Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 09:49 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,707,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC475 View Post
Wonk Room » Two More Republicans Who Ran Against Health Reform Opt-Out Of Federal Health Benefits

Responding to Rep.-elect Andy Harris’ (R-MD) hypocritical demand for government-sponsored benefits, Rep. Joe Crowley (D-NY) began circulating a letter among his Democratic colleagues calling on Harris and other members of Congress who want to repeal the new health care law to forego their own government health care plans. Two incoming Republican freshmen — Rep.-elect Mike Kelly (PA) and Rep.-elect Bobby Schilling (IL) — agreed to the deal immediately and now two others, Reps. Tim Walberg (MI) and Bill Johnson (OH) have also pledged to opt out of the federal employees’ health program:

- TIM WALBERG (R-MI): “Walberg didn’t take the federal plan during his first term in Congress, either. Walberg receives free health-care stemming from his 16-years in the state legislature.”

- BILL JOHNSON (R-OH): “This is one substantial way I can show that my commitment to the people of eastern and southern Ohio is to help them, not to gain exclusive benefits for myself,” he said, in a news release issued by his office. Johnson is not be going to be without health insurance coverage, however. He has health insurance available to him as a retired U.S. Air Force officer.
To be fair, these latter additions are still receiving health benefits from the government. Walberg is drawing on state benefits, while Johnson will be dependent on the military system, which is funded with federal taxes. Kelly and Schilling, meanwhile, will receive employer-sponsored coverage through their businesses.

I think it is telling that the left can't distinguish between benefits associated with work and welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 09:53 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,968,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I think it is telling that the left can't distinguish between benefits associated with work and welfare.

Exactly! +1

I restate:

The only hypocrisy are those Democrats that voted for ObamaCare for us peons while they themselves keep their cadillac Congressional HC plan.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:03 AM

5,346 posts, read 4,035,312 times
Welfare?... Is that what they do in Canada and Europe?...

Old 01-22-2011, 10:03 AM

58,643 posts, read 26,945,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC475 View Post
Wonk Room » Two More Republicans Who Ran Against Health Reform Opt-Out Of Federal Health Benefits

Responding to Rep.-elect Andy Harris’ (R-MD) hypocritical demand for government-sponsored benefits, Rep. Joe Crowley (D-NY) began circulating a letter among his Democratic colleagues calling on Harris and other members of Congress who want to repeal the new health care law to forego their own government health care plans. Two incoming Republican freshmen — Rep.-elect Mike Kelly (PA) and Rep.-elect Bobby Schilling (IL) — agreed to the deal immediately and now two others, Reps. Tim Walberg (MI) and Bill Johnson (OH) have also pledged to opt out of the federal employees’ health program:

- TIM WALBERG (R-MI): “Walberg didn’t take the federal plan during his first term in Congress, either. Walberg receives free health-care stemming from his 16-years in the state legislature.”

- BILL JOHNSON (R-OH): “This is one substantial way I can show that my commitment to the people of eastern and southern Ohio is to help them, not to gain exclusive benefits for myself,” he said, in a news release issued by his office. Johnson is not be going to be without health insurance coverage, however. He has health insurance available to him as a retired U.S. Air Force officer.
To be fair, these latter additions are still receiving health benefits from the government. Walberg is drawing on state benefits, while Johnson will be dependent on the military system, which is funded with federal taxes. Kelly and Schilling, meanwhile, will receive employer-sponsored coverage through their businesses.
So, you are saying the republicans should enroll in Obama Care even though they voted against it? Makes no sense to me.

It is the dems who should be dropping the fed gov't health care plan and enrolling in Obama Care because they are the ones who voted for it.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
So, you are saying the republicans should enroll in Obama Care even though they voted against it? Makes no sense to me.

It is the dems who should be dropping the fed gov't health care plan and enrolling in Obama Care because they are the ones who voted for it.
Your so-called "Obamacare" is actually cheaper...

Old 01-22-2011, 10:49 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,428,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
How many Democrats that voted FOR ObamaCare will waive their Cadillac Congressional Heath Care plan?
Quote:
The only GOTCHA here are DEMOCRATS that voted for ObamaCare for we peons while refusing to give up THEIR cadillac Congressional Health Care.
It seems to me I've responded to variations of this falsehood several times now. I guess that for some people, if they hear it on talk radio, it's GOT to be true. However, in this case, it's not.

Members of Congress and their staff are the only group specifically mandated in the health care bill to switch to a health plan offered by the health exchange that will be established by 2014.

Section 1312 of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (H.R. 3590), (D) Empowering Consumer Choice, (3) Voluntary Nature of an Exchange:
(A) CHOICE TO ENROLL OR NOT TO ENROLL. Nothing in this title shall be construed to restrict the choice of a qualified individual to enroll or not to enroll in a qualified health plan or to participate in an Exchange.
(B) PROHIBITION AGAINST COMPELLED ENROLLMENT. Nothing in this title shall be construed to compel an individual to enroll in a qualified health plan or to participate in an Exchange.
(C) INDIVIDUALS ALLOWED TO ENROLL IN ANY PLAN. A qualified individual may enroll in any qualified health plan, except that in the case of a catastrophic plan described in section156 1302(e), a qualified individual may enroll in the plan only if the individual is eligible to enroll in the plan under section 1302 (e)(2).
(D) MEMBERS OF CONGRESS IN THE EXCHANGE.
(i) REQUIREMENT. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, after the effective date of this subtitle, the only health plans that the Federal Government may make available to Members of Congress and congressional staff with respect to their service as a Member of Congress or congressional staff shall be health plans that are
(I) created under this Act (or an amendment made by this Act); or
(II) offered through an Exchange established under this Act (or an amendment made by this Act).
(ii) DEFINITIONS. In this section:
(I) MEMBER OF CONGRESS. The term Member of Congress means any member of the House of Representatives or the Senate.
(II) CONGRESSIONAL STAFF. The term congressional staff means all full-time and part-time employees employed by the official office of a Member of Congress, whether in Washington, DC or outside of Washington, DC.
In other words, in 2014 Members of Congress will not be covered by the health care insurance currently offered to all federal employees through the Federal Employees Health Plan, but must instead pick from among health care insurance options offered through the Exchange.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:20 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,968,761 times
If that's true (and I'm not even sure it is?) then that's even more of a reason that there's no gotcha to the OP's assertions of hypocrisy.

But I wonder...if that's true, why then does this Congress member think there's need for a bill to close a loophole:

LaTourette also plans to be a cosponsor on a soon to be introduced bill that will close this loophole that makes congressional committee staff and leadership staff, plus leadership, exempt from using the health insurance exchange in 2014.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
It seems to me I've responded to variations of this falsehood several times now. I guess that for some people, if they hear it on talk radio, it's GOT to be true. However, in this case, it's not.

Members of Congress and their staff are the only group specifically mandated in the health care bill to switch to a health plan offered by the health exchange that will be established by 2014.

Section 1312 of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (H.R. 3590), (D) Empowering Consumer Choice, (3) Voluntary Nature of an Exchange:
(A) CHOICE TO ENROLL OR NOT TO ENROLL. Nothing in this title shall be construed to restrict the choice of a qualified individual to enroll or not to enroll in a qualified health plan or to participate in an Exchange.
(B) PROHIBITION AGAINST COMPELLED ENROLLMENT. Nothing in this title shall be construed to compel an individual to enroll in a qualified health plan or to participate in an Exchange.
(C) INDIVIDUALS ALLOWED TO ENROLL IN ANY PLAN. A qualified individual may enroll in any qualified health plan, except that in the case of a catastrophic plan described in section156 1302(e), a qualified individual may enroll in the plan only if the individual is eligible to enroll in the plan under section 1302 (e)(2).
(D) MEMBERS OF CONGRESS IN THE EXCHANGE.
(i) REQUIREMENT. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, after the effective date of this subtitle, the only health plans that the Federal Government may make available to Members of Congress and congressional staff with respect to their service as a Member of Congress or congressional staff shall be health plans that are
(I) created under this Act (or an amendment made by this Act); or
(II) offered through an Exchange established under this Act (or an amendment made by this Act).
(ii) DEFINITIONS. In this section:
(I) MEMBER OF CONGRESS. The term Member of Congress means any member of the House of Representatives or the Senate.
(II) CONGRESSIONAL STAFF. The term congressional staff means all full-time and part-time employees employed by the official office of a Member of Congress, whether in Washington, DC or outside of Washington, DC.
In other words, in 2014 Members of Congress will not be covered by the health care insurance currently offered to all federal employees through the Federal Employees Health Plan, but must instead pick from among health care insurance options offered through the Exchange.
Unless their current Health Plan will be part of the exchange... Which it will be...
No one has to cancel their current plan... If they like their current Health Plan they can keep it...

Old 01-22-2011, 02:49 PM

38,611 posts, read 26,267,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
They can now, just like you will be able to, purchase more extensive plans. The hypocrisy is those in Congress that do not want you to have that option.

Option?

The reason Obamacare is being challenged in court by 26 states is because signing up for it is not an option. It is mandated, and the Constitution does not give Congress authority to mandate any citizen purchase insurance.

This has what to do with benefits provided members of Congress except none of them are mandated to purchase insurance?

How about the liberal politicians who decided try to force this on us decline their insurance in favor of paying out of their own pockets for the same crap insurance the rest of us would be forced to purchase?

Old 01-22-2011, 03:22 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,975,273 times
Quote:
A BETTER question is:

How many Democrats that voted FOR ObamaCare will waive their Cadillac Congressional Heath Care plan?

Or is it good enough for thee but not for me?
Why is this a better question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies