Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 11:31 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
The simple question is this: If you know "gay" as a pejorative is offensive and insulting to people, and if you know that using it creates an atmosphere in which gay kids are bombarded with the message that gay=bad/wrong/negative (and other kids learn the message from you that it's okay to pick on gay people), then why would you choose to use it that way?

Yes you have the freedom to do it, but why would you?
And I'll present this to you yet another way:

Lets say the word "f - a -g" has more than one meaning .. which it does .. would you condone it's use to target a certain group of people exclusively?

It's not up to me to dictate what would be acceptable or not, and for me to apply exclusivity to a word that is clearly nonexclusive would be totally out of the question.

If teenagers want to use a word to mean one thing, and the word itself is the same word that a certain community is using to describe itself with a whole different meaning, then I don't know what to tell you.

The word means more than what the homosexual community wants it to mean .. and by that, it's not the word itself or it's meanings that has the problem .. it's the community trying to come to terms with the word, that I see as being the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 11:36 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
It wasn't that way before homosexuals hijacked the word "gay" for their own identity was it? Clue: no, it wasn't.

Some special interest groups create reasons to be offended. This is but one example. The use of the "N" word by blacks but outraged when used by non-blacks is but another example.

I'm offended that I cannot use the word "gay" without being labeled a bigot. How dare homosexuals lay their claim on that word! Censorship I tell you.
I tried to rep you, but have to spread more around.

I am so sick of special interest groups and their crying like babies every time they are offended. I will use the word gay whenever and however i want - if someone does not like it, don't listen.

499 posts, read 405,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
It's just a word. Words can have more than one meaning...
True. But you have to ask yourself what the predominant understanding is.

In this case, "gay" meaning "stupid" developed after "gay" meaning "homosexual"; while there mightn't be a direct relationship between the two definitions the former is common enough to make me wary of using it in the latter sense.

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Gay used to mean happy.

It became used in the homosexual community to mean Good As You.

At least that's what I've been told.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:39 AM

499 posts, read 405,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal;17554911[B
]It wasn't that way before homosexuals hijacked the word "gay" for their own identity was it? Clue: no, it wasn't.[/b]

Some special interest groups create reasons to be offended. This is but one example. The use of the "N" word by blacks but outraged when used by non-blacks is but another example.

I'm offended that I cannot use the word "gay" without being labeled a bigot. How dare homosexuals lay their claim on that word! Censorship I tell you.
Nobody "hijacked" anything; language usually evolves over time in a more organic manner. It takes time for a specific definition to take hold in public consciousness.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollymixture View Post
Nobody "hijacked" anything; language usually evolves over time in a more organic manner. It takes time for a specific definition to take hold in public consciousness.
The trouble is, that more often than not, over time, the word "gay" has been associated with more bad things than good ..

Gay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

at least, according to this

Old 01-24-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollymixture View Post
Words can mean different things to different people. If someone does not like a word another is using, don't listen. Get over it!

A group of people cannot label a words as bad because they feel it offends them and then expect people to feel bad using that word. Period.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
The trouble is, that more often than not, over time, the word "gay" has been associated with more bad things than good ..

Gay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

at least, according to this
So??? Doesn't mean it is always, 100 percent bad. That is just 'gay.' And it has also been a great day for me with some good news and I am in a 'gay' mood.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
So??? Doesn't mean it is always, 100 percent bad. That is just 'gay.' And it has also been a great day for me with some good news and I am in a 'gay' mood.
Well good for you .. I'm in a gay mood too ..

Old 01-24-2011, 11:48 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Well good for you .. I'm in a gay mood too ..
Well that's *****......

Would you believe that I can't say the word (sounds like beer but with a qu....)?

Doesn't it mean strange?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies