Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:46 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,278,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I know what you are trying to say but you are not saying it the right way. Asians culture emphasizes success. Careers in the arts and entertainment field include a lot of risk. It's risky to abandon your education and risk success in these fields. You don't see Asian Americans taking these same risks as White Americans. How many Asians will allow their kid to drop out of high school or college and move to L.A. to make it in acting? Therefore, you don't see a lot of Asians excelling in the arts and entertainment industry to the same degree as Whites because those fields regquire much more risk than other fields and face greater odds.
On the contrary I'm saying it EXACTLY right. The drive for success and social conformity is the manisfestation of a cultural philosophy. The cultural philosophy is based on Confucianism. The tenets of Confucianism are honoring your parents and ancesters, loyalty to family, country, employer and community, filileal piety or respect for authority is also important that includes from father to son, from husband to wife, from ruler to ruled, and elder to younger. These tenets don't forster "Outside The Box" thinking.

Another tenet of Confuciianism is the pursuit of personal improvement and virtue and that while no person is inherently good or evil one becomes what ones practices and cultivates.

When you combine that all together the pursuit of success and educational attainment is perfectly understandable. It is the manifestation of honoring your parents and ancestors and it's the pursuit of self improvement. But it does create societies that are highly comformist based on the respect for authority.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:58 AM

352 posts, read 186,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post

The 2010 SAT college entrance test results are in. Historically, back in the day when I went to MIT, the common wisdom was that Asians scored better in math, but were disadvantaged because of the verbal scores.

Moderator cut: Copyright violation -- please post a link and a "snippet" only, per the Terms of Service.

Asian Americans are #1 on the SAT

They will be the new American Elite
Dirty little secret is on IQ tests

Asian: 105
White: 100
Some other non-disclosed Race: 85

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-29-2011 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 01-20-2011, 12:35 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,278,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flordelis View Post
Dirty little secret is on IQ tests

Asian: 105
White: 100
Some other non-disclosed Race: 85
Would you mind telling us what is "Some other non-disclosed race?"

Old 01-20-2011, 12:39 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,845,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Would you mind telling us what is "Some other non-disclosed race?"
black and/or Hispanic. It's not politically correct to say blacks and Hispanics perform poorly in the academic environment

Old 01-20-2011, 12:45 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,637,460 times
China student testing: China schools obsessed with test-taking - latimes.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This is hilarious. All the white people who trot this old lemon out to make themselves feel better crack me up. I can't speak for all asians, but I have a wonderful social life, was involved in athletics and music and travel, and had a wonderful childhood. My brother and many of my friends can say the same.

Yes, you can achieve without falling into the automaton stereotype. Nice try, though.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:46 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,351,245 times
But these SATs are interested, they say Mexicans are better than blacks ! Mexicans are pretty recent in the country with poor families speaking Spanish, and despise that they are better after all..Black students must be very bad :/

Old 01-20-2011, 12:47 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,063,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
black and/or Hispanic. It's not politically correct to say blacks and Hispanics perform poorly in the academic environment
Huh? People say it all the time. Hell, black and hispanic people say it.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:56 PM

this is a gross generalization. asians are not a monolith. there are differences between all the different cultures and ethnicities. they are not all the same. this is the myth of the MODEL MINORITY...
thats old bag. laotian, hmong, and cambodian groups dont do as well as their other "asian" counterparts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The reality is Asian culture is superior. Let's face it How many Asian people

1. Get pregnant when they are teenagers

2. Get pregnant early and start families early in life sacrificing their careers and education in the process.

3. Avoid college

4. End up in Jail or Prison

5. Are Homeless

6. Abuse Drugs and are in Rehab

7. Are okay with their kids getting less than A's in school. You don't see them patting their kids on the back for getting a B or C and "doing their best"

8. Are rude and impolite

9. Are on food stamps and welfare

10. Are divorced

Ask yourselves these questions and answer them sincerely. I know some will get defensive and offer a cheap retort. Instead, maybe the country and all of us should learn from them. I'm Hispanic, I'm well aware my culture has it's issues. All of us could learn a lot from Asian culture. They are obviously doing something right.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:02 PM

i think everyone is painting a very nice picture of these asian students when in fact it is a lot different. knowing quite a few i can say that what is perceived by some outsiders as an "appreciation of education" is sometimes just a "fear of shame". there is a strong push to succeed. some times it is unhealthy. it happens a lot. the pressure is strong.

The Growing Rate of Depression, Suicide Among Asian American Students (http://www.pacificcitizen.org/site/details/tabid/55/selectmoduleid/373/ArticleID/490/reftab/36/Default.aspx?title=The_Growing_Rate_of_Depression, _Suicide_Among_Asian_American_Students_ - broken link)

Old 01-20-2011, 01:11 PM

436 posts, read 754,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
While Asians have the qualities you suggested it also comes with it's own liabilites. In Asian cultures where high academic and career achievment is stressed it comes at the cost of having social skills and having a balanced personal life.

Also many Asian cultures also strive for conformity. This hampers their ability in terms of creativity and innovations. I just had a phone conversaton this morning with a person who works for a Korean university. He voiced the concern that many students don't develop critical thinking and creative schools because education is mainly seen as a way to get a job.
Hey, quite perpetuating stereotypes. From all the Asian-AMERICANS in the United States to you idiots who can't tell the difference:

QUIT LUMPING AMERICAN-BORN ASIANS WITH ALL THE ASIANS BACK IN ASIA!

I know you don't lump European Americans to European-born students. Do you lump all Black Americans to African-born students?

Most Asians who take the SATs are from the United States. And most of them attended AMERICAN SCHOOLS! Don't lump Asian Americans with Asians over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.