Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 08:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Regulations and rules, decide who can and who cannot. It decides the haves and the have nots. More so, what starts out as a good idea, the wealthy have a way around it, while it traps those that cannot compete on a monetary level. Crushing them and suppressing them further.
Yes..the small guy will never be able to work their way up and compete these days with the big boyz.

And the noose is only getting tighter. That's one reason why "organic" is now owned by big Ag. The government took it over and "regulations" put in place. Now only the big boyz can afford that label.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:44 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post

The top 1 percent in our nation now control 43 percent of all financial wealth.

So what??? Why are you concerned about what other people have ???

Old 01-23-2011, 10:48 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Hell yes I am, if they have hundreds of times what their hardworking fellow citizens have. This country enables stock swapping frat boy weasels and gang bang rappers to earn 50 times what a world class neurosurgeon or Nobel Laureate makes. Our capitalistic system creates incredible disparities that serve noone. Does the person who makes $50 million a year need a similar tax rate to a gardener making $30k/year? Warren Buffet wants to give back for precisely this reason. He knows the system rewarded a stock investor out of all proportion with his real societal contribution. And a true hero that really EARNED $50 million doing something worthwhile would likely give it away anyway. Why not give from your tremendous wealth to those less fortunate? That seems in tune with the Christian principles our country claims to espouse.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:25 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Are you delusional? Do you have any idea what an enormous stratification of wealth and power does to a society? The wealthiest people in America wield an incredible amount of influence, and they use it to bend the rules in their favor.

I've read so much hogwash on these forums insinuating that the rich shouldn't be taxed because they stimulate the economy and create jobs, but a lack of control over the financial elite has recently led to a devastating economic downfall, and when they are successful, it is largely due to shipping jobs overseas in order to exploit foreign labor more profitably. The notion that the most powerful corporations are friends of the United States is laughable; multinational corporations are just that, and they owe no allegiance to any nation.

We can look at the ridiculous lobbying culture in Washington, or the slow progress of campaign finance reform. We can consider the fact that nobody on this forum talks much about Citizens United vs. Federal Election Committee, a Supreme Court case that lends more power to corporations, nor does the upcoming Comcast-NBC Universal merger seem to trouble very many people.

Social mobility is decreasing and the gap between the rich and the poor widens, as a supposedly liberal president finally drops the facade and reveals himself as an openly corporatist centrist. JPMorgan Chase's William M. Daley as Chief of Staff? GE's Jeffrey Immelt as Chairperson of the Council on Jobs and Competitiveness? The accelerated privatization of prisons, defense, schools? The rising cost of college tuition? Healthcare reform that makes us buy from private entities? All these things point to a deregulative ethos which will exacerbate the growing schism that will inevitably crush the middle class and everyone below, and many of you all will be jawing about how wacky and dumb Sarah Palin is, or how much of Islamo-Communist Obama is, or what Glenn Beck crapped out of his mouth hole last night.

It baffles me that the one thing that right-wingers and left-wingers should be vocally angry about, the rising power of American corporate elites, is somehow a topic that turns so many posters on this forum into defensive apologists.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:40 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Are you delusional? Do you have any idea what an enormous stratification of wealth and power does to a society? The wealthiest people in America wield an incredible amount of influence, and they use it to bend the rules in their favor.

I've read so much hogwash on these forums insinuating that the rich shouldn't be taxed because they stimulate the economy and create jobs, but a lack of control over the financial elite has recently led to a devastating economic downfall, and when they are successful, it is largely due to shipping jobs overseas in order to exploit foreign labor more profitably. The notion that the most powerful corporations are friends of the United States is laughable; multinational corporations are just that, and they owe no allegiance to any nation.

We can look at the ridiculous lobbying culture in Washington, or the slow progress of campaign finance reform. We can consider the fact that nobody on this forum talks much about Citizens United vs. Federal Election Committee, a Supreme Court case that lends more power to corporations, nor does the upcoming Comcast-NBC Universal merger seem to trouble very many people.

Social mobility is decreasing and the gap between the rich and the poor widens, as a supposedly liberal president finally drops the facade and reveals himself as an openly corporatist centrist. JPMorgan Chase's William M. Daley as Chief of Staff? GE's Jeffrey Immelt as Chairperson of the Council on Jobs and Competitiveness? The accelerated privatization of prisons, defense, schools? The rising cost of college tuition? Healthcare reform that makes us buy from private entities? All these things point to a deregulative ethos which will exacerbate the growing schism that will inevitably crush the middle class and everyone below, and many of you all will be jawing about how wacky and dumb Sarah Palin is, or how much of Islamo-Communist Obama is, or what Glenn Beck crapped out of his mouth hole last night.

It baffles me that the one thing that right-wingers and left-wingers should be vocally angry about, the rising power of American corporate elites, is somehow a topic that turns so many posters on this forum into defensive apologists.
Nice try buddy. My elites are those EcoFemiNazis that drive Volvos and listen to the Indigo Girls while eating vegan wraps and listening to NPR. You know they volunteer for the Sierra Club any chance they get and want to put a rainbow banner on Old Glory! Show a bit more respect when you are talking about God-fearing American entrepreneurs, they are a special breed, and the man upstairs knows it. Self-hewn from the granite and timber of American genius, industry, and thrift. How dare you question their hard-earned billions! Without them we would have nothing left but free love, pot smokers, and vegetarian restaurants!

Old 01-24-2011, 12:08 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Peak oil and food shortages will be the last straw that causes joe sixpack to revolt. The elites will be fleeing the country long before that happens in my opinion. I have never seen as many people wise to the scam we call the USA before now. They can speak about the Fed and its funny money, as well as many other subjects relating to government corruption. Only a hungry public at the end of its rope will begin to dismantle the system. Contrary to common belief, the elites are unable to survive without the lower income groups to support them. Peak oil will reverse the globalization trend, big ag and "free trade". You can print funny money forever, but you cannot fool mother nature.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:38 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,737,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes..the small guy will never be able to work their way up and compete these days with the big boyz.

And the noose is only getting tighter. That's one reason why "organic" is now owned by big Ag. The government took it over and "regulations" put in place. Now only the big boyz can afford that label.
I am now seeing products that say 'not made with genetically altered so and so', does this mean that the other products ARE using them?

Old 01-24-2011, 03:40 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It's incredible to think that some believe the rich need bigger tax cuts. Even Ben Stein says the rich should pay more.
So let those who want to pay more pay more.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Extreme, but where we are headed if this continues.

Not something I would be part of, but something I see coming unless things change.

He who does not learn from history is doomed to repeat it.

The same thing happened in the 1930's wherein a small minority controlled the majority of the nations wealth, and then the depression happened.
That is not what caused the depression.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Just **** and take it.

You and many like you assume too much.

You think that all that complain must be living a lowly life and must be ill educated.

I can assure you I have done quite well for myself and have plenty of savings in the bank as well, but that does not mean I do not see what is happening either.

For the good of the nation, I would be willing to loose all my savings, and even my house if it helped the country, if the dollar collapsed.

I would be willing to help others in such a need and it would pull the country together, after the government and parasites attached to it collapsed
Why not take your savings and open a business, pay a living wage and give your employees health insurance?

That would do wonders for the economy.

Or do you really want to wait until everything crumbles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies