Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2013, 11:10 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,069,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Uh huh...and what good did it do for India?

Again, I don't value I.Q...I value application. I don't care if you can ace the SAT if you can't boil a hot dog.

Moreover, there is a lot more to being a complete person than having the ability to ace tests.

So to me...NO...they're not superior.
I am pretty sure he meant Native Americans - not people from India.

And the grapes are sour, too.

BTW, boiling hot dogs is not considered either skilled labor or much of a professional occupation in most places, but I guess Detroit has its own standards.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:22 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Exactly, "Well I may only make 40K a year, be divorced and have 3 kids at the age of 23 but at least I got laid in high school" LOL...love that comeback by white people. I see this all the time in the hospital. I see a 34 year old fat White nurse who carries pictures of herself as a cheerleader on her cell phone to show to people or better yet, she posts it on Facebook. Meanwhile, she has two teenagers because she got pregnant when she was was 19 and is divorced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
You do realize that those dumb*** whites scored just 2.6% lower than Asians on the SAT test, right?

Mexican and Mexican American students scored 16% below Asians and blacks did even worse.

SAT scores show disparities by race, gender, family income - USATODAY.com
Quote:
I wonder what that percentage would be if you excluded Jewish people from the "white" category. I know many Jews don't consider themselves to be "White" since that typically refers to white anglo saxon Christians. Their culture is significantly different from mainstream "white" culture in terms of family values, work ethic etc. That distinction would be far greater than 2.6% if you excluded them.

And you are highlighting Mexican and Mexican American stats because I'm Mexican American? Yes, my culture has a long way to go in improving success on standardized tests. Nonetheless, I became a physician and achieved success. However, I see many of the same problems in my culture that I see with white mainstream culture. They emphasize success in non-academic fields more than Asians and Jews. Even some of the responses on this thread demonstrate those attitudes. People are referring to penis size and dating success which exemplifies their definition of success. That is likely just compensation for refusing to acknowledge their failures in life.
Quote:
No GDB, you highlighted that and you went after white people.

Now you have egg on your face and want to try it again by redefining white people to exclude Jews.

OK, if we assumed that 2.5% (an admittedly exaggerated number) of white test takers were Jewish, and if we further assumed that every one of them scored a perfect 2400 on the test, even if we excluded these pretend perfect scores from the white's total, white (minus Jews) would still have an average SAT score of 1513.

Still wanna play?
Quote:
My wife is White and my children are half White. And I was making a facetious comment about one specific nurse. However, your strategy is pretty clear. You are losing this argument and are now trying to race bait to recover. However, it was clear that you posted those statistics about Hispanics underperforming in response to my post because I'm Hispanic (even those Hispanic SAT statistics has nothing to do with this thread). So it's clear you were deliberately attempting to ridicule Hispanics just to take a shot at me.

Furthermore, if you examine American History, many Jews were not accepted by society and not considered to be "White". This is particularly true in the American South. As a result, many Jewish Americans forged their own identity as "Jewish".

Boston Bombing Aftermath: David Sirota and Ben Shapiro claim Jews are not part of White America | The Occidental Observer - White Identity, Interests, and Culture

Second, read the following quote. Unlike you, I'm supporting my statements with facts not supposition.

In a 1998 op-ed (“Some minorities are more minor than others”), Ron Unz pointed out “Asians comprise between 2% and 3% of the U.S. population, but nearly 20% of Harvard undergraduates. Then too, between a quarter and a third of Harvard students identify themselves as Jewish, while Jews also represent just 2% to 3% of the overall population. Thus, it appears that Jews and Asians constitute approximately half of Harvard’s student body, leaving the other half for the remaining 95% of America.

Jews therefore constitute a vastly disproportionate share of the population classified as White at elite universities. Data from an earlier study by Espenshade show that around half of the students at elite universities are classified as White, suggesting that Jews and non-Jews classified as White are approximately equal in numbers. (Given that students from the Middle East are also classified as White, there is the suggestion that Jews outnumber non-Jewish students of Christian European descent.)

Jewish overrepresentation at elite universities explained | The Occidental Observer - White Identity, Interests, and Culture

If you exclude the proportion of White students (Jews) that are scoring the highest on the SAT, you can be assured that number you quoted will be different.

Game Set and Match

But, but,...Harvard undergraduates...

Moving the goal post once again?

Are we now going from two out of three to three out of five?

You: LOL...love that comeback by white people.

You: I wonder what that percentage would be if you excluded Jewish people from the "white" category.

You: My wife is White and my children are half White (see, "Some of my best friends are black").

"between a quarter and a third of Harvard students identify themselves as Jewish, while Jews also represent just 2% to 3% of the overall population."

Has what to do with SAT scores?

Old 07-09-2013, 11:28 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
Didn't read the entire thread, but this subject is of great interest to me. I am a white person who was dying to know the secrets of Asian families with regard to "training" their kids to be obedient and scholarly. I must say, I never learned the secrets.

I am wondering if it is just a certain class of Asians that are of superior intelligence - this is going to sound completely dumb and racist, but I am the type of person who is interested in customs and culture and I have tried to engage many Vietnamese nail salon people over the years, and have been unable to get any of them to show any interest, what-so-ever in any cultural issues . . .and it's not, as you may surmise, due to their language difficulties, because I can talk to them about fashion and mindless stuff and there is no problem.

So - do the superior results have to do with class?

What are the secrets of Asian families in getting their kids brainwashed to want to take care of them in old age and work their butts off in school? And don't just say "culture," because that tells nothing. What do the parents actually do and say? Examples, please!

Old 07-09-2013, 11:54 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,001 times
My wife is Philippino/Chinese and went to Chinese schools in Manila through elementary and HS. She did not go to college because she had to drop out of school to work in the family business. Shortly after coming to America she enrolled in a state university Accounting program, In less than 4 years she graduated 4.0 Summa com Laude.

The secret is hard work. That woman would lock herself in the computer room 18 hours a day for days and weeks at a time studying. No homework assignement, Paper or project was done until she was out of time. When she took tests she never left the room until time was up. Everytime I went to pick her up it was useless to come early because she would not stop testing and leave the room until time was up. While she certainly is smart their is nothing special intellectually or academically about her. Anyone who works that hard can pull off the same grades as she did and excel in school.

I think the problem with Americans is they allow to many distractions into their lives because they are lazy anddont want to study all the time. Their priorities are screwed up and they would rather play video games ahng with friends, listen to music etc than devote the time to studying. Now what her culture did to impress upon her this desperate valuation of an education that made it an all consuming priority in her life I dont know. I would assume it is being raised in and environment where theres alot of real poverty and their parent pressuring kids that the only way to rise above that poverty is to do well in school.

I would also say from what I can gather from her is that Chinese schools are much more competative. While Americans are graded with A B C D F in her schools growing up students goals were to be top 4 or 5 in class. That created a curve with a ceiling being over 100% rather than one that started at 97% because that was the highest score in the class

Hard work competition and a fear of disappointing parents. If you dont do well in grammar and high school there is no way you are getting into college

Old 07-10-2013, 12:09 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
My wife is Philippino/Chinese and went to Chinese schools in Manila through elementary and HS. She did not go to college because she had to drop out of school to work in the family business. Shortly after coming to America she enrolled in a state university Accounting program, In less than 4 years she graduated 4.0 Summa com Laude.

The secret is hard work. That woman would lock herself in the computer room 18 hours a day for days and weeks at a time studying. No homework assignement, Paper or project was done until she was out of time. When she took tests she never left the room until time was up. Everytime I went to pick her up it was useless to come early because she would not stop testing and leave the room until time was up. While she certainly is smart their is nothing special intellectually or academically about her. Anyone who works that hard can pull off the same grades as she did and excel in school.

I think the problem with Americans is they allow to many distractions into their lives because they are lazy anddont want to study all the time. Their priorities are screwed up and they would rather play video games ahng with friends, listen to music etc than devote the time to studying. Now what her culture did to impress upon her this desperate valuation of an education that made it an all consuming priority in her life I dont know. I would assume it is being raised in and environment where theres alot of real poverty and their parent pressuring kids that the only way to rise above that poverty is to do well in school.

I would also say from what I can gather from her is that Chinese schools are much more competative. While Americans are graded with A B C D F in her schools growing up students goals were to be top 4 or 5 in class. That created a curve with a ceiling being over 100% rather than one that started at 97% because that was the highest score in the class

Hard work competition and a fear of disappointing parents. If you dont do well in grammar and high school there is no way you are getting into college
Please see the bolded and ask her, specifically, what her parents said and did to get her to become so motivated and also what they did to instill such fear of disappointing parents. American kids could not care less about disappointing parents - so what is it?

Old 07-10-2013, 12:22 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Please see the bolded and ask her, specifically, what her parents said and did to get her to become so motivated and also what they did to instill such fear of disappointing parents. American kids could not care less about disappointing parents - so what is it?
Read "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother" by Amy Chua

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother: Amy Chua: 9780143120582: Amazon.com: Books

This book has all the answers you seek. I read it and while I'm very disciplined, I had no idea. The amount of discipline, high expectations and hard work that is detailed in this book demonstrates the Asian work ethic and why so many Asians succeed in this country. It's no secret that hard work and discipline yields success. It really has little to anything to do with IQ.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:31 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Has what to do with SAT scores?
You disputed that removing Jews from the "Whites" category would have no impact on the average SAT score of Whites. The evidence I provided shows that some of the highest SAT scores of Whites are scored by Jews. When removing Jews from the equation, the statistical outcome you quoted would change. Your retort was that Jews make up such a small percentage of the population that it would not significantly impact those scores. However, despite Jews making up a small percentage of the population, they comprise a much a higher percentage of the top SAT scores in the country. If you are excluding them from the "Whites" category, that will in fact impact that 2% distinction you quoted. The article I quoted was using Harvard as an example, but that trend is not limited to Harvard which the article states: "A 2009 article in the Daily Princetonian (“Choosing the Chosen People”) cited data from Hillel, a Jewish campus organization, that with the exception of Princeton and Dartmouth, on average Jews made up 24% of Ivy League undergrads." Sorry but this concept really isn't difficult to understand. If you are going to contradict my point, at least provide some evidence to dispute my finding instead of offering the weak "Has what to do with SAT scores." Then again, if you could have done that, you would have. Nonetheless, make Johnny Cochran proud and continue to race bait since you have nothing else. LOL

Jewish overrepresentation at elite universities explained | The Occidental Observer - White Identity, Interests, and Culture

Last edited by azriverfan.; 07-10-2013 at 12:59 AM..

Old 07-10-2013, 12:33 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,001 times
Ill give you my biased right wing take. The progressive liberal policies of the last 60 years have had the intended consequence of destroying the family. In single parent families their is a breakdown of dicipline as children are not encouraged, directed and rewarded for excelling in schoolwork. When they eventually end up in JR high school smoking cigarettes and skipping class they are not held accountable and from there they do what ever they want which is mostly getting into trouble and taking consumer math to get the math credit the easist way they can, But when the time comes for them to start thinking about college to much time has passed and they dont have what it takes to succeed in the difficult subjects that are truly rewarding in our economy. And even in a two parent household when a child gets out of hand you cannot correct them without some sort of interviention by well meaning but deluded authorities.

My FIL is a severe man. I dont think anyone in my wifes family had the nerve to come home with grades that were any less than what they were capable of. Ive heard stories of the man doing things that might get the children taken away or him punished if his methods of behavior change took place within the politically correct borders of the US. The recipricol of that is im sure that a smile and nod of acknowledgement when they excelled was a powerful motivator.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:52 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlittlepig View Post
I'm Asian or oriental whatever you want to call it
I'm a physician, my sister is physician, my brother is in med school, the other brother is a PHD.
my wife is a physician, her sister is a physician, brother is an attorney, sister accountant etc.

parents didn't try to be my buddy or friend, they were strict, I thank them for that I needed the motivation when I was young. my mom drilled me in math, that head start was instrumental, very instrumental, gave me a lot of confidence.
This...
I am married to an asian from Thailand. The level of disipline, expectations and respect are on an entirely different level that typical US households. I was strict with my kids, but compared to my wife I am a free pass.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:48 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Y-DNA haplogroup map: I think it explains a lot of things.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies