Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 01:11 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,345,372 times

Advertisements

Unless they are talking about a charity - kids with cancer, etc.... but politics and economics - NO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 01:19 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Somebody mentioned Will Smith. Originally for, now against. What swayed him? For one. I'd like to see his voting record. I wonder if he even takes time out of his busy life to vote.

I listen to about half of what celebs say. And then I research what they've said. Some have been open and honest about things. Some come up with such big rants that make absolutely no difference to mankind and they blow it into biblical proportion and get everybody worked up on it. Just so they can say they had a sway in society.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:20 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toninole View Post
I hear a lot of conservatives talk about how celebrities should just "shut up and sing" (act, dance, etc).

I'm just wondering how you guys feel about it. Should a citizen who has become famous or wealthy be allowed to form and voice an opinion like any other citizen or does entering the entertainment industry strip them of their rights?

My personal opinion is that this is all a bunch of sour grapes. If there were more conservative entertainers speaking out then you wouldn't hear this. For instance, when Bruce Willis supports the war (he doesn't any longer, but when he did) - I never heard ONE conservative question his right to an opinion.

They're human beings...they have a right to their opinon, but I believe the sour grapes goes a lot deeper then just opinon...face it, celebraties buy special interests...they can, they've got the money, and I think that ruffles feathers big time...

Old 07-18-2007, 01:38 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,743,293 times
No problem, as long as they include the name of the scriptwriter or moveon.org blogger, that wrote the words for them.
As far as I’m concerned they are over paid entertainers and that’s it. The most vocal are hypocrites, Rosie says I shouldn’t be allowed to own a gun and she travels with armed body guards. They tell us we need to be “carbon neutral” while traveling in private jets and multi-SUV entourages.
If you like what you hear from celebrities and I’m sure you do, and you want to follow their every word that’s up to you. As for me, I really don’t want to know Paris Hilton’s opinion on world events.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:04 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,552,765 times
Why SHOULDN'T we listen to celebrities? Who else CAN we listen to? Aren't George Bush, Hillary Clinton, Barak Obama, and John McCain celebrities? Don't they go to the head of the line at the airport, and have other people open their car doors? Do they answer their own phones? They're all CELEBRITIES !!
I'm no fan of Paris Hilton or Rosie O'Donnell. But at least when I listen to them, it doesn't raise my blood pressure. They don't have the power to destroy my country, and their b*ll**** is out in the open--- BRING ON THE CELEBRITIES !! They can't POSSIBLY say anything that would shock us, after what those "DC" celebrities have put us through.......

Old 07-18-2007, 02:13 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,581,431 times
They are celebrities because they're good performers - not because they're necessarily smart people. Their political views are no more relevant than mine and probably less informed than mine. I'm fine with them having opinions but I don't think they should hijack their celebrity status to try to force their opinions on everyone else.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:17 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,552,765 times
Default Confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
They are celebrities because they're good performers - not because they're necessarily smart people. Their political views are no more relevant than mine and probably less informed than mine. I'm fine with them having opinions but I don't think they should hijack their celebrity status to try to force their opinions on everyone else.
I hear you, but am a little confused. When you refer to them being "not necessarily smart people", and of "trying to force their opinions on everyone else", are you referring to the Hollywood celebrities, or the Washington DC celebrities?.....There's quite a bit of overlap between the two groups.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:21 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
They're human beings...they have a right to their opinon, but I believe the sour grapes goes a lot deeper then just opinon...face it, celebraties buy special interests...they can, they've got the money, and I think that ruffles feathers big time...
Or, special interests buy the celebraties.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:23 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,581,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I hear you, but am a little confused. When you refer to them being "not necessarily smart people", and of "trying to force their opinions on everyone else", are you referring to the Hollywood celebrities, or the Washington DC celebrities?.....There's quite a bit of overlap between the two groups.
I agree with you on that one. The difference is that people in Washington were chosen and are known because people decided that it was their political views that were of value (or more value than someone else's). People in Hollywood are known because of their talent (some of that is questionable too) as a performer not because people wanted to know about their political views.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:25 PM

467 posts, read 324,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
No problem, as long as they include the name of the scriptwriter or moveon.org blogger, that wrote the words for them.
As far as I’m concerned they are over paid entertainers and that’s it. The most vocal are hypocrites, Rosie says I shouldn’t be allowed to own a gun and she travels with armed body guards. They tell us we need to be “carbon neutral” while traveling in private jets and multi-SUV entourages.
If you like what you hear from celebrities and I’m sure you do, and you want to follow their every word that’s up to you. As for me, I really don’t want to know Paris Hilton’s opinion on world events.
I suppose you understand that most politicians (both sides) have THEIR own writers and you don't see them giving credit to those writers.

I agree with you on the hypocrisy issue, but it cuts both ways. As for being carbon neutral - there is a certain amount of practicality that comes into play. The idea is to do something positive for the environment every time you do something negative. If you chop down a tree - plant two. If you fly in a plane, as my family does, then buy a terra pass that donates funds to organizations that are working on energy alternatives.

I do like to hear from celebrities. I don't always agree with them, but just like I come here to hear your views and you aren't an expert - I like to hear theirs as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies