Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you admire Jim DeMint for taking a stand against gays?
Yes, I admire him for this 18 19.15%
No, I do not 71 75.53%
Not sure / No opinion 5 5.32%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 02:40 PM

183 posts, read 458,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
His actions are those of a prejudiced bigot, wouldn't you say? How can one interpret them otherwise - he's essentially saying "I will not share a forum with gays".
He reminds me of the guys at the far-right World Net Daily. Even if you're a hard-core conservative, the moment you consider that gays are human beings, you're automatically a leftist in their eyes.

Quote:
I don't think there are any. People who decide that gays/blacks/women/Irish are inferior not because of their attitudes and actions, but because of what they are can't be dealt with using logic or reason, because those are not the tools they used to form their opinion in the first place.
Exactly. People who think logically and use common sense are less likely to be prejudiced than people who don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 04:27 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
You really need to know a little more about Jim Demint before you start refuting that.

I know him. Do you?
Another, "I know every thing and you don't" comment.

You are exactly like the poster. "if you don't agree with me you, you don't know anything".

"My point of view is the only one that counts".

Shish!

Let me take a wild guess. You vote democrat and have never voted for DeMint..

Old 01-23-2011, 04:34 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,498,039 times
Little do they know that the only thing that some of them are accomplishing is an early death for the Republican Party. The majority of the new generation won't join a party like that (in fact, a lot of people I know plan to be independents).

Old 01-23-2011, 04:40 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
It's more than that ... it is a direct attack on one's upbringing

Our government is telling us to disregard how we were raised when while we were raised that way things like sodomy were CRIMINAL ... a should still be that way!

While it was illegal - it was a personal affair kept behind closed doors and not flaunted in the face's of those who object to such things
Kind of like interracial marriage and the traditional roles of blacks in the south precivil rights?

Old 01-23-2011, 05:01 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
No I am not paid or unpaid by any group. I support Republicans over Democrats because I do not support much of what they support, like homosexuality which mainstreams their sexual perversion. Some things have no place in a decent society. I will vote for most any Republican over a Democrat if it means the lessor of two evils. Personally I would like to see both major parties gone.
Yeah, but about 99% of your posts are about gays. Is there something from your past that troubles you?

Old 01-23-2011, 05:05 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Don't understand why there are people saying he's just now showing his true colors or some other such thing. DeMint, when he was campaigning, was very clear about his social platform. He was always anti-gay, amongst other things. He was still elected. Would that not be staying to true to himself? Even if you disagree with him, you can't call DeMint a hypocrite on this one. Rather than bash him, wouldn't it serve to try and put candidates that can run and win against him? Including in the primaries?
Would south carolinians elect a non-bigot?

why can't you all be nice and like everyone like those ladies from the movie "steel magnolias"?

Old 01-23-2011, 05:13 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I did not expect them to represent the GOP, but now that so many within the GOP have shown their true colors I doubt many gays will be voting for GOP candidates, why on earth would they. You may say so what but your forgetting that there are Millions of gay voters and Millions of Independent voters that also look at the GOP action as being homophobic and against what many Independent voters believe personally and they will weigh that failure on the part of the GOP as one facture when voting. So, poopoo what it means but even relatively small numbers can make a difference if they get together and come out in mass during elections. Let me add a bit of reality to the election process in this country. During years where we not only vote for members of Congress but also on the President the voters tend to show up in high numbers. But, during midterm elections far fewer voters actually take part in the process and due to that low turn out small groups have have a higher than normal impact on the election especially if they are closely organized and aligned. This means that even though things may go well for one Party during midterm elections they should not count on the same ratios when the vast majority vote, the voting blocks are far different. The next two years will be very interesting, Congress (Repubs) are now also on the hot seat, no more whining without any real actions that get the issues addressed, just cutting spending across the board will not be enough. If they perform poorly they will lose their majority once again. I hope they do well because I believe in having balance and that requires one Party to hold power in one area and the other Party having control of another. That is, ONLY if the two can work together and accomplish the job they need to address, if they do not I and many voters will remove them. As for the Whitehouse, we shall see who runs, at this point in time we are 99% sure President Obama will run again as the Democratic candidate. As for the GOP or any Independent candidates we have a harder time nailing down the players. Will Palin run, my guess is yes, not a good thing for the GOP. If they are smart the GOP will bribe her to bow out of the race early on, yes she can be bribed, give her attention and money and she will probably bow out, of-course claiming it is too much stress on her children. As for the viable candidates from the GOP, we shall see Huckabee and Romney are retreads from the last election and neither is that popular within their own Party. What the GOP needs is a fresh face, someone that has a proven track record and real ideas to discuss, without that and without Palin out of the race the GOP does not stand a chance in Hades of winning the Whitehouse back in 2012.
Casper

I agree with the majority of your post (the gay stuff not withstanding)
I think that the GOP should not bow down to Palin at all. If Palin decides to run then she will be treated like Ron Paul was in 2008. The GOP nominee needs to be a fresh face! How about Pawlenty? or Gingrich?
As for the current GOP controlled congress... They can only do so so much, BUT they need to do it. If the house pushes sensible conservative legislation then they will be ok. If it gets knocked down in the Senate then thats ok.-- the Dems will pay the price in 2012.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:22 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Would south carolinians elect a non-bigot?

why can't you all be nice and like everyone like those ladies from the movie "steel magnolias"?
Steel Magnolias is my favorite movie! But that's off topic.

Actually, South Carolina does and has elected non-bigots. Take a look at Tim Scott, our 1st District Representative. He's one to keep an eye on. If a reasonable candidate had been run against DeMint in the primaries, I believe we would have a different Senator, but we didn't.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:23 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Oh this is absurd. Utterly and completely absurd. We have a gay Republican Mayor who has been re-elected twice - by HUGE margins. He even has support from <gasp> liberal Democrats. And he's even married and brings his husband to events (oh the humanity!).

Paul Koering is an openly gay (Catholic!) Republican, elected to the Minnesota State Senate.

Richard Tisei is an openly gay Republican, not only serving in the Massachusetts State Senate, but he is the Party's Minority Leader!

And guess what, these men focus on their jobs just like everybody else. They're not talking about their gayness "all the time". More than some, apparently.
Did you read my post? I specifically said that open gays would have a tough time IF they flaunted their homosexuality.
Your point about serious politicians who happen to be gay is noted. But you aren't saying anything that contradicts my post.
People have the choice to be gay or not... it's their choice, and nobody can really change that. The problem is when people (i.e. gays) go out of their way to shove it down our throats. If a prostitute walks around dressed like one then she will get a certain response. Likewise, if a gay person decides to dress and act like a flaming homo then he will get reactions that he may not like.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:23 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
I agree with the majority of your post (the gay stuff not withstanding)
I think that the GOP should not bow down to Palin at all. If Palin decides to run then she will be treated like Ron Paul was in 2008. The GOP nominee needs to be a fresh face! How about Pawlenty? or Gingrich?
As for the current GOP controlled congress... They can only do so so much, BUT they need to do it. If the house pushes sensible conservative legislation then they will be ok. If it gets knocked down in the Senate then thats ok.-- the Dems will pay the price in 2012.
You are mentioning fresh face for the GOP and Gingrich is the same sentence??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies