Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 08:15 AM

507 posts, read 677,125 times

Advertisements

I believe that a lot of this also has to do with recent immigration. I've heard similar things said about recent African immigrants. They work hard, value education, etc. I think a lot of this about coming from another place, realizing the struggle that it took to get there, and making sure that your children work hard and succeed.

Asian is that largest continent with a ton of different countries and cultures. It is a little too much of a stretch for me to believe that every single Asian has the same exact values, customs, and beliefs.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:34 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,277,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Again...more rationalizing b.s. to make people feel better about themselves.
It's too funny. Some of the best artists and musicians I know are asian.
In the meantime young people in Seoul, Shanghai, and Tokyo are decked out in hip-hop gear and listening to pop- and rap heavily influenced by American culture.

Nobody is saying that an Asian person can't be creative. What is being said that a culture that in countries like Japan, Korea, China, and Viet Nam that are heavily influence by Confucianism, which places a priority on loyalty and commitment to family, community, employer and country above self doesn't necessarily create a environment for a lot of outside the box thinking.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:40 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,474,961 times
Quote:
No I didn't.
But I hear it all the time from white people.
And you can't speak for them, either...with your old rationalization chestnuts of utter b.s.

Hey Stan, its not only "whites" who speak such rationalizations.....

Old 01-20-2011, 09:56 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,827,754 times
I think people are reading too much into the reported test scores. I would like to point out that a student with the reported average scores would be on the low end of admitted students at most of the leading universities and colleges in the country. I'm not of Asian decent and my SAT test scores were significantly higher than the average scores.

Its not clear to me that you can draw any useful conclusions based on looking at the average score, particularly when you don't also take a look at the demographics of the test takers. As an example, where the test takers a representative sampling of their demographic group?

Old 01-20-2011, 10:27 AM

3,494 posts, read 4,537,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I think people are reading too much into the reported test scores. I would like to point out that a student with the reported average scores would be on the low end of admitted students at most of the leading universities and colleges in the country. I'm not of Asian decent and my SAT test scores were significantly higher than the average scores.

Its not clear to me that you can draw any useful conclusions based on looking at the average score, particularly when you don't also take a look at the demographics of the test takers. As an example, where the test takers a representative sampling of their demographic group?
I agree that numbers can be skewed in some ways. However, the overall picture is in favor of oriental achieving academically much better than other groups.
When you have numbers and people argue how to interpret those statistics then go and look around you.
Compare oriental families against others in general and see how they behave as families, in their own personal lives, in school, at libraries, etc. and as far as I am concerned you will see orientals putting more focus on education than other groups. You present yourself as an example. Well, that is not enough to show the whole picture. I am aware that not everybody in a group is the same. Not all orientals are the same in education. Not all orientals are expert at martial arts but many oriental societies do have martial art training in their countries and may bring that as part of their culture just as many people from other countries are avid soccer fans. I was stationed twice in Korea for an overall time amongst them of 3 years and saw their work ethic and how their culture values do help them achieve as they do in their country and those that bring those values to the US when they move here.
In the book "Ten things you can't say in American" the writer was talking about affirmative action. He said that a friend took him to a couple of places. In one outside there was this skating grounds where a lot of mexican kids were doing all this jordanesque moves. They looked amazing. Now the friend took him inside the library. Mostly oriental families reading or helping their kids do research and homework. The friend then asked him to fast forward that picture and asked which group was most likely be the future CEOs, business managers, engineers, etc. The groups from the kids outside or inside the library?
I personnaly admire two groups. Jews and orientals. Look at them and you won't see them in unemployment lines as you see whites, women, blacks, mexicans, etc. You do not see them crying all over the place how victimized they are. They may complain about social injustices but at the same time they are going to college, starting business, etc. I have followed their examples and we did the same with our daughters, took them to the library every Saturday, we helped them with their homework, went to see their teachers, etc. Interestingly the parents that do that happen to have the majority of kids getting in less trouble and succeeding further in life as I see it. Our culture has become too self centered, narcisistic, asking for immediate rewards, do not want to sacrifice much to get what we want, etc. and that is hurting us I must say, take care.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:35 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,242,426 times
The reality is Asian culture is superior. Let's face it How many Asian people

1. Get pregnant when they are teenagers

2. Get pregnant early and start families early in life sacrificing their careers and education in the process.

3. Avoid college

4. End up in Jail or Prison

5. Are Homeless

6. Abuse Drugs and are in Rehab

7. Are okay with their kids getting less than A's in school. You don't see them patting their kids on the back for getting a B or C and "doing their best"

8. Are rude and impolite

9. Are on food stamps and welfare

10. Are divorced

Ask yourselves these questions and answer them sincerely. I know some will get defensive and offer a cheap retort. Instead, maybe the country and all of us should learn from them. I'm Hispanic, I'm well aware my culture has it's issues. All of us could learn a lot from Asian culture. They are obviously doing something right.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:46 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,063,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Depends on your definition of superiority. Academically speaking, Asians are superior to all other tested groups. That's not really debatable.

You can debate the hows/whys the discrepancy exists and whether or not it is some genetic propensity towards higher intelligence or cultural differences that lead to academic success at higher rates than those seen in other groups.
I'll go so far as to say that the test scores of Asian students ON AVERAGE are superior to other groups.

But to make it out as if they are congenitally superior to other groups is ridiculous.

Besides, which Asians? I'm not sure about this, but it seems that the children of Koreans, Chinese and Japanese fair pretty well. But the children of Vietnamese, Hmong, Cambodians, Thai, Laotians, Filipinos, etc. don't seem to fair nearly as well.

My own inkling is that if you grabbed a baby of Peruvian extraction (just hypothetically throwing out a country) that is racially Amerindian, black, and Spanish and put that child in a Chinese American household in the Bay Area....a household that already has very well educated children....that child would probably do just as well academically as the blood related children of his adoptive parents.

Just my opinion, of course.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
This is hilarious. All the white people who trot this old lemon out to make themselves feel better crack me up. I can't speak for all asians, but I have a wonderful social life, was involved in athletics and music and travel, and had a wonderful childhood. My brother and many of my friends can say the same.

Yes, you can achieve without falling into the automaton stereotype. Nice try, though.
Exactly, "Well I may only make 40K a year, be divorced and have 3 kids at the age of 23 but at least I got laid in high school" LOL...love that comeback by white people. I see this all the time in the hospital. I see a 34 year old fat White nurse who carries pictures of herself as a cheerleader on her cell phone to show to people or better yet, she posts it on Facebook. Meanwhile, she has two teenagers because she got pregnant when she was was 19 and is divorced.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
In the meantime young people in Seoul, Shanghai, and Tokyo are decked out in hip-hop gear and listening to pop- and rap heavily influenced by American culture.

Nobody is saying that an Asian person can't be creative. What is being said that a culture that in countries like Japan, Korea, China, and Viet Nam that are heavily influence by Confucianism, which places a priority on loyalty and commitment to family, community, employer and country above self doesn't necessarily create a environment for a lot of outside the box thinking.
I know what you are trying to say but you are not saying it the right way. Asians culture emphasizes success. Careers in the arts and entertainment field include a lot of risk. It's risky to abandon your education and risk success in these fields. You don't see Asian Americans taking these same risks as White Americans. How many Asians will allow their kid to drop out of high school or college and move to L.A. to make it in acting? Therefore, you don't see a lot of Asians excelling in the arts and entertainment industry to the same degree as Whites because those fields require much more risk than other fields and face greater odds.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:43 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,610,333 times
I thnik it clear that they believe more in and take better advantage of the value of education than other groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.