Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 07:45 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,933,881 times

Advertisements

Who really gives a ****?

Old 01-20-2011, 09:19 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,076,469 times
Bush seems cool and he's a conservative. Good sense of humor.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:20 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,729,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
It is not considered hip to you. The polarization in this country is shameful, and this thread is an example of that.

Good point

Old 01-20-2011, 09:25 AM

3,295 posts, read 6,993,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Almost by definition progressive can't mean conservative. It could mean libertarian, but that's not the same.
What's the "technical" definition of progressive?

Old 01-20-2011, 10:14 AM

5,427 posts, read 5,659,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
What's the "technical" definition of progressive?
Progressivism is a political attitude favoring or advocating changes or reform through governmental action.

Wiki:
Quote:
American progressives tend to support international economics: they advocate progressive taxation and oppose the growing influence of corporations. Progressives are in agreement on an international scale with left-liberalism in that they support organized labor and trade unions, they usually wish to introduce a living wage, and they often support the creation of a universal health care system. Yet progressives tend to be more concerned with environmentalism than mainstream liberals. In the United States, liberals and progressives are often conflated, and in general are the primary voters of the Democratic Party which has a "large tent" policy, combining similar if not congruent ideologies into large voting blocs. Many progressives also support the Green Party or local parties such as the Vermont Progressive Party.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:24 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,702,214 times
the answer is no.
for the sake of a counter argument, name a "cool" conservative city.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Progressivism is a political attitude favoring or advocating changes or reform through governmental action.

Wiki:
Ah, thanks. I've always thought of progressive as another name for socially liberal for some reason so I wasn't sure if I got the connotations right. I didn't know it implied government action.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I know, but in general, even outside of politics, having a conservative view on a particular subject is never considered cool or hip.
Isn't the very original definition of conservative, tight, cautious, traditional or sticking to tried norms, while liberal meant more loose, free, idealistic and radical.

If you stick to thinking about those ideas, you could see how it could make sense.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:30 AM

704 posts, read 1,785,924 times
Since it's MTV and the liberal media who define what's cool and what's not, no conservative city would ever meet the criteria for being considered cool. In other words, because youth media is big on gay rights, an indie/alternative music scene, generally easy-going social values, etc., then how would a conservative city ever meet the standard?

But at the end of the day, outside of the kitschy-cool cities like Seattle, San Francisco, and New York, the vast majority of people are far more concerned with making a living, providing a good, safe, quality, upbringing for their kids, and making sure that their family has a good life. So more conservative cities like Boise, Denver, Kansas City, etc. won't be "cool," but they'll almost always be more livable, affordable, and all-around better to live in.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:31 AM

546 posts, read 1,172,366 times
I think what is considered as "hip and cool" really depends on the population that lives there and their culture.

I went to Colorado Springs once, where it is considered a very conservative city in Colorado. I went to the World Prayer Center there, and to them they considered it "cool" and I was young at that time, and many teenagers and young college students went there too. So young people thought that church is cool. Maybe if the World Prayer Center were in San Fransico it wouldn't be considered as cool, but the kids who went to the World Prayer Center thought it was hip and cool to go there. I bet they considered it the "in" thing to do to go to church and worship the Christian God.

So yes I think conservative cities can be as "cool" as their liberal counterparts but the way they are cool is different than a liberal's version of cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies