt like this......bottom line if your seeking peace as a black man dont come here.

There is just too much racial wars/strife/history of white and black violence against each other for this place to heal in a 50 years! Now there is bad blood between Mexicans and blacks as well. So its even worst.

Southern Cali will keep you boxed in......it will try to make it to where your lovers are black-the restaurants-clubs-social events you go to are black and when you step out you will be ostracized-looked at weird and generally made to feel unwelcome.

I figured all of America was like LA. It is not even in the least bit. LA is country of its own, with weird racial politics -rules and boxes for everyone to fit in. Go anywhere but LA for what your seeking.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:45 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicosal13 View Post
I can tell you that the WestCoast especially the greater Los Angelos area has alot of racial animosity. Think about where the Black Panthers started! Lies Lies and more Lies.........claiming how great for interracial relationships and racial peace the west is. I believe the people who have said this are transplants to California and only grazed the surface of what this place is. In my first 19 years of life , I only EVER met 2 interracial Mexican-Black couples and seen it a total of maybe 6 times or so period. This for 2 groups who live side by side and work-school everything together.

IR relationships in CA are new. they didnt start happening till the 2000s. Mexicans born in America for whatever reason aren't considered to be IR dating or marrying when they marry whites-Filipinos-Armenians. ....but let a black do it! He/She might as well cause a war in the family. The rest of the country isnt like this......bottom line if your seeking peace as a black man dont come here.

There is just too much racial wars/strife/history of white and black violence against each other for this place to heal in a 50 years! Now there is bad blood between Mexicans and blacks as well. So its even worst.

Southern Cali will keep you boxed in......it will try to make it to where your lovers are black-the restaurants-clubs-social events you go to are black and when you step out you will be ostracized-looked at weird and generally made to feel unwelcome.

I figured all of America was like LA. It is not even in the least bit. LA is country of its own, with weird racial politics -rules and boxes for everyone to fit in. Go anywhere but LA for what your seeking.
Truth be told, that sounds no different than where I live (the East Coast). Minus the all out ethnic war on blacks, most African Americans are taught where their place is. It's just very covert and coded by obnoxious liberalism - sort of like what you see in San Francisco proper. And over here, it's mainly the liberal whites and Asian females who instill the racism. I tend to find that Asian males and Latinos for the most part mind their own business and generally don't cause strife. However, with the lack of Latinos causing ethnic strife, in their place are other blacks through the mental paradigms of keepin' it real/gangasta/swag, condemning -and in some cases, psychically harming - those who don't follow the "black enough" script. Most recent example is the Rob Parker comment about RGIII. That mentality is rampant out in the East Coast, forcing many otherwise talented and intelligent blacks to dumb themselves down in order to please the black "community".

Where I am, I'm currently boxed in as is, seeing that I refuse to fit into the blackface minstrel image that everyone (whites and blacks) wants me to portray. And for some reason, in the metropolitan area I live in, the segregation and racial strife (albeit more covert) is more noticeable and intense within the city itself and the inner suburbs. Once you get to the outer suburbs and exurbs, race relations along with treatment of blacks become much better, even though ironically, those places tend to be less black than the inner areas.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Truth be told, that sounds no different than where I live (the East Coast). Minus the all out ethnic war on blacks, most African Americans are taught where their place is. It's just very covert and coded by obnoxious liberalism - sort of like what you see in San Francisco proper. And over here, it's mainly the liberal whites and Asian females who instill the racism. I tend to find that Asian males and Latinos for the most part mind their own business and generally don't cause strife. However, with the lack of Latinos causing ethnic strife, in their place are other blacks through the mental paradigms of keepin' it real/gangasta/swag, condemning -and in some cases, psychically harming - those who don't follow the "black enough" script. Most recent example is the Rob Parker comment about RGIII. That mentality is rampant out in the East Coast, forcing many otherwise talented and intelligent blacks to dumb themselves down in order to please the black "community".

Where I am, I'm currently boxed in as is, seeing that I refuse to fit into the blackface minstrel image that everyone (whites and blacks) wants me to portray. And for some reason, in the metropolitan area I live in, the segregation and racial strife (albeit more covert) is more noticeable and intense within the city itself and the inner suburbs. Once you get to the outer suburbs and exurbs, race relations along with treatment of blacks become much better, even though ironically, those places tend to be less black than the inner areas.
Truth be told Latinos and Asians men have the same attitude out here. The reason black gangs/Mexicans fight out here is because their gangs and well....what do you expect? They aren't the most educated of our groups and definetly not the friendliest.

HOWEVER, this gang stuff infects the entire community since most of these races are connected to gangs by family. { Mexican gangs out here are 100+ years old} Alot of crimes were also committed by blacks against Hispanic families living in black neighborhoods, robberies-assaults against immigrants. Still to this day! Obviously that is a Mexicans mother-father who you are doing this to, and we hear about it.

Girls who step out and date out do so at the risk of losing their entire family structure and friends. ESPECIALLY between Mexicans and Blacks. Its changed though since 2000s and what I never saw before I have begun to see now. Its such a gradual thing that attitudes change along with the current.

But the posters who say blah blah blah about interracial dating-marriage in CA are either very conscious of when they do see it and it makes its numbers stand out or they are pumping up the few that do exist to make it seem like this place is tolerant .

The best bet to see how things really are is to listen to the people posting and than look at the raw data. The raw data in California says that interracial relationships here are white-latino. That their are more white-latino marriages here than all the black white relationships in America from coast to coast TIMES 3 !

This mixing is leaving out alot of groups and when you hear about San Diego being open, its true but alot of those relationships are connected to the military and are from people who are originally outside California and even America. You got to understand that San Diego is only 7% Black to begin with and as you pointed out areas with less blacks tend to be more accepting.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
That is logical, but from the 2000s to today, many Hispanics are trying to mimic the Asian/Italian/Irish strategy of hating blacks so they can be seen as "Americans." Sad thing is that I remember Latinos being overall cool people back in the 90s. But the "let's hate the blacks to impress whites" strategy is the brutally sad but honest reason why I personally don't feel any sympathy towards most Hispanics who are facing any prejudice today. Besides, at this rate of anti-black hatred, all Hispanics will be counted as "whites" (along with the Asians) in a matter of a few years, just like the irish and italians were. I'd at least have a bit more respect for them if they equally hated everyone and kept to themselves.
As far as latinos swimming into the assimilation pool......its "others" who are targeting us and not us targeting them. We have high rates of interracial marriage because we unlike ALL other ethnic groups date out/ marry out EQUALLY. Our patterns aren't one sided. When have you every heard as in a general racial discussion a latino man saying latinas generally arent attractive or bitchy or not feminent? { like black men and asian women say about their black/asian ****erparts}

When we date out GENERALLY we do because LOVE HAPPENED, not because we sought to lighten up, marry up or because we found our OWN race of men/women as not good enough! Ive dated out alot and Ive been equally attracted to latinas/asians/whites. NEVER have I said that I am dating out because , whites-asian-blacks were better. It just so happened that person was attractive to me.

THAT IS DEFINETLY NOT , the case for Asian women, who constantly bash Asian men and say they are short, unattractive, treat women like cattle, are mamified and basically the worst **** you could say about your OWN people.

White women who date out do EXACTLY the same thing call white men, pale, feminent, unattractive....than go on to compare other races against their own.

I dont need to discuss blacks....they've been bashing black women on their looks, demeanor and attitudes for decades so much so , that black women complain about it OPENLY and question their own attractiveness and whether NO ONE WANTS THEM.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:56 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times
Five of the 10 most diverse metros in the U.S. are in California:

NationalJournal.com - 3 Calif. Cities Atop Most Diverse Metros List - Wednesday, September 12, 2012

California and the West lead the way in interracial marriages as well:

California, West show surge in interracial marriages, study finds - Los Angeles Times

The anecdotes of racial strife are cute (and could easily be culled from any region) but the FACTS paint a different picture.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:52 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Five of the 10 most diverse metros in the U.S. are in California:

NationalJournal.com - 3 Calif. Cities Atop Most Diverse Metros List - Wednesday, September 12, 2012

California and the West lead the way in interracial marriages as well:

California, West show surge in interracial marriages, study finds - Los Angeles Times

The anecdotes of racial strife are cute (and could easily be culled from any region) but the FACTS paint a different picture.
I don't trust that list..

Dang, if DC and NYC are among the pinnacles of diversity in this country then that's really sad.

Both are extremely segregated by neighborhood and their suburbs aren't much better (if better at all). Of course you get some exceptions but for the vast majority of the times, they are not well-integrated at all.

I think "diversity" is useless when the different populations aren't integrated with each other and self-segregate.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:55 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
NYC is the least racist part of America. It has never had any racial problems.

Go New York!
Yes.

And Rome was built in a day.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:56 PM

20 posts, read 39,137 times
I honestly don't know, I've never been to the west coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies