Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Agree or disagree: The west coast is the least racist part of America.
Agree 123 37.39%
Disagree 206 62.61%
Voters: 329. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 09:02 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post
The mentality of money over race may apply in the South (and at best, the New South states and cities), but let me be clear that my experience applies to the Northeast Corridor from Boston to DC. How many blacks do you see working in lucrative educational and research jobs in Boston? How many blacks do you see in banking and investing positions in NYC? How many blacks do you see working in the well paying industrial jobs in Philadelphia? And how many blacks do you see working in the overpaid lobbying and consulting positions in DC?

And as far as the "blacks run DC and Atlanta" argument, the only kind of blacks who get any advantage are those who play the stereotypical step n' fetch it/retired thug/swaggin ethnic role. And it's hard to say blacks are running any city they're getting gentrified out of, like in DC and Atlanta.

As for denying blacks work opportunity, you can thank the carpetbaggers from the East and Midwest for that. Does anyone care to mention how blacks were more marginalized in SF and LA as the transplant population grew?

Oh wow, Boston, really? So you're going to basically bring down an entire coast based on one city, a known city with racial issues, who is actually pretty proud of it at that. And tons of blacks are making money in DC. I have family from DC who made money, I've made money in DC, a ton of blacks do. And who cares if blacks run a city? I could care less who runs what city, because all that is is government, and there is no money in government. Having worked for the city of Atlanta, and mad about the state of my bank account, I went to the private sector, and haven't been back since.

And as far as blacks who are successful on the East Coast? You have to be trolling. There are blacks successful at every level on the East Coast. And there are a lot of blacks who work in finance in NYC. Like do you even think before you talk, or do you just say the first idiotic thing that pops in your head? When it comes to success and corporate success of blacks on the East Coast, there is no comparison. Blacks out West are just broker, because blacks out West are lazy. I even sometimes have to catch myself being lazy just because of the entire backwards mentality of your coast.

Go to a black person in DC, NYC, Atlanta and he could be a banker, VP, and manager, etc. See a black person Seattle, SF, or LA 99% he's some broke person living in the ghetto. There is no comparison. The funny thing is that West Coasters think they know it all, but I don't see any money in their pockets. So there is clearly a lot you don't know. I'm sorry you came to the East Coast and had a bad experience. I', sorry people out East expected you to work for a living. Most blacks who come to the East, generally get with the program, and start making their money. If you would have told me you were leaving, I would have just told you to stay lazy and mediocre like all blacks on the West Coast are. I mean I don't get the whole mentality of getting handouts from the government, but maybe it's a West Coast thing, so maybe it's not for me to get. Just know, you can't wait for the government to take care of you in the East. So keep that in mind of you ever find yourself East of the Mississippi again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 10:16 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Even though least racist, is not the same as not racist....
I would say that could very well be true.
Spokane, back in the late 80's, elected a black mayor, when the city was not even 2% black at the time.
7 of the 10 top spots for interracial marriages are on the West Coast (or the West anyway).
The most intergrated cities, are towns out West, like Oakland and Tacoma,
plus, there's not a sad history or checkered past of race relations on the West Coast, like there has been in the South or even the Rust Belt and NYC.
I've lived out here for about 13 years (grew up back east though).....you have the weather of the South, without the racism and you have the open minds that you find in the Northeast (even though the NE is not as open minded), but without the cold and snow.....

would prefer to stay out here, but when all the extended family is back east, makes it hard at times.

Glad Rodney King is dead and won't be able to read this, he might feel he got racially profiled!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:23 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times
You know there's like 50 million people on the west coast? It's kind of hard to generalize that much. Some parts are quite open but some not so much. Soo answer is both.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:16 PM

8,487 posts, read 6,891,592 times
Speaking only of California. More racist than the Midwest where I came from. You see a lot of antagonism against Asians, Blacks, Hispanics and even a streak of Anti Semitism. Comes mostly from middle aged to much older Whites who were born here.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I'df ahve top disagree when you look at the hisdtory of gangs in US and that they are mostly racist based. Prison gfor example are most west coastal based and have spread thru out the country.he estern cities have always had neighborrhod based gangs of course bgut they started long ago.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:04 PM

96 posts, read 234,797 times
I've lived in all parts of the US. The least racist area where I have lived is Nashville, Tennessee. Laugh if you want, but it is the solid truth.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:48 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,651 times
Among the general population in Los Angeles and a great part of So. California, for some reason, it was a lot less racist in the 1950's. The police were a different thing. Lot's of people used to say that Chief Parker must have gone to the deepest part of the deep South to find the biggest, meanest rednecks he could find to become LA cops.

Many Jazz musicians found their way to the West Coast because there black and white musicians could play together with much less pressure than in the East and of course in the South it didn't happen at all. Unless you were booked like Red Rodney as Albino Red.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:05 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
Let's be real, the South is the least racist part of the country by far. The perception is that the south is racist, but anyone who has lived here knows it's not even close to being a reality. And people aren't like they are in the West Coast, where they pretend to like each other. People of different races are genuinely friends in the south. Go to Houston, Atlanta, Raleigh, etc, and you'll see what I'm talking about

Old 02-12-2013, 04:40 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Among the general population in Los Angeles and a great part of So. California, for some reason, it was a lot less racist in the 1950's. The police were a different thing. Lot's of people used to say that Chief Parker must have gone to the deepest part of the deep South to find the biggest, meanest rednecks he could find to become LA cops.

Many Jazz musicians found their way to the West Coast because there black and white musicians could play together with much less pressure than in the East and of course in the South it didn't happen at all. Unless you were booked like Red Rodney as Albino Red.
I read and hear stories of how 20th Century California was very racially integrated. Even though there were a few incidents and racial redlining, there were plenty of opportunity for blacks. The schools (K-12) and colleges were integrated, black home ownership was fairly high, blacks had held significant positions (or at the very least, had secure jobs in manufacturing), and intermarriage rates were not uncommon for blacks. Guess all of that racial open-mindedness is being shifted to Nevada and Texas.

Even though I will admit that California as a whole has receded in race relations and that LA and SF proper are the two most racist cities in the West Coast - thanks to the mass of East Coast, Southern and Midwest transplants - I will refuse to name those places as the worst places for blacks...at least for blacks who are willing to be productive and would be considered "cornballs" by the masses of other "swaggin" blacks. Given how the blacks who put swag above tact get praised for it in places like Atlanta, Detroit, and DC, no wonder why they don't like places where their swaggin BS is called out. How about they allow the "cornball brothas" to choose which part of the country suits us better. You have your cities. Let us have ours!

Old 02-12-2013, 04:43 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Let's be real, the South is the least racist part of the country by far. The perception is that the south is racist, but anyone who has lived here knows it's not even close to being a reality. And people aren't like they are in the West Coast, where they pretend to like each other. People of different races are genuinely friends in the south. Go to Houston, Atlanta, Raleigh, etc, and you'll see what I'm talking about
I actually agree.

I never had any problems when I lived in East Texas. By East I mean Bryan/ CS for awhile and Vidor for awhile. Not Houston.

Only time the n-bomb was dropped on me or was told by a woman they don't date black people because it is wrong was in The Midwest and Mid Atlantic.

Though, in Cali I had people take me at face value whereas in the south many people would be standoffish until they knew me better.

But in the south, once someone accepts you it snowballs. You just have to fit in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies