Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has Obama met or exceeded your expectations as a Black President
Less than expected 56 68.29%
Better that expected 26 31.71%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 12:34 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Oops. Guess I shouldn't have participated in the poll, since I didn't vote for him because he's black... I'm stupid apparently, because I actually choose a president based on their inner qualities and beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 01:12 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
The interesting thing to me is that technically I don't consider Obama black.

Wasn't he raised by white grandparents? I know his mother was white. So he obviously had a lot of influence by his whte family and it seems his father deserted him. So really it seeems like he had little black influence. So in my mind he is not truly a "black president" as say, Alan Keyes would have been if he would have won the republican ticket.
LMAO!

Funny how a man can't even be black even when he says he is.

That is of course, unless he does something bad or illegal...then he can't be black enough.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't know anyone who voted for him based on his skin color - even partially.
Neither do i, and the people who claim to know people who did are full of it.

In any case, Obama is met my expectations. Can't say that he exceeded them because i didn't expect too much to begin with.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:24 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Neither do i, and the people who claim to know people who did are full of it.

In any case, Obama is met my expectations. Can't say that he exceeded them because i didn't expect too much to begin with.
That's a rather narrow view of the world. Actually had arguments with people that TOLD me they were voting for Obama only due to his being black. My argument, by the way, was not that they not vote for him but rather they vote based on policies and not skin color. For those that did vote for him based upon policy, fine, even if I disagree but to vote for someone just because that person is black, a woman, a Christian, or whatever is just plain silly.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
That's a rather narrow view of the world. Actually had arguments with people that TOLD me they were voting for Obama only due to his being black. My argument, by the way, was not that they not vote for him but rather they vote based on policies and not skin color. For those that did vote for him based upon policy, fine, even if I disagree but to vote for someone just because that person is black, a woman, a Christian, or whatever is just plain silly.
So have you been just as emphatic in past elections with people about not voting for people just for being Christians, white, women, etc?

I mean full blown arguments, like you claim to have had with Obama voters?

Old 01-22-2011, 01:33 AM

Quote:
So have you been just as emphatic in past elections with people about not voting for people just for being Christians, white, women, etc?

I mean full blown arguments, like you claim to have had with Obama voters?
Actually I have and did when people told me that they were voting for Bush due to his religious views but couldn't tell me a single policy he was advocating. Also, when people told me that they voted for Carter because he was from the South; being from Georgia had what effect upon his policies again? I make my decisions based upon policy. That's really what matters.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:35 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Oops. Guess I shouldn't have participated in the poll, since I didn't vote for him because he's black... I'm stupid apparently, because I actually choose a president based on their inner qualities and beliefs.
I'm on other side of the same camp. I didn't vote against him because he's black, but because he doesn't represent the core values, beliefs and philosophies that I want projected from the Oval Office.

Last edited by Bideshi; 01-22-2011 at 01:46 AM..

Old 01-22-2011, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Actually I have and did when people told me that they were voting for Bush due to his religious views but couldn't tell me a single policy he was advocating. Also, when people told me that they voted for Carter because he was from the South; being from Georgia had what effect upon his policies again? I make my decisions based upon policy. That's really what matters.
Hmmm....

So why haven't i heard as much hue and cry about those things (you acknowledged that they happened too) as i hear about people voting for Obama because he's black?

Certainly, there are more Christians in America than there are Blacks. If millions voted for Bush because he was a Christian, or southerners for Carter cuz he's from Georgia, where was all the rancor?

Old 01-22-2011, 02:00 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
That just sounds absurd. You're essentially saying that they didn't vote for McCain because he's white.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Hmmm....

So why haven't i heard as much hue and cry about those things (you acknowledged that they happened too) as i hear about people voting for Obama because he's black?

Certainly, there are more Christians in America than there are Blacks. If millions voted for Bush because he was a Christian, or southerners for Carter cuz he's from Georgia, where was all the rancor?
Can't speak for everyone else since you asked if I personally had spoken out about this type of demographic voting, and I did so. In addition, you said that you had never met anyone that voted for Obama solely based on his skin color and anyone that says they did meet someone who did so was full of it. Again, I was simply pointing out that there did indeed people who did vote for Obama solely based on his skin color.

I don't suspect you'll find widespread rancor about Bush or Carter as again, that was a more personal anecdotal evidence. I do believe, however, you will find this with a female candidate. Primarily due to being the "first" of something whereas there were other Christians and Southerners that have held the office of President. Nonetheless, just because you have the potential to be "first" in something is not a reason to vote for that person; vote on policies. Even though I would love to see a female President, I would not vote for her just because she were a woman, as I suspect some would. I would vote for the policies. I feel a responsibility as a voter to actually study and think before I visit the ballot box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies