Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 05:22 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,051,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Agreed. This is another one of those Gay Agenda set-ups designed to make poor wittle gay boys and girls the victims of vicious institutional bigotry. In the end all it does is destroy a small business and the good owners' reputation -- hurrah for gay pride!

Meanwhile,gays can freely discriminate against non-gays.
Again, it's perfectly legal in most of the US for a Christian hotel owner to deny a hotel room to a homosexual, but it is always illegal for a homosexual hotel owner to deny a hotel room to a Christian.

How is that fair? Is that not a "special right" given to the Christian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 05:25 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,970,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Again, it's perfectly legal in most of the US for a Christian hotel owner to deny a hotel room to a homosexual, but it is always illegal for a homosexual hotel owner to deny a hotel room to a Christian.
Provide links to back up your subjective opinion. The story you posted came from the UK.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:25 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,304,054 times
Quote:
Does "government money" include police and fire protection? access to the public utility? road service to your business?
No, I mean direct government funding. Everyone pays into the system for fire, police, roads, etc.

While some of my tax money does go to subsidize free healthcare at hospitals, I don't directly benefit from that, the hospital does. As such, they should be required to service everyone.

I'm not trying to come off as a bigot, I'm not. If I had a business, I'd be happy to service anyone that came through my door, unless they looked like they were going to rob me. But I wouldn't discriminate because of sexual preference, ethnicity, religion, etc.

But I also don't want to tell everyone they have to do what I do. This is in essence a real conservative answer. Stupid party that claims to be conservatives stole the name.

I'm a small government guy, the less government, the better.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:27 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,739,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
So did they go there knowing there was going to be a problem? If I saw a website that said "black can't stay here" I wouldn't go there and then sue when I'm not allowed entry.
They went knowing that the owners planned to break the law. And I'm sorry, but I would disagree with your reason for not going. It is against the law for any hotel, motel, or B&B in this country to deny a room to any person just because they are black. If I were black and saw such an ad, I would be there in a heartbeat, take them to court and prove to them that they cannot do that. Just as I would do the same to any black innkeeper who tried to deny me a room based on the fact that I'm white.

Last edited by MsMcQ LV; 01-19-2011 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: added last sentence.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:31 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,482,824 times
Has anybody out there besides me noticed that this occurred in the UNITED KINGDOM and NOT in the United States?

While the UK has similar laws to the US, they are not identical. No real way to compare the two.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:36 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,051,601 times
Quote:
Provide links to back up your subjective opinion. The story you posted came from the UK.
How is that a subjective opinion??????????? It's a summary of US law.

Here's a small portion of the Civil Rights Act

"TITLE II--INJUNCTIVE RELIEF AGAINST DISCRIMINATION IN PLACES OF PUBLIC ACCOMMODATION
SEC. 201. (a) All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, and privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin. "

Here's the whole law if you care to read it:

Our Documents - Transcript of Civil Rights Act (1964)

Sexual orientation is not protected - religion is. Some states have added sexual orientation to their civil rights laws, but many have not (if you really want a list of such states, I could compose that for you).

So again, in much of the US is it perfectly legal for a Christian to discriminate against a gay (deny a meal at his restaurant, deny a hotel room, etc), but for a gay to do the same thing to a Christian would be illegal.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:37 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,323,577 times
Quote:
It's possible. If so, I guess that puts them in the same class as those uppity .......... who staged lunch counter sit-ins back in the 50's and 60's despite knowing the no black rules.
Was that really necessary? Despite the fact that the comparison doesn't really valid since at the time the most of the no black rules were enforced by the law; if not on paper then in physical presence. Did you see any police officers with sticks threatening to beat up the gay couple if they came in? Don't know why people always have to go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
They went knowing that the owners planned to break the law. And I'm sorry, but I would disagree with your reason for not going. It is against the law for any hotel, motel, or B&B in this country to deny a room to any person just because they are black. If I were black and saw such an ad, I would be there in a heartbeat, take them to court and prove to them that they cannot do that. Just as I would do the same to any black innkeeper who tried to deny me a room based on the fact that I'm white.
I understand your point of view; I guess I just wouldn't do that. If you don't want my money then don't have it. I probably would have reported it to the proper channels but I don't think I would have invested my time and energy in going. Guess I'm not really the "march for your rights" type.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:37 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,739,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
Has anybody out there besides me noticed that this occurred in the UNITED KINGDOM and NOT in the United States?

While the UK has similar laws to the US, they are not identical. No real way to compare the two.
Yes, we know. The point I think Hammertime was trying to make is that, while Great Britain has such laws, too much of the US does not.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:38 PM

14,249 posts, read 17,859,118 times
Quote:
The article originated from the UK.

Agreed. This is another one of those Gay Agenda set-ups designed to make poor wittle gay boys and girls the victims of vicious institutional bigotry. In the end all it does is destroy a small business and the good owners' reputation -- hurrah for gay pride!
All the owners had to do was obey the law. Simple really.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:47 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,459,660 times
If they broke the law then they should pay. I wonder how many of the people that stayed there were really married. Did they ask for a marriage certificate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies