Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 10:23 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
Why is this racist thread allowed? I find it quite offensive.

Anyway, Immigrants from India specifically(can't speak on the other groups) are not representative of the average Indian at all...
It is undeniable that Americans, White and otherwise have become highly complacent due to 'being on top' and very comfortable, as a result have we've developed an inferior work ethic in education and our jobs to certain other groups...

This thread is still racist!
How is it racist? It's citing real findings.

Also, this thread is not about Indian (or any other) immigrants. It's about Americans.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:31 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
How do African immigrants rank in SAT scores?

Not sure about how they rank as far as SAT scores but...

African immigrants to the U.S. are among the most educated groups in the United States. Some 48.9 percent of all African immigrants hold a college degree compared to 42.5 percent for Asian Americans and 23.1 percent for White Americans.

According to the 2000 Census, the rate of college diploma acquisition is highest among Egyptian Americans at 59.7 percent, followed closely by Nigerian Americans at 58.6 percent.

Of the African-born population in the United States age 25 and older, 87.9% reported having a high school degree or higher, compared with 78.8% of Asian-born immigrants and 76.8% of European-born immigrants, respectively

Old 04-04-2012, 10:33 PM

831 posts, read 680,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Asian kids who focus solely on academics are at disadvantage socially. They have zero people skills and just don't seem well-rounded. While I want my children to do well academically, I also want them to be able to enjoy other things in life. There needs to be a middle ground.

Lots of Asian kids crack under the intense pressure that is placed on them. The males seem like they are becoming the new college rampage killers.

Now now now, theres no need to start doing what some white extremists on these boards do in this thread, if you dont like what others do unto you why should you do that unto others??

Like many other Filipino families, i do push for academics, not necessarly excellence, but being up there amongst the best, not much on sports yet, as they are still young, 10 being the eldest.

Now with regards cracking under pressure, every geography/spelling/math/science bee my boy has ever been in, he always wins it for the team and is a top scorer and sometimes gets pissed when he doesnt.

In his Young Marine boot camp, he was 9 years old at the time fielded amongst 15 teenagers as old as 16 yrs old, after 4 weekends at the Young Marines bootcamp, he managed to get an almost perfect score for his PT (physical training) and highest score with the classroom work which entails (jargon/history/first aid/living in the wild etc etc) which placed him 2nd cadet of his platoon. And was only 1 of 2 to get promoted to PFC at their graduation.

He was the only one in his platoon that didnt even cry when his DI's was screaming down on him, this his DI's were amazed and respected him greatly for at his graduation and yes just like the real thing, they were made to wake up 5am, PT 5.30am - 10pm lights out and 2 had to do an hours worth of fire watch.

Unlike the stereotypes, he wants to be a pilot in the USAF, he wants to make colorado to serve. Am i proud of him? damn straight.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:37 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Not sure about how they rank as far as SAT scores but...

African immigrants to the U.S. are among the most educated groups in the United States. Some 48.9 percent of all African immigrants hold a college degree compared to 42.5 percent for Asian Americans and 23.1 percent for White Americans.

According to the 2000 Census, the rate of college diploma acquisition is highest among Egyptian Americans at 59.7 percent, followed closely by Nigerian Americans at 58.6 percent.

Of the African-born population in the United States age 25 and older, 87.9% reported having a high school degree or higher, compared with 78.8% of Asian-born immigrants and 76.8% of European-born immigrants, respectively
Those are some interesting numbers. Thanks. I still believe there is significant value in looking at the breakdown by race. These figures are significant and mean something.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Why is this racist thread allowed? I find it quite offensive.

Anyway, Immigrants from India specifically(can't speak on the other groups) are not representative of the average Indian at all...
It is undeniable that Americans, White and otherwise have become highly complacent due to 'being on top' and very comfortable, as a result have we've developed an inferior work ethic in education and our jobs to certain other groups...

This thread is still racist!

How is it racist?

I think your just uncomfortable that a lot of Asian kids are doing well and many whites are not, is the answer you have in your head.

Quite frankly i dont know why you're worried, they are afterall Americans who do well to blend in society, do they not?

Old 04-04-2012, 10:55 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,363 times
My impression of Asian kids is they have a very good work ethic,
have great pride, really want to succeed, respect their elders and
listen very intently.

In my 35+ years of experience coaching young men (and women),
in youth sports, the above attributes are always a good method
of achievement in any endeavour.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:57 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Key word, 'Americans' are #1 on SATs.

Enough said.
What's your point? It's an American test, so of course Americans do the best...

Old 04-04-2012, 11:12 PM

744 posts, read 811,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post
How is it racist?

I think your just uncomfortable that a lot of Asian kids are doing well and many whites are not, is the answer you have in your head.

Quite frankly i dont know why you're worried, they are afterall Americans who do well to blend in society, do they not?
Not at all...A fact is a fact, facts don't upset me. White people, particularly White Americans have become complacent due to dramatically outperforming every other race in the world for hundreds of years, It is dangerous how White people have become so comfortable with being on top but once our position in the world inevitably declines and becomes threatened this will likely change. If Asian Americans do better on Average than White Americans on tests, good for them. We have to also take into account that Asians are a small percentage of US population and that in general(especially Indians) they are among the top 5% intelligence wise from their country of origin.

We also get immigrants like Hmongs, Filipinos, Laotians,Vietnamese who are not known for their academic prowess but tend to be very hard working

Old 04-04-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Not at all...A fact is a fact, facts don't upset me. White people, particularly White Americans have become complacent due to dramatically outperforming every other race in the world for hundreds of years, It is dangerous how White people have become so comfortable with being on top but once our position in the world inevitably declines and becomes threatened this will likely change. If Asian Americans do better on Average than White Americans on tests, good for them. We have to also take into account that Asians are a small percentage of US population and that in general(especially Indians) they are among the top 5% intelligence wise from their country of origin.

We also get immigrants like Hmongs, Filipinos, Laotians,Vietnamese who are not known for their academic prowess but tend to be very hard working

Call me a racist if you will, but i have a hard time accepting indians from Asia, flocking to these shores and yes muslims also. Simply because they will not fully assimalate to the American way of life. I lived a large portion of my 40 yrs in europe and i have witnessed the downturn of society from these leeches. The hispanics will pale in comparison when the time comes, but ill leave that for another thread.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:34 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times
They also have the lowest rejection rate for home mortgage applications of any ethnic group, as Dr. Thomas Sowell has pointed out in numerous instances.

Honesty, integrity, ethics, motivation, strict parents who raised them on a 'tight leash'....on and on and on....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies