Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 04:15 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times

Advertisements

I am not sure I am aware of what the govt is up to this instant. They banned the mags and then that ban sunset... That was Bill Clintons Assault weapons ban written by VP Biden.

If there is a new ban being considered since the Az shooting where Giffords was shot down it's news to me. Most people don't seem to know Giffords was a gun owning woman who also rode motorcycles, what i hear is called a blue dog Democrate.

Most people seem to want to place the shooter on a party ticket too, and can't accept him for what he is a wacko, and nut even a gun nut wacko, since this seems to be his first and last gun.

The court decided the DC ban was doing no good and dropped it. Other courst are doing the same. This isn't good for the gun grabbers amoungst us a bit

Banning hi cap mags is fruitless. I nown several semi auto pistols, mostly 1911 types and they hold 7 regular capacity and 8 for the hi cap mags. I can swap these out in under a second, so if I carry 6 mags of 7 rnds each I command 42 rnds, almost as fast as i can pull the trigger.

With more practice than I currently get I could be faster.

There was a time when i shot a lot of 12 ga shells at clays with a side by side by side and was faster with that than with any other method to load a shot gun. It depends on what speed is for.

In this case we have a wacko with no practice at it seems commiting a dreadful crime. And yet like every other time it is the legal gun owners who is blamed.

'The People' want a means to end this, and like all of them I want that ending myself. I have since the day of Columbine, and am not knee jerking around.

The honest gun owners ALL want an end to this madness, I assure you I do, but banning things owned by the honest gunners is not the way to stop it.

This will not end untill there is a harsh price to be paid by the guilty, and then and only then will this end. This price will go to mark out in public what happens to the illegal violent offender, and make the crime so bad they will stop before they get started.

I for one have shot one down and after i did heard all the weeping about my good boy, who was tried and convicted 6 times and was still wanted for 6 more crimes.

That one won't bother anyone again. I don't care about good boys gone bad much less any that commit more violent crimes. Ya know i didn't even get so much as a free ride down town?

I was then what I am now either. I had no idea what was coming in the next decade. I didn't even know i would marry again, since at that time i was still married to my first wife.

I had no idea how hardened i would be forged by the system of injustice.

However from that first shooting to stop harm to my family as i was on the phone with one hand and the shot gun in the other, the words have never stopped echoing in my head.

'The police are not your personal body guards', and with those words in my ear i fired the shot gun.

I can't decide what is good for you, or how to determine what ways to order any guilt or if there should be any guilt, for stopping someone that would harm you and your family. I am lucky don't have to decide that for anyone.

I just have to decide what is best for me and mine. I want others to stop trying to decide what's best for me and mine too, and banning things made of metal is pointless, since i can make them myself.

I think a part of why other people feel it is fitting to decide forme is that they won't or can't bend metal or drill a stright hole, or something else I can do and they won't or can't.

I get paid a good wage to bend metal, move metal and drill holes in metal I cut. Stopping me from doing any of that is never going to happen. On dec 31st i broke my lefthand pinky finger, i lost a battle with some heavy metal, but i won the war. That part is on the shop floor, sitting in 0 degree cold this instant and did that day broken finger or no broken finger.

For grins i build my own from shop scrap flintlock guns. These are no kit guns to assemble in 2 hours time. I build these to be very much like the real thing, from the 1740's thru 1750's. I can build a modern gun with a lot less troubles.

Boring a barrel isn't hard, cutting land and grooves on a modern lath isn't hard at all, and bending a reciever on a metal brake is cake. Most any hardware store carries metals and plumbing supplies enough you can make a 9mm automatic Mac 10 like gun in a couple of hours.

So I really don't know what any ban might do. Can the govt ban any thinking? It looks like maybe they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 04:16 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
Perhaps you would need a pistol to defend against a home invasion, but if you outlaw guns that becomes less of an issue.
It does? Why & how does that hppen? Are those criminals that would break into the house & pose a threat to us going to obey the law against gun ownership while ignoring the ones against breaking & entering, theft assault, or rape? What if they all criminals do in fact abide by a prohibition against firearms, and just break into houses & assault people with knives instead of guns? Should we then make knives illegal too, to better protect ourselves from law abiding criminals?

Old 01-24-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
...and a cannon

I have a cannon. You can own one easy. Mine weighs 45 pounds, is 26 inches long and cast from a mold of an orginal made in around 1750 of real gun bronze. The bore fits a golf ball.

I'ld carry it concealed but I only weigh 155 pounds myself so it would be a tad cumbersum. The weight is the barrel alone, no carriage which will be oak, once I get the time to transfer the pattern from the current white pine

Old 01-24-2011, 04:22 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
I realize the second amendment guarantees our right to own a gun.
I am neither pro- or against-gun control. However this weekend I received an advertisement with the newspaper from a local sporting goods store. The multi-page magazine style ad focused on guns and many of the items made me ask the question "why would someone need this?"
The one that sticks out the most was a gattling gun replica which can shoot some crazy number of rounds per minute.
I understand people like to go hunting but you don't need pistols for that. Perhaps you would need a pistol to defend against a home invasion, but if you outlaw guns that becomes less of an issue.

I guess the main question is why do we need to have the right to own a gun?
I need a pistol so that if I am out in rural Alaska and fall down and break my ankle, I can shoot it off to show my location. Also to frighten away black bears.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:28 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetMePost View Post
Sure, he'd wish he had a gun. But you're missing the big picture here, which is how do you win that battle. You have your gun, but they have 100 stormtroopers outside plus a bunch of other toys. You're family's gonna be dead regardless, unless you're a Jedi Master of course. In which case, you don't need guns anyways.
How do YOU win that battle, it depends on your definition of winning, my definition of winning would depend on the situation but given the parameters it would be that I give my family the chance to escape (they may not escape, but at least if I gave them that chance), and that I do not die alone (I'd prefer not to die at all, but we can't always get what we want). Suppose there are 20,000 stormtroopers in total, and 1M "suspected terrorists" all armed, well there can't really be 100 stormtroopers outside now can there. Particularly as if this is happening in the US they'd need to do this really fast, so there's little chance that there would be 100, indeed in the past in just such situations there was normally no more than 10.

So here's the question you need to answer, you're going to die, or be tortured and die. You can either be slaughtered like a pig, or try to take some with you while your family tries to escape. So no your family is not necessarily going to be dead, especially if you have more than one weapon and you can arm that family too.

Will your neighbors be more likely to help defend you if you're defending yourself, or if you just submit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
Until you can explain to me logically how the average American's elementary cache of weapons would defeat our governments, who's budget for killing machines we've allowed to be endless, this is a fruitless debate. Really, what are you arguing? I am now under the impression that people who actually think their guns mean something are struck by paranoia, to be honest.

I don't have this paranoia. It doesn't mean I'm a trusting person, it just means that I enjoy life, I don't watch tv personalities that feed me the word, "oligarchy," I went to college, I work well for a living, I have plenty to keep me fat and happy, and I don't buy into sensationalist politik that tells me why I'd need a gun.

I have a gun because I enjoy target practice, but I'm not macho man enough to believe that it will ever serve me or my family. My #1 responsibility as a responsible gun owner is ensuring that it never affects my family for the wrong reasons. It very well might in a 1-on-1 showdown with a burglar given I have enough time to get to it and get my mind right, but to think anything more is, I've been saying for days, is the ultimate in naivete.
You're again missing the point, How did Vietnam work out for the entire US Military with all that hardware? How is Afghanistan working out? How did Afghanistan work out for the Soviets? How did Cuba work out for the incumbent government I hear Castro is still president? How about Northern Ireland did the British succeed here, or did the IRA gain enough concessions? What about El Salvador, where the FMNL took power from the government too. More pertinently how did a bunch of farmers with some Kentucky Rifles, and muskets defeat the greatest Empire that the world has ever seen?

You see the one missing point in your argument only INFANTRY can hold land, and an Infantryman's equipment is pretty much the same today as it was in 1776. The rifle has changed, and some of the equipment has improved, but it's the same role. You can't roll tanks into an area where that is held by infantry without infantry cover, unless you want to lose those tanks, in fact any of the heavy equipment can't be moved into infantry held enemy areas, without infantry cover because it'll be stolen or destroyed.

Now as far as "not buying into sensationalist politik" it's your option, try to remember that there is "sensationalist politik" on every side in an argument indeed you demonstrate such very admirably in your response. Just because you do not buy into one side does not mean you've not bought into any side. Indeed you've bought into at least one side, that being that heavy equipment and technology wins wars. No, no war has been won by heavy equipment and technology, they are won in blood, the side that is prepared to lose more blood regardless of the technology is the winner. WW2 was won by the Allies who until 1941 were technically and tactically inferior to the Axis, it's even debatable whether the allies were technically superior post 1941 but at least they were approaching technical parity, and yes the US Developed the Atomic Bomb, but it was too late for Europe, and even when it was used in Japan they were already trying to sue for peace.

Your overall argument is weakened by trying to question the education attainment of those who fervently believe in the 2nd Amendment as a backstop against a rogue government, it's ad hominem, and the sign of a weak argument. The fact remains that suppose the Government does go rogue, and we have another Mussolini, Stalin or Hitler right here in the US, NOT having arms to defend ourselves with is not going to prevent that. Having them is no guarantee that we could prevent that, but our chances are infinitely superior than if we do not have them. You can believe whatever you like, but I'd recommend reading about the Weimar republic and see whether you can see any parallels between the US in 2011 and Germany in the 1920s. History has a bad case of repeating itself.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:36 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I need a pistol so that if I am out in rural Alaska and fall down and break my ankle, I can shoot it off to show my location. Also to frighten away black bears.
We just got our first dog to hunt bear.....

Not sure I will really ever let him hunt.

I think it will all be competitions.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:41 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
I realize the second amendment guarantees our right to own a gun.
I am neither pro- or against-gun control. However this weekend I received an advertisement with the newspaper from a local sporting goods store. The multi-page magazine style ad focused on guns and many of the items made me ask the question "why would someone need this?"
The one that sticks out the most was a gattling gun replica which can shoot some crazy number of rounds per minute.
I understand people like to go hunting but you don't need pistols for that. Perhaps you would need a pistol to defend against a home invasion, but if you outlaw guns that becomes less of an issue.

I guess the main question is why do we need to have the right to own a gun?
For those who think outlawing guns would end gun crimes, think at how well marijuana prohibition has worked. If guns were made illegal, only criminals would carry them, and the law abiding citizen would no longer be able to protect their home.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:45 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
We just got our first dog to hunt bear.....

Not sure I will really ever let him hunt.

I think it will all be competitions.
What kind of dog did you get? I've been wanting a Karelian Bear Dog but not likely anytime soon.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
For those who think outlawing guns would end gun crimes, think at how well marijuana prohibition has worked. If guns were made illegal, only criminals would carry them, and the law abiding citizen would no longer be able to protect their home.

In addition what USED to be law abiding would suddenly be the criminal yet un tried. Once my Govt makes me illegal over the gun, then I can be as illegal as pleases me anywhere else under the law.

I haven't given any thought to that yet.

Before I do, if there is a ban how will the govt collect their banned items? Certainly not by a force of elite armed men... shudders

Old 01-24-2011, 04:58 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
This is why Alaskans carry a firearm:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies