Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:43 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Someone needs to fed the ignorant masses.
American TV "news" tells us what American corporations want us to know; what Israel (and AIPAC) wants us to know; what America's military-industrial complex wants us to know. That's the function of America's TV "news" media.
That's not rude or offensive at all.

Do you think CNN is telling the truth and Fox is just one big lie? Seriously? Talk about ignorance.

If you think that the conservative base is one big ignorant mass, you need to interact with these people more on a daily basis. Have a discussion with them about any issue and you will see that they can go head to head with you, and perhaps even beat you in a debate on the issues.

Try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Because the country is chock full of morons.
LOL Why does it have to come down to statements like this? Again, I find myself saying...typical liberal. Always gotta make it personal instead of finding a valid form of argumentation.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:44 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,980,454 times
As you can see from my posts above, you can find polls that say most anything you want.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:46 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times
Why isn't MSNBC in this poll? Are they afraid the distrust factor would be higher than Fox, because I'm pretty sure it would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Fox's pushing of the Republican agenda is particularly annoying. Perhaps if they didn't continue that "fair and balanced" lie it wouldn't bother me.
Compared to CNN and MSNBC, Fox is fair and balanced. Their debates are great because they have actual liberal and Independent/moderate pundits on the show to debate the conservative ones. CNN and MSNBC don't do that, their idea of a debate is to feature a hard-liberal vs a soft-liberal and then after a few minutes they both end up agreeing with one another.

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Because Faux news went to court to get permission to lie.
It's "entertainment" not neews.

There are several CD threads on this very topic.

Fox News was a defendant in a wrongful termination suit brought by a reporter team who wanted to do an envirowacko smear story on Monsanto without proof to back up their claims. Fox legal department gave them an ultimatum to prove their claims or drop the story. Since they had already spent three months producing their unverifiable story and done eighty rewrites, they refused to drop the matter and Fox declined to renew their contracts. They claimed whistle-blower status and wrongful termination. In the end, the FL appeals court threw Mr. and Mrs. Why-do-I-need-proof out on their fannies without a penny for their efforts.

"The trial commenced in summer 2000 with a jury dismissing all of the claims brought to trial by Wilson, but siding with one aspect of Akre's complaint, awarding Akre $425000 and agreeing that Akre was a whistle blower because she believed there were violations of the Communications Act of 1934 and because she planned on reporting WTVT to the Federal Communications Commission."

After the jury found Akre had federal whistle-blower protection since she believed the 1934 Communications Act was violated, the appeals court tossed that out too because the FCC's news distortion policy is not a "law, rule, or regulation" under section 448.102 of the Florida statutes.

At no time did Fox sue for the right to lie.

Fox never violated the 1934 Communications Act as was alleged.

The case against Fox was dismissed on all counts.

Wilson and Akre finally gave up on going after WTVT's FCC license in 2005.

This is the actual ruling of the court...
http://www.2dca.org/opinions/Opinion...3/2D01-529.pdf

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Do you understand what a community organizer is? It's someone who works with communities to help them mobilize to take action on issues that are important to them. The most recent example of community organizers I can think of are the tea party groups. This isn't a partisan thing--there are community organizers on both sides. Do you think that tea party candidates that mobilized their communities in the last election should be treated with disdain, or should be viewed as unqualified to hold office because of their work?
I see no one associated with the TEA Party running for President. If there were, I would consider them as equally unqualified to lead the nation as Obama (assuming that was their only qualification). Obama was a one-time fluke, the result of an apparent national brain fart. Traditionally former Governors, VPs, and Generals are elected President by either side. People who have some grasp on how government actually functions and preferably with prior executive experience.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:49 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Do you think CNN is telling the truth and Fox is just one big lie? Seriously? Talk about ignorance.
The big problem with your argument, or any like that, is that it assumes "the news" aspect of these organizations. Usually, they themselves are not lies (although, at times "mis-presented" to direct public opinion). The livelihood really rests on the opinion BS that these cable networks rely on. It is where things change. Then there is that disappearing aspect of "news" networks called journalism. It has, of course, been taken by opinionated pundits.

But people are fed the stuff to their desires, things they can swallow "with pride" no matter how much delusion it represents.

Quote:
LOL Why does it have to come down to statements like this? Again, I find myself saying...typical liberal. Always gotta make it personal instead of finding a valid form of argumentation.
You took that argument personally and got overly defensive even when the person presented it as a generic statement which can be applied across the board, right, left and in the middle.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:50 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
That's not rude or offensive at all.

If you think that the conservative base is one big ignorant mass, you need to interact with these people more on a daily basis. Have a discussion with them about any issue and you will see that they can go head to head with you, and perhaps even beat you in a debate on the issues.

Try again.
I know...Obama and the godless liberals are responsible for all problems, and anyone who disagrees with that is an America hating commie. Welcome to Fox.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:51 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
If we did not have fox news....we never would have known about the church that obama frequented for what was it...10- 15 years....but never claimed to listen?

I wonder why all the other media shyed away from that....

In the end....you have to do your own thinking....

People in this tread calling people names because of what they watch...thats really big of you guys....

Take the news with a grain of salt and do your own investigatoins....

Google can be your freind....but you also have to take Google with a grain of salt....

Old 01-20-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Palin, Huckabee, Newt, Rick Santorum and John Bolton.
A quick google search tells me you get your information from Media Matters. This is a hilarious discovery...to comment on a thread regarding bias in the media, and yet you get your news from Media Matters?! We need a laughing icon on CD, badly.

Is John Bolton the latest Fox News personality considering a 2012 White House bid? | Media Matters for America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies