Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 04:30 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Children are covered for transplants up to the age of 21 in AZ.
If they find out they need a transplant at 22 then they get to die.

McDonalds & Walmart offer medical benefits for full time only & it is almost impossible to get hired at full time. There are also jobs that are now hiring people as sub-contractors so they don't have to offer benefits.

Adults get to make decisions & most who have to take jobs at McDonalds & have children have to decide whether to buy food & electric or insurance.
Kids would rather eat food than insurance.

If this state was so worried about illegal aliens like they act then they could have stopped welfare to them & at the very least not cherry picked out the few who have been sentenced to a certain death without a trial here.
This will get worse as the country falls further into decline.
Don't believe that people can work at fast food restaurants & can always afford insurance.
Its not impossible to get hired on full time at walmart or McDonalds. I know two people that just did that. Of course our walmart is brand new, but thats beside the point.

Adults have options, you're on your own after 21.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 04:31 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,740,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
I was talking about the "kids can stay with their parents' insurance till they're 26" policy.
I apologize.....I get very upset over this issue & the lack of understanding & compassion or even empathy that some have concerning health care.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Its not impossible to get hired on full time at walmart or McDonalds. I know two people that just did that. Of course our walmart is brand new, but thats beside the point.

The people who need the transplants can't work because they are sick.
There is one state worker here who had a transplant 10 yrs ago & has been working ever since.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

So its OK with you if people who are sick & can't work don't get medical help if they are over 21 even if it leads to their death, right?

Old 01-21-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Welcome to the world of health care rationing. Do you think that countries with universal health care don't ration it out, or is every Tom, Dick, and Harry on the organ donor waitlist automatically given the greenlight irrespective of any factors such as age, other health conditions, likelihood of success, general health, etc.? I'm not saying it's right to put $$ ahead of people's lives, but let's put this in perspective and realize that this happens every single day in every country of the world regardless of the type of health care policies that are in place. People are routinely denied life saving procedures/medications/therapies because of costs when weighed in with other factors. Yes, it sucks. The state didn't give them a death sentence however. They can still fund the surgeries themselves, or finance them, or fundraise for the money for the surgeries.
I have heard it happens in other countries. I am not comfortable having it happen in mine.

The state did give them a certain death because many of these folks cannot work. As far as financing the cost themselves, how would they do that when their illness have already broke them & they are eligible for medicaid?
Yea fundraisers, lets talk about depending on the generosity of others.
Even with some very generous people, there are many who just can't afford to be so generous anymore due to their own hard times. There couldn't possibly be enough to fund 98 transplants given.
Not a death sentence?
Are you comfortable with a few politicians making the decision to single out a certain group of ill folks from the others & deciding to refuse them the funds to save their lives?
I am not nor will I ever be & yes it is a death sentence for these people, & without a trial in my country........very sad.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
The people who need the transplants can't work because they are sick.
There is one state worker here who had a transplant 10 yrs ago & has been working ever since.
But adults are capable of finding work. If they can't find work where they are, move to where work is.

I see full time jobs open all the time, but they are in areas where people aren't living.

Move there, you're an adult, you can do that. As an adult, your decisions have consequences.

I'm actually for a universal healthcare system, but trying to make me feel woe is me because someone who is 21 and they don't want to go to work isn't going to work.

If you're to sick to work, you can get disability and medicare/medicaid.

The system protects those who can't protect themselves. Its been that way for a long time.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
So its OK with you if people who are sick & can't work don't get medical help if they are over 21 even if it leads to their death, right?
If you physically can't work, then you can get disability, and be on medicare/medicaid. Those programs will take care of your problems.

If you are able to work, and just don't want to, well thats life.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:25 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,202,186 times
You people don't seem to get this. People can buy health insurance if they're HEALTHY. If you're not, under the old system, you could be dropped by your insurer if you got sick, and then in turn denied coverage by a new insurer because you have a preexisting condition. You were screwed.

No one is asking for "free" insurance for everyone. Do you understand that? Under HCR, your health care isn't provided by the government either, and it's still run through insurance companies.

One of the biggest issues in HCR is making companies insure people regardless of risk, so that they can't drop them, or refuse to add them, by creating a high risk pool. The people in the pool aren't getting free insurance--they're paying for it. In order to assume the financial risk of insuring sick people, they're requiring everyone to purchase or have insurance--it lowers the risk pool, because some normally healthy people decide to risk it, and they're not responsible enough to purchase insurance themselves--that lowers the risk pool for the companies.

If you don't care how a lack of health care impacts sick people, then maybe it helps to check how it impacts your own wallet. When people don't have health insurance, or can't get health insurance, and they get sick, it's already costing tax payers a fortune. They don't seek treatment early in a disease, so they finally go to the doctor when they're really sick, and treatment is much more expensive. They go to emergency rooms for something that could be handled in a physicans office, which drives up costs for everyone. If they become so ill that they can't work, they go on disability and medicaid. Which would you rather do--set up a program where we can all purchase insurance, or pay for people through the welfare system?

Old 01-21-2011, 05:31 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,819,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
No, I support regulating insurance companies so children will not get dropped or denied coverage. Why do you support ending protections for our children?
I am pretty sure you could get a job with msnbc with your line of questioning.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
You people don't seem to get this. People can buy health insurance if they're HEALTHY. If you're not, under the old system, you could be dropped by your insurer if you got sick, and then in turn denied coverage by a new insurer because you have a preexisting condition. You were screwed.

No one is asking for "free" insurance for everyone. Do you understand that? Under HCR, your health care isn't provided by the government either, and it's still run through insurance companies.
Yes, and thats one of the best parts of the bill.

What I'm saying is the people who are crying about "the kids" and "oh these poor people who are dying without insurance" are forgetting several important points.

1. All Children in the United States up to the age of 19 can get health insurance. Either you make enough money to pay for it, or the state and feds pay for it. But every child has been covered, are covered, and will be covered with or without the healthcare bill.

2. Most adults can afford insurance, its just that many don't because they'd rather have a nicer car.

I know healthcare costs are going up, and I know that if you had a preexisting condition then you could be dropped under certain plans. But there were plans that didn't do that.

I like part of the Obama plan, I disagree with a individual mandate. Actually, I'd prefer a single payer system, also known as universal care. But unlike some people, I think that this care should be limited to a specific amount. Then you can buy supplemental insurance to make up the difference if you want other things done for you.

But the fact remains, we can't afford to take care of everyone, every need, all the time. Thats just not possible without MASSIVE increases in spending and a completely new healthcare system.

So I tell Republicans, yep, there'll be death panels, there'll be waiting periods, there'll be all of that stuff you hate. So if you don't want that, then buy a supplemental insurance plan so you don't have to deal with that stuff. And I tell Democrats, hey, everyone is covered with a minimum amount of care, so no one is going untreated, but they may not get the best treatment possible.

You shouldn't be able to buy lobster on food stamps, if you lose your leg on government insurance, you may get a chair and not an artificial limb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies