Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 07:33 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,130,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
While Asians have the qualities you suggested it also comes with it's own liabilites. In Asian cultures where high academic and career achievment is stressed it comes at the cost of having social skills and having a balanced personal life.

This is hilarious. All the white people who trot this old lemon out to make themselves feel better crack me up. I can't speak for all asians, but I have a wonderful social life, was involved in athletics and music and travel, and had a wonderful childhood. My brother and many of my friends can say the same.

Yes, you can achieve without falling into the automaton stereotype. Nice try, though.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:35 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,273,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Asians aren't "superior" to white people. No race is "superior" to another.
Agreed it has more to do with culture than race. If you look at Asia overall Korean, Japanese, Chinese, and Indian cultures place an extremely high cultural value on education. In countries like Thailand, The Phillipines, Viet Nam, Laos and other places there is less of an emphasis. The key is understanding the history, econonmy and culture of the diffferent countries.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:37 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,273,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This is hilarious. All the white people who trot this old lemon out to make themselves feel better crack me up. I can't speak for all asians, but I have a wonderful social life, was involved in athletics and music and travel, and had a wonderful childhood. My brother and many of my friends can say the same.

Yes, you can achieve without falling into the automaton stereotype. Nice try, though.
Speaking of stereotypes you automatically assumed I was white.

And you're right you can't speak for all Asians.

But thanks for sharing!

Old 01-20-2011, 07:38 AM

13,627 posts, read 20,687,747 times
Quote:
Agreed it has more to do with culture than race. If you look at Asia overall Korean, Japanese, Chinese, and Indian cultures place an extremely high cultural value on education. In countries like Thailand, The Phillipines, Viet Nam, Laos and other places there is less of an emphasis. The key is understanding the history, econonmy and culture of the diffferent countries.
In the interest of fairness and with all due seriousness, I have to agree.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:40 AM

790 posts, read 1,728,775 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIDmoBmCYD0

Old 01-20-2011, 07:44 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,013,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Depends on your definition of superiority. Academically speaking, Asians are superior to all other tested groups. That's not really debatable.

You can debate the hows/whys the discrepancy exists and whether or not it is some genetic propensity towards higher intelligence or cultural differences that lead to academic success at higher rates than those seen in other groups.
There are different angles at this. Asians are 'superiour' in the sense that they put in more effort because they are forced to by their parents/culture mores. But they tend to study by rote, and simply memorize things and then repeat them. There is very little spontaneous "Eureka!" element to them. Other races are more inventive. Even Asians of old decent were like that (sponatneous inventors). Perhaps it's an outgrowth of adopting the Western university culture.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:54 AM

7,163 posts, read 4,725,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post

The 2010 SAT college entrance test results are in. Historically, back in the day when I went to MIT, the common wisdom was that Asians scored better in math, but were disadvantaged because of the verbal scores.

Moderator cut: Copyright violation -- please post a link and a "snippet" only, per the Terms of Service.

Asian Americans are #1 on the SAT

They will be the new American Elite
1. Asian children appreciate sacrifices/hard work of their parents. Asian children believe they should repay their parents in kind by being successful.

2. Asian parents do not tell their children: if this is good enough for me, then, it is good enough for you. Children are expected, and encouraged, to do better than their parents.

3. They value education.

4. They have self-discipline and a strong work ethic.

5. They respect their elders. They're less likely to do things because "all my friends are doing it".

These observations are related to CULTURE and UPBRINGING, not race.

**The above remarks are based on statements made by the valedictorians during the High School graduations I've attended during the past 10 years. The #1 student has always been Asian.**

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-29-2011 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 01-20-2011, 07:57 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,936,819 times
"Why Chinese Mothers are Superior"

Wall Strert Journal: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...=china+parents

C-D Parenting thread: "Why Chinese Mothers are Superior"

Old 01-20-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
There are different angles at this. Asians are 'superiour' in the sense that they put in more effort because they are forced to by their parents/culture mores. But they tend to study by rote, and simply memorize things and then repeat them. There is very little spontaneous "Eureka!" element to them. Other races are more inventive. Even Asians of old decent were like that (sponatneous inventors). Perhaps it's an outgrowth of adopting the Western university culture.
Again...more rationalizing b.s. to make people feel better about themselves.
It's too funny. Some of the best artists and musicians I know are asian.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Speaking of stereotypes you automatically assumed I was white.

And you're right you can't speak for all Asians.

But thanks for sharing!
No I didn't.
But I hear it all the time from white people.
And you can't speak for them, either...with your old rationalization chestnuts of utter b.s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies