Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 02:43 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,400,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Huh? People say it all the time. Hell, black and hispanic people say it.
Agreed!! My Vietnamese 1/2 was held back by my Mexican 1/4. A shout-out to my German 1/4 for giving me good beer skillz.

[this thread amuses me]

Old 01-20-2011, 02:44 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,704,461 times
It seems to me that Asian students are disproportionately likely to be gifted. So, this argues for a genetic element. As a scientist, I have no issue with the notion that populations could conceivably be different in some ways. Clearly Masai are taller than Laplanders. Norwegians are blonder than Lebanese. When it comes to intellect, people get emotional and nonrational. Look up Occam's Razor.

However, in the annals of human achievement, white Europeans and Americans have led the world for a half millenium. Still do. The interesting difference may be due to the distribution of genius through a population. Certainly all populations of all humans produce genius, but how generally bright are the rest? Asians seem to show higher consistency in achievement than any other American group. Jews show amazing achievement and densities of geniuses. America has been a volcano of creative genius for centuries, and also a slum of folly and anti-intellectualism. And producing one Bill Gates in a sea of Homer Simpsons is not always ideal. As an old writer said of Ireland. "This place could do with a bit less genius and a bit more competence!" I would guess that fundamental good judgment and competence are more important than genius for a society. Asians bring a strength in these areas that would be great to study further.

Vis a vis Asian culture. I personally admire all the elements discussed (education, marriage fidelity, crime, socioeconomic success). I am a political liberal, but I admire hard work and self-improvement. Yet it seems that there is a trade off between intense conformity and potential shame and self-confidence. I read somewhere that African-Americans were the most self-confident and Asian-Americans the least in the US, perhaps because of different cultural or temperamental perspectives and expectations. I think American culture as a whole needs to emphasize discipline and respect, but I suppose there would be some trade offs if we went whole hog in that direction.

As a parting shot, I would say that Asian-Americans often represent the best of all the cultural elements. They are not uncreative. I see no shortage of exceptional achievement among the group in arts, science, commerce, etc., while embarrassing all other groups in the rarity of crime, teenage pregnancy, drug addiction, welfare sponging, etc., etc.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:53 PM

9,879 posts, read 7,983,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
In the meantime young people in Seoul, Shanghai, and Tokyo are decked out in hip-hop gear and listening to pop- and rap heavily influenced by American culture.

What is being said that a culture that in countries like Japan, Korea, China, and Viet Nam that are heavily influence by Confucianism, which places a priority on loyalty and commitment to family, community, employer and country above self doesn't necessarily create a environment for a lot of outside the box thinking.
They also have high prostitution. In Japan alone, the sex industry earns an estimated 2.3 trillion yen a year.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
They also have high prostitution. In Japan alone, the sex industry earns an estimated 2.3 trillion yen a year.
Good point! I was so busy drinking the koolaid I was typing, I forgot to think about all the lame things about some Asian cultures. The Japanese have not been too kind to the Ainu. And the Chinese not exactly admirable in their treatment of the Tibetans. Food for thought. Thanks!

Old 01-20-2011, 03:22 PM

436 posts, read 753,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
The Japanese have not been too kind to the Ainu. And the Chinese not exactly admirable in their treatment of the Tibetans. Food for thought. Thanks!
Again, I am a bit confused. The OP's discussion was based on SAT test score comparisons singling out Asian scores. Most of whom, are AMERICAN students. Why do people keep posting articles about how obsessed Chinese schools are with test-taking? Or about prostitution in Japan.
Or how the Chinese treat the Tibetans.

Again, we are talking about Asian SAT College Entrance Exam scores. Thus, the Asians you are talking about are predominately Asian Americans. Most of whom, did not go to an overcrowded school in Asia and they listen to American Pop in the streets of the good'old USA.

Again, Please stop lumping all Asian Americans with Asian-born Asians. Is this so difficult?

Old 01-20-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_Thumb View Post
Again, I am a bit confused. The OP's discussion was based on SAT test score comparisons singling out Asian scores. Most of whom, are AMERICAN students. Why do people keep posting articles about how obsessed Chinese schools are with test-taking? Or about prostitution in Japan.
Or how the Chinese treat the Tibetans.

Again, we are talking about Asian SAT College Entrance Exam scores. Thus, the Asians you are talking about are predominately Asian Americans. Most of whom, did not go to an overcrowded school in Asia and they listen to American Pop in the streets of the good'old USA.

Again, Please stop lumping all Asian Americans with Asian-born Asians. Is this so difficult?

Ok, my bad. I was just reacting to a fawning post about how Asians-Americans are most likely both smart and bring many great qualities. Naturally one's mind goes to the origin of those qualities in Asia. Which, in the end, is off point.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:29 PM

436 posts, read 753,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Good point! I was so busy drinking the koolaid I was typing, I forgot to think about all the lame things about some Asian cultures. The Japanese have not been too kind to the Ainu. And the Chinese not exactly admirable in their treatment of the Tibetans. Food for thought. Thanks!
You tell them. They should have taken lessons on our treatment of the American Indians. Or perhaps, we should have made the Chinese build our railroads. Or perhaps, we should enslave all the African Americans. Yep, they are nothing like us. Yep, good' old American Ingenuity.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:58 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,296,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flordelis View Post
Dirty little secret is on IQ tests

Asian: 105
White: 100
Some other non-disclosed Race: 85
This is stupid. What is the actual functional difference between a 100 IQ test score and a 105 IQ test score? An IQ can fluctuate that much in the course of a single day. Both numbers, btw, are pretty low, and a high IQ with no motivation to succeed is why many brilliant kids become disaffected losers living in mom's basement playing world of warcraft and raging against mainstream culture.

Again, the difference in achievement can best be explained by cultural and home emphasis. I think anyone of any race who has that emphasis will do better on average than someone of another race who does not have that emphasis.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:13 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,302,917 times
Superior? What exactly makes them superior? Being able to score better on a test? Hah!

I wonder how well those Asian's scoring so high on those math tests socialize with people. The more I go through this world the more I see that mathematical capability and one's ability to understand other humans is mutually exclusive. If you are good at reading numbers, chances are you aren't that great at reading people. I don't consider that a trait of superiority.

Last edited by CravingMountains; 01-20-2011 at 05:30 PM..

Old 01-20-2011, 05:19 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,811,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i think everyone is painting a very nice picture of these asian students when in fact it is a lot different. knowing quite a few i can say that what is perceived by some outsiders as an "appreciation of education" is sometimes just a "fear of shame". there is a strong push to succeed. some times it is unhealthy. it happens a lot. the pressure is strong.

The Growing Rate of Depression, Suicide Among Asian American Students (http://www.pacificcitizen.org/site/details/tabid/55/selectmoduleid/373/ArticleID/490/reftab/36/Default.aspx?title=The_Growing_Rate_of_Depression, _Suicide_Among_Asian_American_Students_ - broken link)
Which is why Japan has the highest suicide rate in the world because the pressure is so much over there that many students can't take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies